cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Question- truck tires or ST

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
So last wednesday pulling my trailer, on one of my tires the tread completley came off the tire almost like it was a retread but they were carlyle tires from the factory, probably less that 5000 miles on them. Took off the plastic fender over the tires and messed up a chunk of metal on my slide. Im going to get 4 new tires, can i just put a truck tire on my trailer with load range E or do I need to stick with a trailer tire? Im not a big fan of ST trailer tires. Thanks for your input. Seems like carlyle would be liable to me
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB
13 REPLIES 13

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
I will add this.

Been towing for over 20 years without a blow-out but witnessed a few in are party.

Trust me here.....run your trailer tires at max psi cold.
I'm willing to bet most blowouts are caused by heat buildup.
The culprit being low tire pressure.

When shopping for LT tires, be aware of load ratings.
Yes be aware, but....... The ratings really are not that far apart. IIRC, size for size, an ST will have 10% more capacity. The big problem is the the tires the manufacturers spec, usually leave no little to no margin. So one needs to go up in load rating or size, or both. Not a big deal and easily done in most cases. Some will have a harder time, but all can be upgraded if one is willing.

About now is when someone usually chimes in with veiled legal ramifications of straying away from what the sticker on the TT states... Well..

Look at all of the jacked up trucks with big tires on the road... they are straying away from their stickers too. And to the detriment of their trucks performance in many cases.

The mods I am suggesting for TT tires are not that extreme... In fact nobody even notices that they have been done. The performance has been increased a whole bunch. The choice is yours. Just don't let a sticker keep you hand cuffed to poor quality tires.... Unless you are OK with it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you get new tires, give the suspension a good looking over. When I had a blowout on the TT, I found that that the cheap OEM shackle bushings had worn through. On the curb side (where I had the blowout) the equalizer that goes between the springs was frozen with rust and couldn't pivot. So instead of equalizing the load between the tires, the front tire was overloaded and is likely what caused it to blow.

Now is a good time to replace the shackle bushings (Nev-R-Fail work well) and upgrade the equalizers to something like the EZ Flex.

Here is one thread on the topic.

Also be sure to have those new tires balanced!!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Big-O sells National Big Max ST tires, sounds like a typical Chinese product to me.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had carlisles on my trailer three times. They replaced the cheapo barely rated for the RV Chinese tires, which only lasted a year. My first set were Carlisle RH in an E rating. Replaced those again with another set. Then when those were due (every 5 years) I installed a set of the new at the time Carlisle HD's. I never had an issue with any of them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was always of your mind set. Truck tires better than trailer tires. I do not necessarily feel that way these days.

A cheap quality truck tire isn't a good idea either. But a quality trailer ST tire from a reputable tire store (I like Big-O in my region of travel) is likely preferable. Why?

I assume you have a tandem axle trailer. When you turn, those trailer tires (the tires on one side) are so close to each other, that one drags left across its pathway, and the other drags right across its pathway. The trailer turning pivot point is theoretically midway between where each tire touches the road.

So unless you are only driving straight, your two tandem tires, on each side, are constantly dragging left and right across the surface. Tight turns are worse than slight turns. That wears tread and places great force on sidewall strength.

Those side forces are what a trailer tire is designed for: stronger sidewall construction, differing tread rubber compounds to accommodate for those dragging forces.

Truck tires are designed for stronger sidewall puncture resistance (I assume) higher cargo weight carrying capacity, etc.

If you have a single axle, all those things need to be re-evaluated for your actual needs (and tire costs), but I have bought three or four tandem axle trailer tire sets from Big-O and never had a concern. My OEM (cheaper quality) tires seemed to wear out fast, but fortunately, I've never had one lose a tread or blow out.

You can find affordable, good enough quality ST tires, and I would recommend them over a LT tire just because of the design differences.

Also, trailer tires are usually designed with a tread that helps move water away from the footprint, as a towed unit being pulled by the truck and its "forward traction" design. While a truck tire is designed generally, for the type tread you buy (highway, all season, off road). If you have a LT tire with off road traction capability (maybe you think they look cool) you may well lose "pull behind, keep it in a straight line, no hydroplaning forward motion".

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Castle Rock = run of the mill load C/D E china may pops.

LT tires that size and load range haven't been made in years. If your wanting to use a LT tire your gonna' have to go with 16" wheels. Lots of different LT E in 16" still left on the market.

The new gen ST rated tires like the Providers....Carlisle HD ....and Goodyear Endurance all have much better reliability/service record now days if you want to stick with the 225/75-15 E size tires.

You sure don't need a load G tire on that size trailer.

Sounds good, naw im not gonna upgrade rim size, ill stick with same size but look for a way better tire like you mentioned.
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Castle Rock = run of the mill load C/D E china may pops.

LT tires that size and load range haven't been made in years. If your wanting to use a LT tire your gonna' have to go with 16" wheels. Lots of different LT E in 16" still left on the market.

The new gen ST rated tires like the Providers....Carlisle HD ....and Goodyear Endurance all have much better reliability/service record now days if you want to stick with the 225/75-15 E size tires.

You sure don't need a load G tire on that size trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
So I take it back on name of tires. they are castle rock ST and size 225/75/15 Load range E
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrade your load ratings on your tires. Remember, the manufacturer got the cheapest bid on tires for the trailers. Buy quality tires and keep them at max PSI. I upgraded to G rated tires and been very happy with my 5th wheel trailer tires.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I will add this.

Been towing for over 20 years without a blow-out but witnessed a few in are party.

Trust me here.....run your trailer tires at max psi cold.
I'm willing to bet most blowouts are caused by heat buildup.
The culprit being low tire pressure.

When shopping for LT tires, be aware of load ratings.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it has 16” wheels you can find good LT tires, but also good heavy ST tires.
If it’s 15” or smaller wheels, STs are your best option. Buy the heaviest rated ones you can in the proper size.
Someone will invariably post about 15” or smaller LT tires but there are not any made that are load Rated as high is good trailer tires
Also note, sometimes trailer tire issues are the tires fault as in cheap or old tires. Other times it’s inflation or lack thereof or tire damage.
In your case, sounds like cheap tires were the issue if you know they were properly inflated.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It is virtually impossible to find LT tires in some sizes, what size do you need?

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
About anything you put on will be an upgrade from factory ST trailer tires.

A E rated LT tire would certainly work and likely what I end up doing.