Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

I always try and do the Swoop technique I think they call it when ever possible.

This is the one you are thinking of, works well.

I was thinking of the same video.

Charles

Need a new owner for my 2007 Winnebago View 523H on a '06 Sprinter 3500 chassis. 30k+ mi, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.
Replaced by a '08 Thor FS180 travel trailer and 2003 Ram 2500 CTD 6 spd

joedekock

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spot on! I follow this process as well with the exception of #2 I pull the rear of the trailer about 3 feet past the spot im backing into.

wnjj wrote:

My general trailer backing thoughts:

1. Back toward the driver's side if at all possible.
2. Pull forward further past the spot than you think.
3. Start with your trailer and tow vehicle closer to the side of the road that you're going to back toward. This leaves room for your tow vehicle to swing out when chasing the trailer after the turn has started.
4. Get the trailer starting to turn gently at first then adjust the vehicle to sharpen the cut at the right time (i.e. what the trailer guy called jack-knifing).
5. Pull forward 1-2 feet if corrections are needed to cut sharper or less sharp. Earlier minor corrections are easier than trying to catch up later.

For tight spots I find cutting too sharp then pulling forward occasionally to "shuffle" the front of the vehicle around the "corner" works best.

2019 Silverado 1500
2020 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE
Me, Wife, 5 kids, and a Doodle

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with "the scoop" is a lot of smaller sites only have a single wide road, with lovely boulders and trees lining the lane. There's not much room to "scoop" and if you take it to the extreme, you end up with the passenger side of the truck against the lane edge, leaving you no further room to maneuver.
I will grant, that with adequate room, it does position your trailer for a better approach.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

The problem with "the scoop" is a lot of smaller sites only have a single wide road, with lovely boulders and trees lining the lane. There's not much room to "scoop" and if you take it to the extreme, you end up with the passenger side of the truck against the lane edge, leaving you no further room to maneuver.
I will grant, that with adequate room, it does position your trailer for a better approach.

Timed right the scoop lets you start with the trailer axles close to the edge of road at the site. This will reduce the width of road you need to get your trailer in the site. On a narrow road, site on left. When you stop TV should be straight with and near the left side. The trailer axle should be tight to left side of road, and just past the drive. Crank hard to right, move back just a little to start increasing the angle between TT and TV, then move steering back to center. As you come back, still left of road center, the trailer will get deeper in site, and closer to perpendicular to road. At the right time you will need to cut steer to left to keep TV in front of trailer

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had limited success with the scoop.. I find that I do better to pull past the site a good bit, site on the left (although I have done it successfully on the right side) and carefully push it into the site by watching the trailer axle locations.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That video is ok but it is only half of the maneuver. Here is how to turn the "scoop" into the "S" maneuver.

EXample: Site is on the left (drivers side). Always try to start with the site on the left.

1. Approach site from right side of road and swing to the left so you are lined up at the beginning of the site on the left side of the road (this is the first part of the S)

2. Slowly drive across the road to the right side (this is the 2nd stage of the S)

3. Turn left and drive across the road to the left side and stop. This should leave you with the truck pointed towards the left side of the road, the trailer pointed toward the right side of the road and angled across the road with the rear of the trailer positioned to enter the site. (this is the 3rd and last stage of the S maneuver).

4. Now, you should be able to start backing up and follow your trailer right into your spot.

After a little practice, you will be able to judge very accurately exactly where to start the S maneuver and where to stop. If your trailer has a long overhang in the rear, be careful of the tail swing when you start the S maneuver if there is a tree or other object
nearby on either side.

If it makes a bit easier to visualize, think of this maneuver as a backwards "S".
I used this for years and could usually position the trailer in the first try.
Hope this helps! [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm very spoiled. I work for an RV dealer and set up the monthly shows at the fairgrounds. I'll park around 80 trailers of all sizes in a couple of days. When I'm done they're all perfectly aligned and look great, if I may brag. But I use a fork lift. Having a 40 foot triple-axle on the end of the forks is nothing.

But let me try to back up my own 40' triple-axle with my long bed truck into a campsite and it can be quite difficult. What I'm used to doing with my forklift I can't do as well with my truck and it can be embarrassing. So don't feel bad if you're having difficulties.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's just pretend something for a moment.

If you can "see" this in your mind, from ground level and from an above view, indulge me a moment here.

What if your tow vehicle had a hitch in front? Let's just pretend you have a bumper pull travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel.

If you had a hitch on the front of your vehicle and could hook up the trailer, can you visualize in your mind exactly what you'd have to do to easily and successfully place your trailer exactly where you wanted it? It's perfectly fine to stop and reposition a bit, that's just fine to do.

If you can "think and see" this through your "minds eye" it may help in the normal situation.

Best wishes to you, good luck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.