cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I do everything pretty well with the travel trailer. But, backing into a tight campsite sometimes just stresses me out. In September we went down the the beach and that was the tightest spot I have ever tried to get into. I managed it with the help of a neighbor. This last week we were down at the beach again, fairly tight spot, I ht it pretty much the first time.

I spoke with the guy that hauls trailers back and forth to campsites. He said that there's no perfect. He said he picks a spot on the ground as his pivot point. He comes in at an angle and when that spot is between the trailer axles he "jack-knives" the trailer into the spot where he wants it. Nevertheless, backing 30 feet of trailer can be stressful.

Any tricks or pointers you use?
47 REPLIES 47

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Let's just pretend something for a moment.

If you can "see" this in your mind, from ground level and from an above view, indulge me a moment here.

What if your tow vehicle had a hitch in front? Let's just pretend you have a bumper pull travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel.

If you had a hitch on the front of your vehicle and could hook up the trailer, can you visualize in your mind exactly what you'd have to do to easily and successfully place your trailer exactly where you wanted it? It's perfectly fine to stop and reposition a bit, that's just fine to do.

If you can "think and see" this through your "minds eye" it may help in the normal situation.

Best wishes to you, good luck.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very spoiled. I work for an RV dealer and set up the monthly shows at the fairgrounds. I'll park around 80 trailers of all sizes in a couple of days. When I'm done they're all perfectly aligned and look great, if I may brag. But I use a fork lift. Having a 40 foot triple-axle on the end of the forks is nothing.

But let me try to back up my own 40' triple-axle with my long bed truck into a campsite and it can be quite difficult. What I'm used to doing with my forklift I can't do as well with my truck and it can be embarrassing. So don't feel bad if you're having difficulties.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
That video is ok but it is only half of the maneuver. Here is how to turn the "scoop" into the "S" maneuver.

EXample: Site is on the left (drivers side). Always try to start with the site on the left.

1. Approach site from right side of road and swing to the left so you are lined up at the beginning of the site on the left side of the road (this is the first part of the S)

2. Slowly drive across the road to the right side (this is the 2nd stage of the S)

3. Turn left and drive across the road to the left side and stop. This should leave you with the truck pointed towards the left side of the road, the trailer pointed toward the right side of the road and angled across the road with the rear of the trailer positioned to enter the site. (this is the 3rd and last stage of the S maneuver).

4. Now, you should be able to start backing up and follow your trailer right into your spot.

After a little practice, you will be able to judge very accurately exactly where to start the S maneuver and where to stop. If your trailer has a long overhang in the rear, be careful of the tail swing when you start the S maneuver if there is a tree or other object
nearby on either side.

If it makes a bit easier to visualize, think of this maneuver as a backwards "S".
I used this for years and could usually position the trailer in the first try.
Hope this helps! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had limited success with the scoop.. I find that I do better to pull past the site a good bit, site on the left (although I have done it successfully on the right side) and carefully push it into the site by watching the trailer axle locations.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:
The problem with "the scoop" is a lot of smaller sites only have a single wide road, with lovely boulders and trees lining the lane. There's not much room to "scoop" and if you take it to the extreme, you end up with the passenger side of the truck against the lane edge, leaving you no further room to maneuver.
I will grant, that with adequate room, it does position your trailer for a better approach.

Timed right the scoop lets you start with the trailer axles close to the edge of road at the site. This will reduce the width of road you need to get your trailer in the site. On a narrow road, site on left. When you stop TV should be straight with and near the left side. The trailer axle should be tight to left side of road, and just past the drive. Crank hard to right, move back just a little to start increasing the angle between TT and TV, then move steering back to center. As you come back, still left of road center, the trailer will get deeper in site, and closer to perpendicular to road. At the right time you will need to cut steer to left to keep TV in front of trailer

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with "the scoop" is a lot of smaller sites only have a single wide road, with lovely boulders and trees lining the lane. There's not much room to "scoop" and if you take it to the extreme, you end up with the passenger side of the truck against the lane edge, leaving you no further room to maneuver.
I will grant, that with adequate room, it does position your trailer for a better approach.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

joedekock
Explorer
Explorer
Spot on! I follow this process as well with the exception of #2 I pull the rear of the trailer about 3 feet past the spot im backing into.

wnjj wrote:
My general trailer backing thoughts:

1. Back toward the driver's side if at all possible.
2. Pull forward further past the spot than you think.
3. Start with your trailer and tow vehicle closer to the side of the road that you're going to back toward. This leaves room for your tow vehicle to swing out when chasing the trailer after the turn has started.
4. Get the trailer starting to turn gently at first then adjust the vehicle to sharpen the cut at the right time (i.e. what the trailer guy called jack-knifing).
5. Pull forward 1-2 feet if corrections are needed to cut sharper or less sharp. Earlier minor corrections are easier than trying to catch up later.

For tight spots I find cutting too sharp then pulling forward occasionally to "shuffle" the front of the vehicle around the "corner" works best.
2019 Silverado 1500
2020 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE
Me, Wife, 5 kids, and a Doodle

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
I always try and do the Swoop technique I think they call it when ever possible.

This is the one you are thinking of, works well.

I was thinking of the same video.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
And don't mind and ignore those line of people snickering as you back up your new rig for the nth try.;)

At some point, someone will take pity and offer to do it for you.:B

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with all those saying take it slow. Get out and look at everything often. There isnt a time limit so dont stress over it.
And get a backup/rearview camera or 2.

Also, many CGs have someone who will park your rig for you if you ask.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a place near you that is closed with large empty parking lot and painted lines then go and practice. Warehouse, weigh station , etc. Practice drivers side backing and off side backing. It is a confidence booster. Take so impromptu cones like milk jugs. As u improve use ur cones to make it more challenging.
Was never really taught a technique myself just learned by doing trial and error. Boats, stock trailers , flatbeds etc, Then there's hay wagons, ugh.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, and I'll assure you this is quite accurate, 90% of backing up successfully, and safely, is positioning your rig in a good position before you even start to back up.

When you are coming up to the spot where you are to back in, take a good look at it. Get out and on your feet if you feel the need. Take a good look. Then drive your rig into a position where it will be the easiest it can be to back in. The less wiggle wiggle turn turn you have to do to back up is the best positioning.

Feel no shame, none at all, no embarrassment, just stop, get out and look, take your time.

If you are starting to back up and your rig is a all katty-wampus and discombobulated and it's going to be an ordeal with lots of cranking the steering wheel...STOP and reconsider. You may be a LOT better off to drive off and come back in and reposition your rig better.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
I always try and do the Swoop technique I think they call it when ever possible.

This is the one you are thinking of, works well.

Yes that is it!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
One trip we had a double spot that we shared with some friends. We got there first. I should have known it was going to difficult to get in by the reaction from the ranger when we checked. There was no way i could get in driving in the proper direction on the access road. The road was too narrow with trees close to the edge and the spot was angled the wrong direction. I ended up backing about 500 ft down the road and hit the spot on the first try. Had to go the wrong way out the road to get out.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS