cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing batteries with solar

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I am updating my 2 6 volt batteries with 2 new of the same type/size etc.
I remember (fuzzy brain) having to cover the panels when I did the final hookup when installing the panels.
Do I need to take the same precautions when switching to my new batteries?

Jesseannie
9 REPLIES 9

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
Your charge controller probably recommends a circuit breaker between the panels and the CC.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Do the job at night. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Smart never thought of that.

Jesseannie

dedmiston
Do the job at night. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
All you have to do is disconnect power from the panels to controller. Then service the battery. Reconnect the panels to the controller after the controller is connected to the new battery.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you folks I will make sure the panels are completely covered before working on the batteries.

Jesseannie

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, precautions are necessary. I prefer covering my panels with a tarp.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely either disconnect the panels from the controller or cover them with cardboard.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, cover the panels. A lot of controllers do not like power from the panels when the battery is not connected.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to stop the feed from the panels somehow. Usually a shut-off is installed.