Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tire Question- truck tires or ST
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Question- truck tires or ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So last wednesday pulling my trailer, on one of my tires the tread completley came off the tire almost like it was a retread but they were carlyle tires from the factory, probably less that 5000 miles on them. Took off the plastic fender over the tires and messed up a chunk of metal on my slide. Im going to get 4 new tires, can i just put a truck tire on my trailer with load range E or do I need to stick with a trailer tire? Im not a big fan of ST trailer tires. Thanks for your input. Seems like carlyle would be liable to me

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
1999 Northland 8ft Camper
Honda 2000 Generator

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About anything you put on will be an upgrade from factory ST trailer tires.

A E rated LT tire would certainly work and likely what I end up doing.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is virtually impossible to find LT tires in some sizes, what size do you need?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has 16” wheels you can find good LT tires, but also good heavy ST tires.
If it’s 15” or smaller wheels, STs are your best option. Buy the heaviest rated ones you can in the proper size.
Someone will invariably post about 15” or smaller LT tires but there are not any made that are load Rated as high is good trailer tires
Also note, sometimes trailer tire issues are the tires fault as in cheap or old tires. Other times it’s inflation or lack thereof or tire damage.
In your case, sounds like cheap tires were the issue if you know they were properly inflated.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add this.

Been towing for over 20 years without a blow-out but witnessed a few in are party.

Trust me here.....run your trailer tires at max psi cold.
I'm willing to bet most blowouts are caused by heat buildup.
The culprit being low tire pressure.

When shopping for LT tires, be aware of load ratings.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgrade your load ratings on your tires. Remember, the manufacturer got the cheapest bid on tires for the trailers. Buy quality tires and keep them at max PSI. I upgraded to G rated tires and been very happy with my 5th wheel trailer tires.

kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I take it back on name of tires. they are castle rock ST and size 225/75/15 Load range E

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Castle Rock = run of the mill load C/D E china may pops.

LT tires that size and load range haven't been made in years. If your wanting to use a LT tire your gonna' have to go with 16" wheels. Lots of different LT E in 16" still left on the market.

The new gen ST rated tires like the Providers....Carlisle HD ....and Goodyear Endurance all have much better reliability/service record now days if you want to stick with the 225/75-15 E size tires.

You sure don't need a load G tire on that size trailer.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Castle Rock = run of the mill load C/D E china may pops.

LT tires that size and load range haven't been made in years. If your wanting to use a LT tire your gonna' have to go with 16" wheels. Lots of different LT E in 16" still left on the market.

The new gen ST rated tires like the Providers....Carlisle HD ....and Goodyear Endurance all have much better reliability/service record now days if you want to stick with the 225/75-15 E size tires.

You sure don't need a load G tire on that size trailer.

Sounds good, naw im not gonna upgrade rim size, ill stick with same size but look for a way better tire like you mentioned.

Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was always of your mind set. Truck tires better than trailer tires. I do not necessarily feel that way these days.

A cheap quality truck tire isn't a good idea either. But a quality trailer ST tire from a reputable tire store (I like Big-O in my region of travel) is likely preferable. Why?

I assume you have a tandem axle trailer. When you turn, those trailer tires (the tires on one side) are so close to each other, that one drags left across its pathway, and the other drags right across its pathway. The trailer turning pivot point is theoretically midway between where each tire touches the road.

So unless you are only driving straight, your two tandem tires, on each side, are constantly dragging left and right across the surface. Tight turns are worse than slight turns. That wears tread and places great force on sidewall strength.

Those side forces are what a trailer tire is designed for: stronger sidewall construction, differing tread rubber compounds to accommodate for those dragging forces.

Truck tires are designed for stronger sidewall puncture resistance (I assume) higher cargo weight carrying capacity, etc.

If you have a single axle, all those things need to be re-evaluated for your actual needs (and tire costs), but I have bought three or four tandem axle trailer tire sets from Big-O and never had a concern. My OEM (cheaper quality) tires seemed to wear out fast, but fortunately, I've never had one lose a tread or blow out.

You can find affordable, good enough quality ST tires, and I would recommend them over a LT tire just because of the design differences.

Also, trailer tires are usually designed with a tread that helps move water away from the footprint, as a towed unit being pulled by the truck and its "forward traction" design. While a truck tire is designed generally, for the type tread you buy (highway, all season, off road). If you have a LT tire with off road traction capability (maybe you think they look cool) you may well lose "pull behind, keep it in a straight line, no hydroplaning forward motion".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Question- truck tires or ST
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.