cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater keeps stopping

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a while now, our water heater has been acting up.

When we turn on the switch, it clicks on and we hear the familiar propane burning sound.
Repeatedly, then after a minute or so, a click sounds and the propane burning noise stops. A minute or so silence, then a clicking sound and the propane burning noise again.

This continues for several cycles (all the while the water heater light inside the RV stays on) until hopefully the heater stays on and we can take a shower 20 minutes later.

Any idea what is causing this? Some part that is failing?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
I once had the exact problem. Turned out to be a bad ground.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood or Suburban?

If Atwood, take a look at this topic I posted about a year ago. After replacing the ECO and Tstat switches to no avail, I replaced the control board, which fixed it.

Atwood Water Heater Problem Topic in Tech Issues

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check and clean the multi-wire connector.
If it is Atwood check the ground connection behind the gas valve for good clean contact.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I went to help a guy once when his water heater would not stay lit/light right, it seems that he had forgotten change the water valves from water heater bypass to flow through water heater.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 or 4 different "safety" cut offs on a propane powered water heater. They all have to work correctly.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure what brand you have. Did you check the manual or internet. Sounds like a thermal cut off switch.