cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Preliminary 7.5 earthquake

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
About 12 minutes ago there was a preliminary 7.5 temblor it originated in Oaxaca, I am so busy making a table that I did not hear the alarm or felt it at all, guess I am used to them, I hope no one is hurt and that no one lost the place to live.

It hit at 10:32 and lasted a little more than one minute.

navegator
5 REPLIES 5

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever one does, put socks and shoes on if the ground is wet. Park utilities are underground. The wires are *not* connected correctly. Electrocution can happen with bare feet and an insulated trailer skin that has a ground through the hookup.
Avoid rumors. Especially regarding Tsunamis. There have been a pair in recent history -- one that flooded lowlands in Zihuantanejo, the other in La Manzanilla Jalisco. Both were so slow residents carried furniture to higher ground. The offshore trench is so close it does not allow a surge to build up.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
And if driving at night (not recomended) you come upon a slow truck and there is an oportunity to pass they will turn thire driving lights off so that you can see if someone is coming and they will let you know by turning their turn signal on that you have a clear path.

Also the quake waves are ampified by the muddy water under the city and they bounce arround when being reflected by all the hard lava rocks from all the extint volcanos that surround the valley, my house is on one of these tongs and the teluric movements are hard to be felt, they need to bee above 6.0 for anything hanging to sway, so far it seems that the afected area was spared from a lot deaths and ruin.

Maybe I will feel the next one

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of Mรฉxico is built on landfill over an old lake. A jolting sets the land wiggling like a bowl of geletina. Hills like chapultepรฉc and pedregal (rocky) are indeed rock and barely feel a shaking during a major quake. From Salina Cruz to Acapulco fill ground can shake badly. If traveling right after a quake be very careful. I rounded a curve on Mex 200 south of Puerto Angel in 2003 and found 80% of the roadway gone -- slid away into an arroyo. I eased past then flashed 3 times with headlights at an approaching "pipa" a tanker truck. He jammed on his brakes. Chofers de traylors (truck drivers) use the 3 headlight flashing as a universal danger signal. Repeated2-flashes seem to be "I have the right of way" Believe it.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There are 6 dead and aproximatlly 36 damaged buildings, one needs to be torn down it was damaged in the 2017 and should have bee condemded, more than 650 aftershocks in magnitudes of 3.5 to 5.2, I guess having been on board boats from a joung age I am inmune to movement, now my sister in law and niesse feel them, that is all we needed, ground shaking in the middle of a pandemic.

The cocos tectonic plate is getting restless, all we need now is the Acapulco gap shifting.

Stay safe out there

navegator

Talleyho69
We felt nothing here in Zihuatanejo either.