cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauler to get my trailer from Florida to Canada?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd get it myself but the border is shut and I really don't want to go to Florida at this time anyway.

When we left FL in the spring, we were going to leave our 5er but we left our cargo trailer on our site and brought home the 5er so we wouldn't have to stay in motels and eat in restaurants. Now the cargo trailer is sitting on our site attracting full rent.

Normally wouldn't matter but I don't think we'll be spending the winter in USA so I don't want to pay rent for a site I won't use.

As the subject says, are there services that will haul an individual's trailer 1500 miles and across the border. I know there are ones for RV manufacturers. Cost if they exist?
22 REPLIES 22

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Professional driver is only exempt if he is hauling cargo. So if your unit was on a flat deck it would be OK. Also if one of the Canadian RV hauling companies has a diver that was willing to go to Fl;orida it could be done.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
It's a brand new cargo trailer with our golf cart in it. Hopefully shipping will be a lot less than it's worth.

We regularly ship cars from FL to Michigan for $600/car, but we use "Central Dispatch" which is for car dealers
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The trailer WAS bought in the USA but it has already been imported by me into Canada last year. It has a Canadian ownership and Ontario plates.

I was thinking about trundling over to the border and asking CBSA if I could meet the driver / trailer right at the border and the driver could turn around immediately.

I don't know if it's possible - there is a 14-day mandatory quarantine. I would be willing to do it (again) but a driver wouldn't. A professional driver is exempt however.

Dunno dunno.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer was bought in the usa things will get complicated
It eould have to be imported into Canada. Only a commercial transporter can bring it into Canada. The border is closed for anyone that is not a commercial trucking company. You will ned a customs broker. Is the golf cart Canadian?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Florida to Canada. 7x16 cargo trailer. Insurance on me.

Joe, my crowd delivers autos from Ft Lauderdale to NY city but Canada might be a bit further than our drivers would want to go. Something they don't like about crossing into Mexico and Canada. (mainly Mexico I think) I would not even want to give you a price on crossing the border. You might think I have lost my mind

Would it be realistic for Joe to meet somebody at the border?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:

Joe, my crowd delivers autos from Ft Lauderdale to NY city but Canada might be a bit further than our drivers would want to go. Something they don't like about crossing into Mexico and Canada. (mainly Mexico I think) I would not even want to give you a price on crossing the border. You might think I have lost my mind
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, onsite storage is another option we're considering. The RV park has a storage lot - it's a motorcycle friendly park so there are many cargo trailers in the winter season.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
The question is do you ever plan on going back there? If not it makes sense to ship it back or sell as is. If you plan on going back you should be able to find cheaper storage. If you ship it back and decide to go back you will have to double tow (if able)have it shipped back or make two trips.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
There are always local guys who have a business hauling RVs. you can find them on Craigslist, or RV parks can suggest somebody. Make sure they are bonded, etc, of course.

In my experience it generally works out to about $1 a mile., when you factor in their gas two ways, meals, motels, etc.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe someone down there could move it to a storage lot for you. Be cheaper than a rv site.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe your campground has some back area that they could move the trailer to instead of paying for a serviced lot. Many campgrounds will store your camper in a storage yard for you, maybe they could do the same for you at a much reduced rate.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I used UShip when we purchased our TT from the manufacturer. I posted what I wanted to move and the bis came in. Worked great. (I used a guy who used biodiesel so his price was almost half of what the others were). He didn't have to knock when he arrived, I could smell the french fries when he pulled into the driveway ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
From where in Florida to where? Length and weight? We might do the haul. Insurance on you or us?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow