cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONe-way roads in Yellowstone NP

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the little road near Gibbon Falls which is fairly old, paved with asphalt and is scenic. Might have been Virginia Cascade but can't remember. However we didn't have time for the road from Mammoth Hot Springs/Albright Visitor Center to the North Entrance, and also the Blacktail Plateau drive.

I hear there is a lot of wildlife on these roads. How is the condition of the road? Asphalt? Gravel?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
4 REPLIES 4

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
All right, Dave!
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last time we did Blacktail Drive the road had just opened that morning. Rutted in a few places from winter runoff, but still easily drivable. The wildlife was great -- herds of elk on the road, black and grizzly bear next to the road, lots of birds. At one point we got out and walked south to a low ridgeline that overlooked a large meadow expanse of the Park interior. Saw another of herd of browsing elk that must have numbered several hundred.
Blacktail is all unpaved, but our Suby did fine.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
thanx, Ed,
We will do the drive with our Rocky, not the sprinter.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the Blacktail Drive. It's mostly dirt and gravel. It was over an hour drive. We did in our pickup; it wasn't a challenge. I would be leary in a Sprinter but I haven't driven one and it was a few years ago. We did not see any great wildlife but you get way off the Loop road.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew