Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: slide vs no slide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> slide vs no slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will never buy another RV without a slide out, I prefer two or more for the extra room. I have had RVs with slide outs for yrs and very little problems

samsontdog">">

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prior to buying our class C we rented various class c’s for 10 years. The units were slide and no-slide and ranged in length from 24 - 32 feet. Models included Sunseeker, Safari, Tioga, Coachmen, others.

When we were looking to buy we were aiming for a 26 foot 1-slide model as the best trade-off between space and maneuverability. We ended up with a 28-foot dual-slide model. The unit has been great with few issues. With 2 slides we have the square footage of a 32 foot no-slide model.

The 2 slides each have slide awnings that protrude beyond the ends of each slideout by 6-8 inches. This keeps all rain and debris off the top of the slide-out. If there is tree debris on top of the awnings I will “pop” the awnings from the underside with a broom to knock the debris off before sliding in. The rear slide blocks 2 drawers of the wardrobe cabinet. Other than that the RV is fully useable with the slides in. Below the rear slideout there is full width pass-through storage. This storage is great for holding a folding 6’ stepladder.

Powergear slide rails are on the bottom of the slideouts. I have seen RVs with slide rails on the sides of the slideout. I don’t know how the slideout seals can seal effectively over those slide rails.

Slideouts add weight. Just like people add performance parts to cars to improve the handling we have added thicker anti-sway bars, Bilstein shocks, and all-steel cased commercial tires to our “C”. With these performance parts our rig does not lean much through the curves and handles much like a large SUV.

I have not noticed significant air-leaks. There are inner and outer seals on both slide-outs. We have taken the rig up to ski areas in the spring and had cold weather and some snow. Would move the slides in after a couple of inches of snow accumulated to dump the snow off the slide awnings. Could also just operate with the slides in if necessary. Then the rig effectively becomes a no-slide unit.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

31 years, 3 RVs (first 2 no slide, current 1 two slides); I will never go back to a no-slide RV. The "walk around" room that a slide provides is something I will never consider giving up, it really is that significant. I do agree that the RV must be usable with the slide in; ours blocks only the dresser drawers below the closet, nothing else; the RV is fully usable with the slides in or out.

Although I hear alot of people who "worry" about kitchen connections in slides, I have seldom if ever read reports of actual problems with them. Ours does indeed house the kitchen sink, stove, microwave and dinette (not the fridge), and we have not had a single issue with water lines, drain lines, gas lines, or electrical lines. Since it is now 16 years old, I assume that it would have had issues with those lines by now if it was prone to them. The slide mechanism itself (HWH Hydraulic, both slides and jacks) has also been trouble free, although it does have a way to manually retract them.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned many different types of RVs with and without slides. One or two good slides are very helpful in creating large living spaces and worth the extra weight and a little maintenance. This is especially true if you have pets, children or more than two people using an RV. Definitely worth it.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

31 years, 3 RVs (first 2 no slide, current 1 two slides); I will never go back to a no-slide RV. The "walk around" room that a slide provides is something I will never consider giving up, it really is that significant. I do agree that the RV must be usable with the slide in; ours blocks only the dresser drawers below the closet, nothing else; the RV is fully usable with the slides in or out.

Although I hear alot of people who "worry" about kitchen connections in slides, I have seldom if ever read reports of actual problems with them. Ours does indeed house the kitchen sink, stove, microwave and dinette (not the fridge), and we have not had a single issue with water lines, drain lines, gas lines, or electrical lines. Since it is now 16 years old, I assume that it would have had issues with those lines by now if it was prone to them. The slide mechanism itself (HWH Hydraulic, both slides and jacks) has also been trouble free, although it does have a way to manually retract them.

Also, whether to go with slides or not could depend upon if one wants the maximum flexibility to be able to reliably travel about anywhere in their RV time after time, regardless of short-term roominess when camped.

For instance, I'm glad we don't have to rely on a slide in our Class C deploying and retracting OK after, for whatever interest-driven reasons, traveling on roads like this:
[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

4X4van, Many of the owners like yourself do not have issues with flex connections in slides. [emoticon] However, there are some people that have and the info is out there in the owners forums documenting it.

a couple of mechanics and even a salesman steered me away, so I listened. But, like yourself, they work fine for many people.

My close friend used to say to me "if you ever buy one of those, don't bring it to me to fix" So I never bought one. [emoticon]
What I have learned while hanging out taking up space in my friends rv repair shop, when we do have issues regarding this , the fixes are normally easy due to inexpensive plastic collars and fittings, you just have to be physically able to crawl down there and do it and not be impaired by an injury. These things always let go when we are camping using it, never when its sitting in the driving, right ? [emoticon]

there are many posts and videos out there for info:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums........nd-plumbing-in-the-slideouts-152644.html

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22394147/print/true.cfm

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been RVing for over 45 years, and once we got one with a slide, I understood the appeal. We will NEVER get another rig without at least one! Even had a pop-up with a slide out kitchen area! Other suggestions are spot on about being certain you can access everywhere when slide is in! Some rigs close up and bathroom/bedroom/fridge are no longer in play. We have only twice had a problem with slide not working properly in over 20 years and several different RVs. The extra interior room is wonderful - and would be great for extended family or friends. Very easy to operate, just be certain rig is level before opening or closing.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> slide vs no slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.