Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Used Diesel Truck Miles: How many is too many
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used Diesel Truck Miles: How many is too many

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Mtofell12016, your 2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS only has a GVWR of 10,645 lbs. not near the near 14,000 lbs. that the OP's 5er could weigh. Not mentioned is comfort of the tow, 14,000# is near the top end of the tow range for the 6.4 hemi, and it will be reving pretty good.

308BHDS GVWR is 11,700# but I definitely understand your point. I totally get that the diesel does the job better but was really commenting since OP's original statement was that his current truck, "tows if fine". The whole range things is definitely a consideration as well that I wasn't thinking of. I'm usually ready to pee after 250 miles [emoticon] Also, I'm still just a weekend warrior so I'm rarely traveling far enough for it to matter much.

Mtofell12016, The OP appears to have a GD Reflection 311BHS, Dry 11,185# GVWR 13,995#, Dry Pin 2,180# length 36' 10". This is a payload of 2,810#.
The OP states that it tows fine unloaded, well if the OP uses half of the payload or 1,405# now the 5er weighs 12,590# a bit less than my current Copper Canyon. The 2001 Ram tow it fine, small chip and RV275 injectors, likely about 300 hp, maybe 610 lb. ft of torque, with a 5 speed manual and 3.55's I could pull most normal hwy grades at speed limit or near. It did very well for a 17 year old TV with 300,000 miles.
Step ahead 15 years, the new to us 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW, 3.73's 385 hp and 900 lb. ft. of torque. Well the ease of towing is night and day.The 6.4 Hemi of the same year had 410 Hp, but only 429 lb. ft. of torque less than half of the diesel, big difference in moving a load.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the OP is redefining his definition of "Tows Fine".
He is realizing his MPG'S are bad which means his travel range is poor forcing him to fuel more frequently at tight gas stations.
All in all he is not enjoying his tow experience, which has led him to consider going diesel to a late model diesel.
He has seen how a late model gasser performs and is not satisfied.
Unfortunately now he is caught in the upgrade spiral.
Getting the right truck the 2nd time always cost more in the long run.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transfer tank

IF poor fuel mileage and tight fuel islands are his only true issues, then there are SEVERAL DOT approved gasoline transfer tanks. Even with a diesel, he's gonna probably want to add a tank for the same reasons.

Cheap diesel doesn't exist on the interstate cause you usually have to get a few miles into town to find good deals.In my town of 30+K residents, there are only 2 stations that could handle a truck and a 30 ft long trailer without doing a lot of fancy driving skills.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought Rob (OP). A new Ford F350 crew cab with 7.3 gas, 10-speed, and 4.30 gears, would be about same price as 1-2 year old diesel. The Ford crew cab has a 48 gal gas tank. I think you would get a noticeable improvement in mpg, towing or empty.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

A 2-3 year old anything from 10-25k miles a year would not bother me. 30 if I could see it had an hour meter, and Ave say 40+mph. I would worry more about a truck that was in the 25-mph poo er hour.
Low miles means it may have sat a lot. Both good and bad. Being new, should not be as much of an issue vs say 10+ yrs old.
It might be worth the few dollars more for one of the 2-3 year old certified trucks too! Assuming you find one
Marty

Actually 10-25k on a 2-3yr old truck is low miles. That works out to somewhere on the order of 3k to 12.5k per year. Not sure about truck specific but passenger vehicle average 12-15k/yr.

Really on a truck under 3yr, unless there are crazy miles (150-200k miles), I wouldn't worry too much. It really hasn't had time for things to fail due to age and sitting and really even a moderately high number of miles (say 100k) isn't indicative of a drivetrain that's worn out. It likely means it spent a lot of time cruising on the highway which does almost no damage per mile.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think if I was in the market for a 2 year old diesel with the idea that I would be putting few miles on it I'd look for a higher mileage unit to start with. Assuming you can find a real nice high mileage unit that is depreciated significantley on account of its mileage. You should be able to get 300,000 miles out of a new truck. If you only put 10k on it per year and you start with something that has 100k on the clock it's going to take you 20 years to get to 300k.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Just a thought Rob (OP). A new Ford F350 crew cab with 7.3 gas, 10-speed, and 4.30 gears, would be about same price as 1-2 year old diesel. The Ford crew cab has a 48 gal gas tank. I think you would get a noticeable improvement in mpg, towing or empty.

Jerry

Thanks for that info Jerry. I'll certainly look into that!

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all I was going to use it for was towing a trailer or hauling a camper 100,000 miles wouldn't scare me.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

Thanks for that info Jerry. I'll certainly look into that!

[emoticon]
Nothing like making the same mistake twice.
Basically pay as much as a slightly used diesel for a bigger gas tank and only marginally better towing performance with the added bonus of big depreciation.....
This thread will invariably be a gas v diesel peeing match like the other 1000s of threads just like this.
Tow rig only, not a lot of miles? What’s you’re budget and how modern do you want it to be?
Personally I’d be looking for a deleted LMM or a LML Duramax. Find one that’s like new and well maintained and enjoy having your cake and eating it too.
Or an early 4th gen deleted G56 Ram diesel. Basically the ultimate towing rig.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco wrote:

Frankly, if he's already getting 6.9 towing with his present truck, a Cummins diesel isn't going to get but about 8 - 10 mpg at best with that fifth wheel. I agree that getting a diesel doesn't make much sense. And then there's also the price disparity between gas and diesel fuel. Presently, diesel fuel is $2.59 here and gas is $1.99. Before the pandemic hit, the price difference between diesel and gas was .20 to .50 difference extra for diesel so that absorbs the fuel savings substantially. DEF isn't a huge factor as it's pretty inexpensive at Wal-Mart. The only reason to trade for a diesel would be for the improved pulling power.

Spin the story however you like, but this ^ is about a 90% false statement full of hater-aid for diesels.
First, using the price difference between the 2 types of fuel is false, depending where you're at. I filled up 3x last weekend with diesel that was $.20-.50 cheaper than gas. And $.75 cheaper with the red handled pump!! lol
You gotta ASSume the same fuel price as it varies, in the past, now and will in the future.
And 7mpg in a gasser is more like 12 in a diesel unless you cant make the gasser go fast enough to get worse mileage than that and you're running 75mph in the diesel!

But I'm sure the OP knows this. That's half the reason he want's to dump a relatively new, good performing HD gasser. Because the fuel mileage is ABYSMAL when towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used Diesel Truck Miles: How many is too many
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.