cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Diesel Truck Miles: How many is too many

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm beginning to look at late model used 1 ton Diesel SRW trucks to tow my new Reflection 5th Wheel. My 1 ton gas Ram with the 6.4 Hemi tows it fine but with 3.73 gears I'm getting 6.9 MPG before putting anything in it and the RV is long enough that I have difficulty getting into and out of gas stations when towing. I would love to buy a new truck but since it will be primarily used as a tow vehicle, I can't justify buying new. I know very little about diesel trucks and I'm not brand loyal. I do know that the maintenance is more costly than a gas truck, the DEF is a little pricey, if taken care of, diesel motors will last a very long time and the resale is much better than with a gas truck. So if you were me, how many miles would be too many miles to consider? For instance, you would want a one year old truck to have no more than X number of miles. A 2 year old truck to have no more than X number of miles and so on. Keep in mind, not every truck will have only highway miles or have been used as a tow vehicle and there won't be any way of knowing. Also, what are some of the other things you think would be important to look for? Ideally I'd like to find one with the puck system but beggars can't be choosers so I can't let that be a deal breaker if everything else looks good. Thanks in advance for helping me to understand what to look for.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
39 REPLIES 39

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Qualifying for next race perhaps w/ that 2.7 turbo!

Do you have chains for your snowmobiles, or is that just a NW issue?

??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:

Do you have chains for your snowmobiles, or is that just a NW issue?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy an older truck that has been taken care of. Under 200,000 miles would be my rule of thumb. Under 140,000 would be ideal.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Me Again wrote:

We bought a Ford Edge ST with Eco-boost 2.7L twin turbo 335HP 380 lb ft of torque today. Things happen. Chris

Very nice!! You will love that 2.7, if your wife lets you drive once in a while!

Congrats,

Jerry

EXACTLY!!!

Nice she let him post a pic of HER car.

I bet she says its fun to drive!

Very cool!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
If your looking to purchase a 1-3 year old truck you might as well purchase a new one.

Dang, we are thinking alike more and more!!!

Next thing you know he will be buying a RAM and be putting a B&W hitch in it.

We bought a Ford Edge ST with Eco-boost 2.7L twin turbo 335HP 380 lb ft of torque today. Things happen. Chris

My parents purchased their first Ford (Edge Titanium) last year. Never thought that would happen.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:

Very nice!! You will love that 2.7, if your wife lets you drive once in a while!

Congrats,

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
If your looking to purchase a 1-3 year old truck you might as well purchase a new one.

Next thing you know he will be buying a RAM and be putting a B&W hitch in it.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

If it was going to be my daily driver I would but since it's going to used primarily for towing, I prefer to let someone else pay for the huge depreciation that occurs over the first couple of years of ownership.

All fine until you compare the price and look at the finance rates for new vs used. Look for manufacturer and dealer incentives, it might even be cheaper to by a new one. Then there is warranty also to consider. Good luck on your search. Chris

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
whjco wrote:

Frankly, if he's already getting 6.9 towing with his present truck, a Cummins diesel isn't going to get but about 8 - 10 mpg at best with that fifth wheel. I agree that getting a diesel doesn't make much sense. And then there's also the price disparity between gas and diesel fuel. Presently, diesel fuel is $2.59 here and gas is $1.99. Before the pandemic hit, the price difference between diesel and gas was .20 to .50 difference extra for diesel so that absorbs the fuel savings substantially. DEF isn't a huge factor as it's pretty inexpensive at Wal-Mart. The only reason to trade for a diesel would be for the improved pulling power.

Spin the story however you like, but this ^ is about a 90% false statement full of hater-aid for diesels.
First, using the price difference between the 2 types of fuel is false, depending where you're at. I filled up 3x last weekend with diesel that was $.20-.50 cheaper than gas. And $.75 cheaper with the red handled pump!! lol
You gotta ASSume the same fuel price as it varies, in the past, now and will in the future.
And 7mpg in a gasser is more like 12 in a diesel unless you cant make the gasser go fast enough to get worse mileage than that and you're running 75mph in the diesel!

But I'm sure the OP knows this. That's half the reason he want's to dump a relatively new, good performing HD gasser. Because the fuel mileage is ABYSMAL when towing

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobWNY wrote:
MFL wrote:
Just a thought Rob (OP). A new Ford F350 crew cab with 7.3 gas, 10-speed, and 4.30 gears, would be about same price as 1-2 year old diesel. The Ford crew cab has a 48 gal gas tank. I think you would get a noticeable improvement in mpg, towing or empty.

Jerry

Thanks for that info Jerry. I'll certainly look into that!

:S
Nothing like making the same mistake twice.
Basically pay as much as a slightly used diesel for a bigger gas tank and only marginally better towing performance with the added bonus of big depreciation.....
This thread will invariably be a gas v diesel peeing match like the other 1000s of threads just like this.
Tow rig only, not a lot of miles? Whatโ€™s youโ€™re budget and how modern do you want it to be?
Personally Iโ€™d be looking for a deleted LMM or a LML Duramax. Find one thatโ€™s like new and well maintained and enjoy having your cake and eating it too.
Or an early 4th gen deleted G56 Ram diesel. Basically the ultimate towing rig.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
If all I was going to use it for was towing a trailer or hauling a camper 100,000 miles wouldn't scare me.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Just a thought Rob (OP). A new Ford F350 crew cab with 7.3 gas, 10-speed, and 4.30 gears, would be about same price as 1-2 year old diesel. The Ford crew cab has a 48 gal gas tank. I think you would get a noticeable improvement in mpg, towing or empty.

Jerry

Thanks for that info Jerry. I'll certainly look into that!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.