Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fighting zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fighting zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obatanga Borealis wrote:

Wow. I expected urbane, constructive comments on this board but have received a lot of disparaging remarks. Unbelievable. I expected more of an RV brotherhood here.

It is because you bought the house knowing (or should have known) what the restrictions were and now complaining. It is difficult for any of us to help you after the fact. Now, if you would have asked us before you bought, we would have told you to find another town/City to move to that has more lenient ordinances about RV's.

Sorry you feel slighted; many on this forum are very polite and helpful. But when someone posts something obvious then many don't sugar coat the answers. Good luck; you only option now is to move or put your RV in a storage lot somewhere.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Obatanga Borealis wrote:

Wow. I expected urbane, constructive comments on this board but have received a lot of disparaging remarks. Unbelievable. Apparently, this is not a nice place at all.

People want to be totally controlled, it's not like the country our founding fathers envisioned.
The total lack of control leads to places like Seattles CHOP.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a home in an HOA w strict rules so the place never becomes an eyesore. It's a hassle but I deal with it.

The next town to the south has boats, and rvs parked everywhere and it's horrid.

In another area, my buddy bought a 1 acre lot w no restrictions and he built the garagemahal to live in. It works for him but doesn't do justice to the beautiful, classic low country brick homes that he has around him. Nothing like having a concrete driveway encircle the house (like a moat) so you call pull through w truck and 21' center console.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obatanga Borealis wrote:

Wow. I expected urbane, constructive comments on this board but have received a lot of disparaging remarks. Unbelievable. I expected more of an RV brotherhood here.

You are getting constructive comments. You just do not like them. The simple answer is, if you do not like it either do not move there or get involved and propose changes.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I post this as an RV owner that stores his RV in a lot away from our neighborhood. We do not want to look out our windows and see a bunch of RVs in various condition up and down our street. If I wanted to see that, we would live in an RV park!!

Residential neighborhoods are just that! Maintain your lawn, keep the house looking good, take pride in your area.

Store your RV somewhere else!!

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

What is the municipality? I would like to see the ordinance that says a vehicle registered, insured and inspected by state regulations, cannot be legally kept inn your driveway. Or is this an HOA situation?

Jim Thorpe Pa in 1980's had an ordinance prohibiting Pickup trucks from parking at a residence. My Daughter & late SiL had to move there for a year for his job and you being from Tx he drove a truck. Lots of bull puckey from a few neighbors.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDman wrote:

I post this as an RV owner that stores his RV in a lot away from our neighborhood. We do not want to look out our windows and see a bunch of RVs in various condition up and down our street. If I wanted to see that, we would live in an RV park!!

Residential neighborhoods are just that! Maintain your lawn, keep the house looking good, take pride in your area.

Store your RV somewhere else!!

I fully agree. I'm A Realtor, and there are WAY more people wanting some type of conformity to their neighborhood, and not a bunch of RV;s, boats, ATV's and so forth parked wherever folks want to park them. Most RV owners have no problem paying $50 a month to safely store their RV somewhere close to home. It's the responsible thing to do. Unless you use something on a daily basis, it really doesn't need to be in your driveway -- especially something as large as and as view-blocking as a Class A RV.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 02:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

I bought a home in an HOA w strict rules so the place never becomes an eyesore. It's a hassle but I deal with it.

The next town to the south has boats, and rvs parked everywhere and it's horrid.

In another area, my buddy bought a 1 acre lot w no restrictions and he built the garagemahal to live in. It works for him but doesn't do justice to the beautiful, classic low country brick homes that he has around him. Nothing like having a concrete driveway encircle the house (like a moat) so you call pull through w truck and 21' center console.

It's SO horrid, people using the property they own to store legal vehicles that they own, get me my smelling salts. I guess I'm in favor of some HOAs if it keeps busybodies like you from petitioning city councils to pass MORE regulations! Seriously, unless someone's causing a public health problem or presenting an attractive nuisance my attitude is do what you want with your property. As long as there aren't consequences on MY property it's no big deal (and in one case even though it has worsened the flooding in my yard I haven't complained because it keeps his driveway from washing out every few years).

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont mind the HOA rules. They keep the neighborhood looking nice and resale value up.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing is to read and understand the zoning rules and/or HOA rules of wherever you are thinking of buying. We bought our house where we did because I read the zoning rules for the area, and reviewed the survey maps and laws.

Second thing - those rules can be changed. Petition the zoning board, and if enough people agree with you the rules can be changed. Run for office and get elected to the zoning board if that will help.

Petition the HOA for a rule change. If the majority of people agree with you, the rule will be changed. Join (or run for) a position on the HOA board if that will help.

Meanwhile, you will have to store your camper somewhere.

I have friends and family who bought homes in HOA run developments precisely because of all the rules that keep the area clean and neat and home values high.

I joke that my house and property are what HOAs were created to prevent.... lol!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fighting zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.