Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Fridge won't fit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fridge won't fit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took out the old fridge last night, only to find out that it won't fit out through the door of the camper [emoticon]

This is a 5 cu ft one-door Domnetic RM 2554. I finally had to remove the cooling unit and basically break the fridge into two pieces to get it thru the door. No big deal, it's ready for the curb anyway.
It wasn't like it was a close fit, it is like 5" wider than the door opening...

Anyone know how they build these TC's? I'm not taking apart the new fridge to get it through the door....can you install these from the outside?

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know, but I think going out through/in through the dinette window would be easier. At least, I think most windows can come out pretty easily.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read where Big Foot puts the refrigerator in before they install the entry door assembly.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

did you remove the doors first????

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think any of your windows are going to be big enough to get the fridge through the opening.

Unless removing the main entry door will give you enough width, I believe removing the dinette slide is going to be your best option,

Update:
Our campers are from the same generation of Lance campers with dinette slides. They probably use the same dinette window and main entry door. Without removing the fridge cooling unit and/or the doors, I think you’re going to need 24”-25” to get the fridge out. The rough openings for the dinette window and main entry door aren’t even that big, so they won’t work on my camper. I’d have to remove the slide to get the fridge out in one piece. Removing the doors on my fridge wouldn’t gain me anything, as there’s a flange on the front that sticks out just as far. I’m not sure if the flange comes off or not.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/24/20 07:14am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it's not like a residential fridge, the doors are recessed so removing them doesn't help. Removing the camper door only adds another 2", not helping when you're 5" short.

NRALIFR, I hadn't thought about the slide, but I think you're right...taking the slide completely out would also make repairing the slide frame a lot easier.

I remember replacing the slideout floor in our Terry TT, the slide was full height and 13' long, the only way to remove it was with a forklift. This slide is a lot smaller and 2 guys could probably lift it right out.

That would let me fully repair that wall, then install the fridge, then replace the slide!

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, How wide is the door opening??

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not uncommon. When I went to pickup my Northstar they had installed the wrong fridge. I ordered a DC compressor fridge and they had installed the 3-way. To replace it they had to remove the door frame.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy that is a bummer.

Here on this forum I have never read that the fridge had to be taken apart to go out the camper door opening.. hahahaa. I did say "door opening".

Everyone I have read about had to remove the whole door frame and the fridge door.

Well at least you got it out but now what.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard with Motor homes they pull the windshields to get them out

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fridge won't fit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.