cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fighting local zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners

Obatanga_Boreal
Explorer
Explorer
We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances that prevent or strictly impede RV owners from parking their rigs in their own paved driveways or on their own property! These rules are wholly unfair. It seems zoning officers, in their quest to restrict derelict vehicles from driveways, have lumped RV owners into the same group and it's a terrible injustice. How do RV groups fight this wholesale discrimination by petty local officials???
19 REPLIES 19

ronfisherman
Thread closed. See OP other thread.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, I appreciate covenants and restrictions. But sometimes they can go too far. The neighborhood we live in is a nice compromise, allowing RVs in driveways. Still, when we built our house in 1988, we incorporated one of the 3 garage bays taller and deeper for a motor home we did not own. Little did I know at the time, the provision was not big enough. It was very difficult to find a motor home that actually fit. Clicking on my signature and scrolling down includes a picture of our side-entry garage that is hidden by the street with a retaining wall.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Obatanga Borealis wrote:
We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances that prevent or strictly impede RV owners from parking their rigs in their own paved driveways or on their own property! These rules are wholly unfair. It seems zoning officers, in their quest to restrict derelict vehicles from driveways, have lumped RV owners into the same group and it's a terrible injustice. How do RV groups fight this wholesale discrimination by petty local officials???
I am OK with the rules and respect your efforts to change them.
Honestly if it is that important I would think a person would check on this before they move.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in an HOA that allows RV's in the side yard, the development was designed for just that- all the houses have RV gates. I can somewhat understand the thinking behind restricting RV parking. Aside from blocking views on streets (that can make exiting driveways a real treat) lots of RV's sit 50 weeks a year, with torn covers and other garbage piled around. On the other hand, lots are used regularly, are well maintained and look fine. As previously mentioned, its difficult to split hairs when writing ordinances- so everything gets banned.
End result, these ordinances aren't created in a vacuum, one must go to meetings and get active.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances...”

“And my research skills far outweigh yours, wapiti.“

Really?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My suburb has an ordinance that says no parking "within sight of the street". It is routinely violated and I have never heard of anyone ever being fined.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Obatanga Borealis wrote:
Just looking for a discussion on the matter. And my research skills far outweigh yours, wapiti.
I am not so sure. Your original post states you are faced with zoning issues AGAIN. What are the old saws that apply? Try, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." and " never get bit by the same dog twice". It's pretty obvious most people don't think you will beat city hall on this issue.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I moved to my HOA community, was told no RV's in driveway or on your property, period! Been here 9 years and last year, I actually read the covenants and informed the HOA board that I could, in fact, have an RV on my property. They again read only the first few lines stating "no RV may be left in front driveway or on street". I stated that is correct, however, keep reading. The next lines stated "an RV may be kept on the property provided it's in the rear yard and out of general view from the adjacent neighbors and in an enclosed carport/garage". Their reply was "oh, I've never read that part of the covenants". This is the head of the board who answers calls from homeowners about restrictions! I promptly constructed my RV garage in my rear yard and am currently the only one to do so in a development with 1500+ houses around a 4-mile lake. It pays to READ THE COVENANTS/RESTRICTIONS. Wish I had done that 9 years ago.

Obatanga_Boreal
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for a discussion on the matter. And my research skills far outweigh yours, wapiti.

Obatanga_Boreal
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, wapiti country, back off. Your rudeness is not appreciated.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
If it was a concern of mine, which it is, then I would investigate the rules of the HOA or Inc. village before I bought.
Research apparently doesn't run in his blood. He has the exact same thread running in another forum which is, of course, prohibited by the Forum Rules.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
If it was a concern of mine, which it is, then I would investigate the rules of the HOA or Inc. village before I bought.

Yup, you're absolutely right. The term "due diligence" just isn't in some peoples vocabularies.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is a difficult but not ridiculous issue. There are very nice RVs out there. And there are RVs still being used that you wonder how they still hold together. There are two options. No rules about keeping them at a residence. Or restrictions against all of them. You can’t write an ordinance that says this one is ok but that one is not. An ordinance stating it was ok if it cannot be seen from the street or by your neighbors would be acceptable. Otherwise prohibiting it altogether is the best option. Anything in between will only cause problems.