Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apple's cooperation with Chinese officials

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Quote from LA Times:
"Since the iPhone was officially introduced in China seven years ago, Apple has overcome a national security backlash there and has censored apps that wouldnโ€™t pass muster with Chinese authorities. It has moved local user data onto servers operated by the state-owned China Telecom and submits to security audits by Chinese authorities.

The approach contrasts with Appleโ€™s defiant stance against the FBI, which is heaping pressure on the company to decrypt an iPhone that belonged to San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.

This confirms that money talks. It even trumps the privacy standards that Appple applies to the rest of the world.

I hope this is OK under this thread. I debated as to whether it should be "Around the Campfire." If I was wrong, please feel free to move.
31 REPLIES 31

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the information from the original poster, I would think the tech area is a good place to post this.
Most if not all RVer have and use a smart phone, all the information makes all or us more informed. Information is a good thing.
I would like to mention, that some of the posts dont appeal to me, so i dont open them, some of them seem like they would not interest me and i find they actually do interest me. What ever the post I would never assume to suggest that they be removed, we have moderators, I feel confident that they know what is acceptable with out me trying to tell them how to do their jobs.
To the original poster, Thank you

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:

I know I am wandering way off topic and would understand killing this thread. This is hitting close to home.

Just go back to Apple with three p's - and you're good to go to.....
"Sweet Home Alabalama" - and call you "The Wandderer" !!

:W

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
I can't find anywhere to enter my dogs name as a password in my flip phone.

Richard

One reason they dont make flip phones is its cheap,also the battery can be replaced when it dies.

All those new touch screen phones are great,but when battery dies you cant REplace it,you need to buy new very EXpensive phone

Waste o resources and keeping people spending money.

??? I've replaced several batteries in iPhones. About $10. Comes with the tools. Simple. YouTube is your friend
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
Huawei 5G lies
https://youtu.be/IfxfdHJ3k9Y

Hack killed Canadian Company ?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
No thanks.

No users, no pushers. No pushers, no users.

Chickens and eggs.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
The death penalty for drug trafficking, as mentioned in the linked article, may not be all that bad an idea.
You wanna go around on this you could start another thread.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would not say that all of China's laws are bad. The death penalty for drug trafficking, as mentioned in the linked article, may not be all that bad an idea. Lives ruined and deaths that would be attributed to a life of trafficking would, IMO, warrant a death penalty.

My family supports a rehab center, managed by my son , so we've seen our share of personal destruction.

I know I am wandering way off topic and would understand killing this thread. This is hitting close to home.

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
Huawei 5G lies
https://youtu.be/IfxfdHJ3k9Y

A quick googling and I found
This.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
If you recall the first time the FBI cracked an iPhone, Apple then wanted them to tell 'em how they did it. I'm glad I can love my iPhone and still have a low opinion of Apple.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
i also am puzzled why this remaining is in the tech section.

I for one, am glad that it hasn't moved to Around the Campfire. That is where threads go to die.

Anyone who stores information electronically and thinks it can't ever be recovered is kidding themselves. Outside of physical destruction of the media (depending on the method of destruction, some may still be recoverable), if it is in an electronic format, someone, given enough time and money, can recover it. The obvious question is whether the data is worth the time and money.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
...is remaining in....
You're welcome.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
mike, i love your retorts. keep em coming.

i also am puzzled why this remaining is in the tech section.

if you do business in China, you play by ChineAse rules. and thats true for any place. spend your money with those you are comfortable with and let others do the same. in America we are still (barely/mostly) allowed that privilege.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
China is a government controlled country, and has complete say of what their citizens can read, say, do. If Apple or any other company wants to do business in China they have to play by their rules, or take theIr toys and go home. Google and Facebook have to play by Chinaโ€™s rules also.

I support Apple in not creating a โ€œback doorโ€ into their products which can be exploited by not so nice people. There has been several instances where police / FBI have gained access to locked down iPhones using third party software and services. Millions of people keep their very private information on iPhones, iPads, iCloud storage. I want it near impossible for anyone other than me to get that data.
Apple already has a "back door", they just refuse to give it to law enforcement. Since the government literally can print money, they actually have no reason to steal yours. And I bet the government servers already are fully stocked with videos of cats playing the piano so they really don't need to steal the contents of your phone. The only practical use of the data contained in my phone or on my computer would be to require some terrorist prisoner at Guantanamo Bay to transcribe it into Arabic as a form of torture. I, like most people, lead a pretty boring life. At no time was I ever issued a license to kill and assigned a double naught spy number.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a phone that can't have the battery replaced. Now most do not have interchangeable batteries where you can just take the battery off and put a new one on, but the batteries can be replaced. You just have to open up the phone to do it. I'm sure some people just trade to a newer phone rather than jumping through the hoops, but many simply replace the battery. I've done several replacements for myself as well as for friends/family. Even in our small town, there are several stores that will replace the batteries. We had one of our kid's Iphone batteries replaced for $60 because I was traveling a good bit at that time and wasn't able to get to it.

I believe it is simply a supply/demand situation with flip phones. There is very low demand and thus low supply. Even my 82 YO mother wanted a smart phone over a flip phone the last time we replaced her phone.