cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any new developments in hitches?

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Surveyor from 2012 to 2018. Lots of good memories. A lot of work. I particularly dreaded hitching and unhitching it. Lug the heavy truck side bit. Put the pin in. Aim with a backup camera. Hope the trailer height is right. Adjust the trailer height. Crank down the trailer. Move the truck half in forward because the safety doesn't go all the way down. Put in the safety pin. Crank up the trailer so the WDH bars can be fit. Fit the WDH bars. Put in the WHD bars safeties. Put in the two chains. Put in the breakaway cable. Crank the crank to lower the trailer. Put in the 7 pin. Remove the wheel chocks. Walk around the trailer. Extend the tow mirrors.

Aren't there any hitch systems you can just drive up to?

It may not sounds like a lot. But on a weekend trip, time really counts.
23 REPLIES 23

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the only answer is a fifth wheel. It gets rid of those annoying hitch/ball issues. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually it is no big issue me. It is my last vestige of setting up camp, when RVing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
A tow vehicle that doesnโ€™t need โ€œsway controlโ€ or weight distribution, pintle hitche, and a good memory.

Remember how many turns of the jack to reset trailer for hitching,

Back it with the jaw open till you crash into the eye. Raise the jack, close the jaw, connect chains and electric, hop in and drive off.

Every time I get in a fight with a ball hitch I claim Iโ€™m going to switch the fleet to pintles.

Had one of our drivers haul a loader on a beaver tail trailer with the pintle hitch upside down. He had to jack it "up" into the hitch and force the safety clip to close. That was his last day in my employ.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Skelshy wrote:
...Adjust the trailer height. Crank down the trailer. .....Crank the crank to lower the trailer.

Sounds like you need an electric jack.
Bob

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edit

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Teach the little woman how to do it.
Problem solved, no out of pocket expense!

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Andersen for the easier hookup and set up. I had a ProPride, love the tow hated hooking up so much got rid of it when I got my new truck.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Slow down and enjoy the process!!

This is part of the ritual of going camping to me! Towing is one of my favorite parts!!

If you do not have an electric tongue jack please get one, they are a game change for sure!

Also, I don't have a back up camera so practice backing up and find reference points in your mirrors that can help you. Of course, I have a Tahoe and my Tahoe has a hump directly in the middle of the rear hatch for the rear windshield wiper. Just find your reference point and go for it.

Thanks and JMHO!

Jeremiah

This works as well. If the tail gate handle bolts on a pickup are visible they are usually a pretty good center reference point.

Brettmm92
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I learned is that instead of backing into the ball and trying to get it perfect the first time and most likely missing and trying again multiple times is I just back up slowly with the tongue slightly higher than it needs to be and stop about a foot before the tongue, walk back to it to see what adjustments I need to do with steering or the tongue itself and then continue to back in slowly. I go back to the tongue how many times I feel necessary. Although I'm walking back and forth it's less frustrating to me than trying to get the ball in perfectly without getting out of the TV and failing multiple times. If you have a parking brake it shouldn't be too time consuming.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slow down and enjoy the process!!

This is part of the ritual of going camping to me! Towing is one of my favorite parts!!

If you do not have an electric tongue jack please get one, they are a game change for sure!

Also, I don't have a back up camera so practice backing up and find reference points in your mirrors that can help you. Of course, I have a Tahoe and my Tahoe has a hump directly in the middle of the rear hatch for the rear windshield wiper. Just find your reference point and go for it.

Thanks and JMHO!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Short answerโ€”no.
However, if your tongue weight is about 700 pounds or less, itโ€™s lots easier to use an Andersen Hitch. Still have to back up straight, stop under the ball and attach everything. Takes me about 5 minutes.
Takes longer to load all of the adult beverages required.

I second the Andersen. I have used a drawtite in the past and hated the spring bars. On my light trailer, I am wanting the sway control more than weight distribution. Quick and easy hook-up.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skelshy wrote:
It may not sounds like a lot. But on a weekend trip, time really counts.

That entire process takes me about 4 minutes... with my 5 year old "helping" me. The only other faster method is a motorhome where you don't have a toad.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Short answerโ€”no.
However, if your tongue weight is about 700 pounds or less, itโ€™s lots easier to use an Andersen Hitch. Still have to back up straight, stop under the ball and attach everything. Takes me about 5 minutes.

I agree, that and a electric jack too

Yep. I love my electric jack. Gotten so spoiled Iโ€™ve often wished I had one on the boat trailers.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
Short answerโ€”no.

I agree, that and a electric jack too

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I read that you are still cranking up and down. Electric tongue jacks should be standard equipment and reduce the work by half.