Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dish TV Pay-As-You-Go RV Plan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dish TV Pay-As-You-Go RV Plan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who do *not* currently have an active Dish account of any kind (home or otherwise), how does this plan operate?

I'm getting conflicting information from Dish TV about how this program operates. Some tell me I can use it for 3 days and only pay for 3 days. Others are telling me I can only purchase service in 30 day increments ($58 a month; Flex pkg with HD and local channels). If we turn it off prior to 30 days there's no credit or roll-over of unused service time.

Your experience?

Thx!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The packages are 30 days.

I have been using the plan for several years now with good luck.. What is nice is that there are NO activation fee's . Pay the bill , turn on the system,. scan, watch, repeat if needed..

I pay my last bill in September and do not pay again till the following April with no penalties...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you purchase 30 day increments. But some have said you can call Dish and tell them to “disconnect” your service and you will retain credit for unused time. And can restart it to use that credit. Haven’t tried it.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To clarify you must be paid for 30 day in advance before restarting service. You pay for 30 days when you first use it, if you only use for 3 days then CANCEL your service, the next time you go to state it you will need to pay for the three days you previously used so you are paid up for 30 days. Do NOT suspend or pause your service, you will be charged a monthly fee about $5 or so. You must use the word CANCEL when you stop using.
You will likely get an email from dish stating Please Come back.
We have had the service for about six years and the service has been great.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wgriswold

Lake Tahoe

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the conflicting information comes from two different solutions. One is the 30 day plan and does not require another plan with Dish. The other is extending a home plan to a RV.

I have the 30 day plan and it is good for 30 days as Ford Truck Guy describes.

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wgriswold wrote:

I think the conflicting information comes from two different solutions. One is the 30 day plan and does not require another plan with Dish. The other is extending a home plan to a RV.

I have the 30 day plan and it is good for 30 days as Ford Truck Guy describes.

You guys are wasting money if you don’t use it every day of the 30 days you have it activated. Once started you Do NOT need to use all 30 days, you can CANCEL at any time within that 30 days and keep the remaining credit.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So with all this very good info what is the best box to use and where would I buy it? Can you hook it up to 2 TV's? My MH is satellite ready (satellite is on the roof). I have 2 coax cables in the compartment with the satellite switch panel.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends upon the antenna and the box you have.

Basically - Dish uses three satellites in the west, two in the east. If the antenna has one LNB, with is the case with almost all dome type dishes - it can only 'see' one satellite at a time. Two different TVs can watch different channels from Dish, IF they are on the same satellite. If they are on different satellites, no can do.

If you have a three LNB antenna - it can 'see' all three western satellites at the same time, and different channels on different satellites can be viewed at the same time.

Box - you pay per box for your service. If you have two TVs, and the cheaper boxes, you need one box for each TV. Or you can buy a more expensive box with two tuners so that it can display two different channels on different TVs at the same time. The Sling/ Hopper boxes seem to be the best, but we have an older single channel box. (Note - you need a two tuner box to be able to record one channel on DVR and watch a different channel at the same time. Wife wants me to buy one.)

One other point about Dish. In Nov 2018, HBO and it's associated channels were removed from Dish. This was about 10 months after HBO was acquired by AT&T. Another company which AT&T owns is Direct TV. Make up your own mind as to why the two companies - Dish and HBO/AT&T/DirectTV were unable to conclude a new agreement in 2018.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We checked into this several years ago. Don't know if it changed. But, in order to have this plan you need a home account. Without a base they won't do it.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Thanks for everybody's replies! Looks like things don't bode well for those that only want to use Dish TV in their RV for a few days, or a week or two, at a time (ref standalone, pay-as-you-go accounts, not based on a home account).

rhagfo did mention the option of "cancelling" vs. pausing service (when you use less than 30 days of service) and carrying over the remaining credit when the account is activated again. It Dish does do this, their CS reps certainly don't know anything about how to do it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dish TV Pay-As-You-Go RV Plan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.