cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear window exploded!

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know why it happened. Going down the freeway at 65 mph and the rear window shattered. I was towing a 12' enclosed trailer with V nose as I have many times before. I had the dash vents open for cool air. I can't see anyway a rock could have hit it. Anyway I need to think how to repair it. 2017 22' Gulfstream Conquest. This is also the emergency exit so I want that part to keep functioning. I don't want to replace it with glass and go through this again. I was thinking along the lines of sheet metal or fiberglass panel cut to fit in the window frame. This would retain the emergency exit as well as the window screen. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, DJ
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
6 REPLIES 6

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace with either Lexan (polycarbonate) or Plexiglas (acrylic). Lots of choices in color or tint. Pluses and minuses for both, but both are tougher than tempered glass. See: https://www.piedmontplastics.com/blog/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate-understanding-the-differenceshttps://www.piedmontplastics.com/blog/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate-understanding-the-differences
F1BNorm

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
Any glass shop can make a plexiglass panel to fit your frame.

Look for scratch-resistant plexiglass if you take this approach.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, a couple good reasons how it could have happened. Yes, the shade was down and yes, this was the first trip towing the trailer with new tires. After 2 flats with the original China Pops I replaced them with LT truck tires and they do have an aggressive tread. Next stop, the glass shop. Now if I could just quit getting stuck with the darn thing. It is NOT a 4X4 Truck Camper like I had all my life!! $30K for a 4X4 conversion or $200 for traction panels. Guess which one DW says I can have!!! Thanks guys, this forum rocks!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi DJ, other than this mishap , I hope all is well.
Any glass shop can make a plexiglass panel to fit your frame.

If you had the shade closed on that window, could that trap heat coming thru the tempered glass window causing it to build and shatter ? Maybe a possibility ??

Regards, Bob

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Dunno about your Gulfstream, but shattering rear windows in automobiles are a known phenomenon. If it burst into a bunch of tiny shards, it was tempered glass, which is very strong, but subject to temperature related stress shattering.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
An acquaintance had the same thing happen to him twice. In his case a rock was thrown forward from a front tire of the Jeep Wrangler he towed all the time.

Maybe your trailer tires are doing the same. Do your trailer tires have an aggressive tread pattern? Does one tire have a line-of-sight to the rear window? Does the style of your trailer fenders offer a means to eject a rock forward? Maybe the ejection forward hits the pavement, then ricochets up at the window.