Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dropping Camper at KOA campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dropping Camper at KOA campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody is out with a tape to verify every vehicle. Although parking might be extra tight at the visitor center about midway over. You could take the TC and not worry a bit. JMHO

However I recommend one of the bus tours. Will pick you up right at the campground and all can enjoy the scenery together as the driver talks about the local history. I highly recommend this and should be some what less than $300. Get reservations early, maybe before you arrive.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Access through the Eastern portion of the park is currently closed. Apparently the Indian tribe is denying access through their land because of the virus. Additionally the red busses have all been canceled for the year also due to the virus. That leaves the western approach only at this point.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

What's wrong with the free NP buses? They leave from both Apgar and St Mary's and meet at Logan Pass. There are numerous stops along the way.

Unfortunately the fare free shuttles are not running on the Going to the Sun road in 2020.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Nobody is out with a tape to verify every vehicle. Although parking might be extra tight at the visitor center about midway over. You could take the TC and not worry a bit. JMHO

However I recommend one of the bus tours. Will pick you up right at the campground and all can enjoy the scenery together as the driver talks about the local history. I highly recommend this and should be some what less than $300. Get reservations early, maybe before you arrive.

Tape measure? The rules are there for a reason, be a good example and OBEY them.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to the Sun Road will be bumper to bumper traffic. The wise grasshopper just completely skips driving a private vehicle, regardless of length, and takes the FREE hop-on/hop-off shuttle. Let somebody else endure the nerve-wracking drive while you bask in the beauty of the ride.

The road is narrow, really narrow, and has very tight corners. The drop-offs are spectacular, and if you rig happens to be a few inches too long, and you drop a wheel off the edge, you are not going to enjoy the ride down to the bottom. And did I mention the bumper to bumper traffic, both up and down?

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

What's wrong with the free NP buses? They leave from both Apgar and St Mary's and meet at Logan Pass. There are numerous stops along the way.

Unfortunately the fare free shuttles are not running on the Going to the Sun road in 2020.

What? Oh, no! That makes the traffic even worse.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never dropped at a KOA, but Have pretty much any other place from NF campgrounds to state parks to private RV parks. Never been a question.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Tape measure? The rules are there for a reason, be a good example and OBEY them.

Don't count on it. I had my truck camper measured at Zion in order to travel through the tunnels without an extra fee. The first time, they decided I was OK. A few days later they measured again and said no. I guess they did not include the width of the mirrors the first time.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are comparing the guys who make a living out of measurements.
Its been confirmed lot of times that no Highway Patrol carries tape measure.
Lot of boats are 10' wide and towed without "oversize" signs.
Good number of RV rigs come to California having more than allowable 65', yet nobody got a ticket for it.

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You are comparing the guys who make a living out of measurements.
Its been confirmed lot of times that no Highway Patrol carries tape measure.
Lot of boats are 10' wide and towed without "oversize" signs.
Good number of RV rigs come to California having more than allowable 65', yet nobody got a ticket for it.

It's just that some stupid people disobey the law and don't get caught.

It should not be an encouragement for others to do it. Warped mentality.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dropping Camper at KOA campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.