cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 F250XL 6.2 V8

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
In shopping at trucks and FW's simultaneously I was deadest on a diesel F250 or 350 (depending on the deal and need). Then I come across a new F250 Xl with the 6.2 V8 and 3.73 ratio. I know very little about the mechanics of trucks and rely on weights etc. I do know that the 3.73 is less favorable than a 4.1 ratio for towing - but how much?

The appeal to this truck - link below - is that the price of this new gas is the same price as a 3-5 year old diesel with close to 100k miles. Granted I am sure there is justification for that, but the long walk around the barn to my question is, is this a decent truck to buy for towing an entry level FW (understanding it depend on the FW)? The ad doesn't get into pin weights etc. Or should I just keep shopping for a used 250/350 diesel?

link
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
52 REPLIES 52

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for the responses. I am going back to my other thread to distill some thoughts on a few more f350's I found and plan to look at this weekend.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
ordually wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
Remember everything is relative - the HDT guys with ISXs and DD15s lugging up grades @ 1250rpm would say the little 1 ton diesels "screaming their heads off" at 2600 rpm is not relaxed enough...

Yep! And the drivers of the big ships would think anything over 102 RPM is screaming. It's all relative.

The OP now looking at a 100kmi+ Ford 6.7, I suggest looking for an extended warranty with the sale (Ford certified or other) on those engines, and price in what an injector replacement runs.

Can you add more detail? Are they prone to needing replacement at a certain mileage? What's the relative cost? Do I need an extended warranty? Been doing a lot of research and can't seem to find a lot of common issues. I have had my F150 5.4 for 14 years and 250k miles. It's had it's share of issues, especially with the plugs and coil packs, but I can sort that out on my own. I don't know much about diesels. Is the 6.7l problematic? I've asked a few fiends who were former ford dealers and they didn't mention anything about it. I don't want to infer but your advice is sort of vague. And I am not looking at 100k + trucks, I am looking under 100k. A few I am looking at this weekend are about 60-70k miles. Not a lot on a 2015 and 2016. From what I can tell, most of the turbo issues were fixed with an upgraded turbo from 2015 on. All things considered they seem to be very reliable engine for hundreds of thousands of miles.

The 2015 and up PSD's do not seem to have nearly as many issues as the 2011-2014's had. We still have a few fuel pump failure here and there on the 2015+ at our nine Ford dealerships nationwide and in our mostly Ford fleet, but it is not nearly as bad as the 2011-2014. The new turbo on the 2015's seem to last longer than the 2011-2014's as well, although they do not spool as quickly off the line but have more top end power. A 2015+ PSD at 100k is a solid buy and you should be able to put another 200k with good fuel and regular maintenance without issue.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Don't let the naysayers scare you. The 6.7 PSD has been as problem free as it gets.
No it not perfect, but I don't think there is anything catastrophic to fear.
THere were issues with water in the fuel causing the fuel system to detonate. Ford did a poor job of warrantying those trucks, but I have not read of any fuel issues recently. There were also some early radiator issues that Ford did repair under warranty.
For the most part the 2015 and newer 6.7 PSD trucks have a good reputation.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ordually wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
Remember everything is relative - the HDT guys with ISXs and DD15s lugging up grades @ 1250rpm would say the little 1 ton diesels "screaming their heads off" at 2600 rpm is not relaxed enough...

Yep! And the drivers of the big ships would think anything over 102 RPM is screaming. It's all relative.

The OP now looking at a 100kmi+ Ford 6.7, I suggest looking for an extended warranty with the sale (Ford certified or other) on those engines, and price in what an injector replacement runs.

Can you add more detail? Are they prone to needing replacement at a certain mileage? What's the relative cost? Do I need an extended warranty? Been doing a lot of research and can't seem to find a lot of common issues. I have had my F150 5.4 for 14 years and 250k miles. It's had it's share of issues, especially with the plugs and coil packs, but I can sort that out on my own. I don't know much about diesels. Is the 6.7l problematic? I've asked a few fiends who were former ford dealers and they didn't mention anything about it. I don't want to infer but your advice is sort of vague. And I am not looking at 100k + trucks, I am looking under 100k. A few I am looking at this weekend are about 60-70k miles. Not a lot on a 2015 and 2016. From what I can tell, most of the turbo issues were fixed with an upgraded turbo from 2015 on. All things considered they seem to be very reliable engine for hundreds of thousands of miles.

ordually
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:

2005 F350 SRW V10 4.10 CC LB 4x4; BW Turnover ball; LineX
2011 Sequoia 5.7L 4.30; Tundra Towing Mirrors; LT 275/65R18 C Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on 2nd set of wheels
2005 Nash 22H TT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Op here - so this particular truck is sold so it's kind of a moot point. Plus the mileage unloaded is awful. I am focusing my searches on a 2015 or newer F350 6.7 with under 100k Miles. They seem to hover in the $36-40k range. From what I am seeing, the F250 those years and miles are almost the exact same price, so it makes sense to just go with the F350. These trucks in good shape seem pretty hard to find though in a 300 mile radius.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
steve-n-vicki wrote:
I have a 2020 F350 ,crew cab ,long wheelbase, 4 x 4 with 373โ€™s, 7.3 engine, 10 speed
I have about 6100 miles on the truck , I have a towed a flatbed trailer with a 1800 pound zero turn mower on it or a John Deere 1025R tractor with loader and backhoe,I was getting 12.8 MPG,I recently towed a 2003 F250 with a 73 diesel, 4 x 4 crew cab and got the same 12.8, All of it has been flatland Towing,I like the 7.3 and 10 speed
For what Iโ€™m using it for, I am told the 6.2 performances similar but at a greater gas burn penalty

From the little driving I have done in the new 7.3L, I would say that it has more low end than the 6.2L. It is not a huge amount, but it was noticeable when unloaded and probably even more noticeable when loaded. It is common for a pushrod engine to have more low end torque than a overhead cam due to how they are designed.

Do you have any seat time pulling with the 7.3 in hilly areas at highway speed. I would think that the 7.3 and the 10 speed would outshine the 6.2 in those conditions since the torque is at a much lower rpm.

No, I only drove both unloaded which is why I said it probably even more noticeable when loaded. The final gear ratios of the 10 speed and 6 speed are very close(.63 on the 10 speed and .69 on the 6 speed) and at highway speed the 7.3L felt like it had more low end to slightly accelerate without needing to downshift. It is not diesel like in any way where you can accelerate rather rapidly with a toe-in of the pedal at highway speeds, but it was noticeable. The 6.2L felt like it needed to downshift for any kind of acceleration in 6th gear even though it has the gear advantage over the 10 speed.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
steve-n-vicki wrote:
I have a 2020 F350 ,crew cab ,long wheelbase, 4 x 4 with 373โ€™s, 7.3 engine, 10 speed
I have about 6100 miles on the truck , I have a towed a flatbed trailer with a 1800 pound zero turn mower on it or a John Deere 1025R tractor with loader and backhoe,I was getting 12.8 MPG,I recently towed a 2003 F250 with a 73 diesel, 4 x 4 crew cab and got the same 12.8, All of it has been flatland Towing,I like the 7.3 and 10 speed
For what Iโ€™m using it for, I am told the 6.2 performances similar but at a greater gas burn penalty

From the little driving I have done in the new 7.3L, I would say that it has more low end than the 6.2L. It is not a huge amount, but it was noticeable when unloaded and probably even more noticeable when loaded. It is common for a pushrod engine to have more low end torque than a overhead cam due to how they are designed.

Do you have any seat time pulling with the 7.3 in hilly areas at highway speed. I would think that the 7.3 and the 10 speed would outshine the 6.2 in those conditions since the torque is at a much lower rpm.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LanceRKeys wrote:
Iโ€™m not saying that the torque multiplication makes it better towing, just interesting read thatโ€™s all. I do wonder if you were completely isolated from the engine, no tach, no sound; what the opinion of gas engines would be. My car will downshift on hills and turn 4,000 and most of the time I donโ€™t notice it, when I pulled my travel trailer with a Chevy 5.3, I would notice the 4000 rpms, didnโ€™t mind it so much, the shifting of the automatic is what I didnโ€™t like. I much prefer to tow with a standard.

If I was also isolated from the fuel bill and the speed at which I could pull grades, youโ€™re correct, I wouldnโ€™t notice the difference!
Also duty cycle is to be considered.

I pull a fair amount of โ€œheavyโ€ trailers with my company 1/2 ton. Trans shelled out at 60k miles. Brakes at about 70k, they were shot. Rear springs are fine but theyโ€™ve taken a set and sit lower/softer than the same truck that doesnโ€™t work hard.
Engine? Good so far at 85k but I wonder if itโ€™s still a 250k motor or if Iโ€™ve used up more if itโ€™s life proportionally speaking?
Do I care? Nope. Itโ€™s the tool I was provided. In my personal life, I prefer a 1/2โ€ drive impact wrench to a ratchet and breaker bar too. Ratchet will do the same job. But slower and with more effort required.
I have 5 acres to mow. Have 60โ€ zero turn and a 36โ€ walk behind mowers. A $400 22โ€ mower would do the same job, just slower and more effort.
Same thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I agree that there are good tools for every job, sufficient tools, great tools and inadequate tools. And they are directly related to the job that is being done.
You understand that and chose accordingly. But not everyone recognizes that.
As evidenced by this thread and many others similar to it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody knows that diesels have more torque than gas engines do.
Not everyone wants to lay out the initial investment for a diesel nor do they want to own one.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not saying that the torque multiplication makes it better towing, just interesting read thatโ€™s all. I do wonder if you were completely isolated from the engine, no tach, no sound; what the opinion of gas engines would be. My car will downshift on hills and turn 4,000 and most of the time I donโ€™t notice it, when I pulled my travel trailer with a Chevy 5.3, I would notice the 4000 rpms, didnโ€™t mind it so much, the shifting of the automatic is what I didnโ€™t like. I much prefer to tow with a standard.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^I bet....
You guys crack me up!
Why have a diesel when you could have the torque multiplication of a screamin 5.4 Triton?? Lol
I got news for anyone that believes this. Iโ€™ve had a couple F250s with 5.4s. One in AZ in a reg cab 2wheeler would at least get out of its own way( without a trailer ). One in a 4x ext cab in CO wouldnโ€™t pull itself up a hill without screaming, with a trailer it was just as loud and twice as slow!

Iโ€™ve owned six diesels. Nothing stopping me from owning another if what you said had an ounce of truth to it. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'