Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Snow Birds ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snow Birds ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're sticking pretty close to home and having very few visitors; close family only and then only occassionally. We order the groceries on-line (Hy-Vee) and the store employee puts them in our vehicle at a prescribed time. If we need to get out to pick up items for household repairs etc. (rarely) then we wear a mask. We just try to be judicious about when and where we go, but don't eliminate travel altogether. We'll follow the same routine when we get to Texas if conditions haven't improved. I know this thing is real, but I refuse to let it make me a prisoner in my own home. I figure if I have to restrict my activities I should at least be warmer while I'm doing it.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have reservations in Florida, December 1 - April 1. Five months to make a final decision. Five months ago was February 1. A LOT has changed in the past 5 months and I suspect the next 5 months will help us make a decision. We will remain flexible and leave later if necessary or we may have to spend a full winter in Michigan for the first time since 2012.

2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parrothead Mike wrote:

We have reservations in Florida, December 1 - April 1. Five months to make a final decision. Five months ago was February 1. A LOT has changed in the past 5 months and I suspect the next 5 months will help us make a decision. We will remain flexible and leave later if necessary or we may have to spend a full winter in Michigan for the first time since 2012.

Yes a lot has changed in 5 months but when you think about it a lot has changed in the last month!! We now have unbridled violence and destruction with no intervention by the governors. I fully expect the situation to worsen by November. I also suspect even something new will come up in the next few weeks besides racial violence and Corona.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Head to Gulf shores Alabama.... beautiful beaches, retired folks, cheap living in certain campgrounds.

empty_nest

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently retired in April and the wife will in August. We have waited many years to fulfill our dream of migrating south in winter. We will definitely be heading to Rockport, Texas in the fall.

2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

cliffy49

Blue Grass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have finally talked wife into spending at least a couple of months in Arizona this winter. About the time I finished making my route, choosing places to stay and when we were going to get there, the southern states I had chosen started to spike.

Since wife and I are both in the "at risk" portion of society we are going to possibly put the plans on hold. I may just continue to make all the needed reservations since most of them are able to be cancelled without penalty.

We were planning on Az. this winter since we have family and close friends in the area. Cant real see driving all that way just to sit in a campground for wo or three months. Guess we will just have to wait and see what Sept/Oct brings as far as finalizing our plans.

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliffy49 wrote:

I have finally talked wife into spending at least a couple of months in Arizona this winter. About the time I finished making my route, choosing places to stay and when we were going to get there, the southern states I had chosen started to spike.

Since wife and I are both in the "at risk" portion of society we are going to possibly put the plans on hold. I may just continue to make all the needed reservations since most of them are able to be cancelled without penalty.

We were planning on Az. this winter since we have family and close friends in the area. Cant real see driving all that way just to sit in a campground for wo or three months. Guess we will just have to wait and see what Sept/Oct brings as far as finalizing our plans.

You know that there is still a lot of sight seeing in the desert you can do and be away from people. If you stay home, won't you still be staying away from people, using a mask when you do go out, etc? Question then becomes, do you want to sequester in a warm place or a cold place.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, we are definitely heading to Arizona.
Our precautions work the same here as there - only there the odds of encountering the virus are a little higher.
We have the N95 masks left over from my workshop days, carry and use hand sanitizers, wash hands frequently and avoid crowds.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am parking my RV and I booked a flight to Mexico which I may or may not use. I am in Canada and I don't believe the land border will be open until 2021. I do have Mexican residency and medical down there, so the travel insurance is not an issue, but do I really want to be in a Mexican hospital with covid? Until there is a vaccine or significant herd immunity, I will probably stay home. They might let me transit the US if I show them my Mexican resident card, but I am not taking unnecessary risks. i would rather lose 1 year of retirement enjoyment than 20.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As we watch the Florida Covid numbers soar like the rockets we love to watch, we're having the "will we even go?" conversation. Fortunately, there are many months before we have to decide.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snow Birds ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.