Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lower your expectations. By that I mean, do not expect to back in perfectly. Be patient. Yell at your wife, and apologize. Get one of those shirts that says, "I am sorry for the things I said while backing in the the trailer". When done, have a beer. After about 20 times you will start to get the hang of it.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Practice. Practice.Practice. After 33 years driving semi I am fairly confident backing up anything, anywhere.
However, sometimes no matter what you do you just can't get in the right place.
Last year at a CG I worked for five minutes to get in a spot, got frustrated and drove around the loop to start over and hit in one try.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]Not mentioned is that point in jack-knife where your trailer tires won't move anymore and the coupling will just bend on pivot point.

I have scuff marks on my hitch to prove it, lol.

RICK-ards Red

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with taking it slow and having a spotter with hand signals discussed before hand. One site I was backing into my DW was the spotter but the flies were so bad she was waving her arms so much I didn't know whether to go forward, back up or steal home!!

2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One trip we had a double spot that we shared with some friends. We got there first. I should have known it was going to difficult to get in by the reaction from the ranger when we checked. There was no way i could get in driving in the proper direction on the access road. The road was too narrow with trees close to the edge and the spot was angled the wrong direction. I ended up backing about 500 ft down the road and hit the spot on the first try. Had to go the wrong way out the road to get out.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

I always try and do the Swoop technique I think they call it when ever possible.

This is the one you are thinking of, works well.

Yes that is it!

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, and I'll assure you this is quite accurate, 90% of backing up successfully, and safely, is positioning your rig in a good position before you even start to back up.

When you are coming up to the spot where you are to back in, take a good look at it. Get out and on your feet if you feel the need. Take a good look. Then drive your rig into a position where it will be the easiest it can be to back in. The less wiggle wiggle turn turn you have to do to back up is the best positioning.

Feel no shame, none at all, no embarrassment, just stop, get out and look, take your time.

If you are starting to back up and your rig is a all katty-wampus and discombobulated and it's going to be an ordeal with lots of cranking the steering wheel...STOP and reconsider. You may be a LOT better off to drive off and come back in and reposition your rig better.

K-9 HANDLER

Maryland's Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a place near you that is closed with large empty parking lot and painted lines then go and practice. Warehouse, weigh station , etc. Practice drivers side backing and off side backing. It is a confidence booster. Take so impromptu cones like milk jugs. As u improve use ur cones to make it more challenging.
Was never really taught a technique myself just learned by doing trial and error. Boats, stock trailers , flatbeds etc, Then there's hay wagons, ugh.

Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with all those saying take it slow. Get out and look at everything often. There isnt a time limit so dont stress over it.
And get a backup/rearview camera or 2.

Also, many CGs have someone who will park your rig for you if you ask.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don't mind and ignore those line of people snickering as you back up your new rig for the nth try.[emoticon]

At some point, someone will take pity and offer to do it for you.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.