Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In shopping at trucks and FW's simultaneously I was deadest on a diesel F250 or 350 (depending on the deal and need). Then I come across a new F250 Xl with the 6.2 V8 and 3.73 ratio. I know very little about the mechanics of trucks and rely on weights etc. I do know that the 3.73 is less favorable than a 4.1 ratio for towing - but how much?

The appeal to this truck - link below - is that the price of this new gas is the same price as a 3-5 year old diesel with close to 100k miles. Granted I am sure there is justification for that, but the long walk around the barn to my question is, is this a decent truck to buy for towing an entry level FW (understanding it depend on the FW)? The ad doesn't get into pin weights etc. Or should I just keep shopping for a used 250/350 diesel?

link

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 6.2 is a good dependable engine. I have one and pull a 5th wheel with about a 10,000 gvwr but I haven't ever weighed it to see how much it weighs loaded. I have had it in some fairly steep hills in the eastern US but not over the Rockies. I'm sure it would do the job through the Rockies but I'm sure the altitude would pull it down. It will drop down to 3rd gear through the steepest parts and it runs some fairly high rpms but nothing that will hurt it.

The only negative I have with it is the fuel mileage unloaded. If you're going to drive it very much unloaded be prepared to spend a lot on fuel. It does not get great mileage loaded but I figure that's to be expected with just about anything.

It would really depend on how much you want to tow as to how good it will do. If it were me and I were buying new I'd probably buy a 7.3 F-350 if I wasn't pulling a huge trailer. That's just me and everybody has a somewhat different opinion.

Can you get a 10 speed behind a 6.2. If you could that would help.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to tow a 5th wheel skip the F250 and just get an F350 with 4.1 and a 6.2 or 7.3 if you are afraid of diesel. You will top out at about 16k tow capacity. An F350 diesel will tow out at about 30k towing, meaning that towing 16k will be easy.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a great deal on that F250.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" I know very little about the mechanics of trucks and rely on weights etc. I do know that the 3.73 is less favorable than a 4.1 ratio for towing - but how much?"

Just about exactly like the towing numbers show. Chassis - wise, F250s and F350s are very similar, almost the same and save for rear springs, have relatively the same capability across the board.

Drivetrains are a different story. The 2 - 6.2 3.73, 6 speed F250s I had got 7-8 mpg towing about anything over about 5000lbs and they were all low profile loads (flatbeds with materials or equipment on them). Empty driving mileage around 13mpg. Bulletproof setups but lacking in power. 2nd and 3rd gear pulls up mountain grades with anything substantial hooked to the back.
Most I pulled was 12-14klbs, flatbed with street plates and it would run at normal speeds no probelm, but there was zero wind resistance. Just towing a 5000lb cargo trailer was a similar feat as the heavy trailer sat highway speeds.
If you are only towing the 5ver occasionally, then it is ok, IMO. If you're going tp be using it regularly for towing, it'll drink gas like Charlie Sheen and be sucking wind on every grade.
There's a reason the price is attractive. It's because the performance is not. It literally has less than half the torque of the diesel.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you're new to this, do you have any friends or family with large trailers and similar trucks? It would be good to get a feel for how a base model gasser pulls compared to a modern newer diesel.
Not something you can discern just with test drives, because the 6.2 will feel very powerful and fast with nothing hooked to it.

Or to put it this way, if I was hauling even a small 5ver alot and someone offered to trade me my 13 year old 175k mile diesel pickup that is running about 500hp/1000ft lbs for a 3 year old equivalent 6.2 gasser truck with low miles, it would be a hard pass!

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hold out for the diesel. It will hold its value better and you will enjoy the towing experience more. And I agree with rhangfo, go straight to 1-ton.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way2roll you were on the right bath looking for a diesel truck to tow with. Then somewhere along the way you went bargain hunting.
A gasser will always be cheaper than a diesel. You are not looking for a bargain truck or best value. You are looking for a truck to tow a larger 5th wheel.
The diesel will always be more expensive to purchase than a gasser.
A diesel will always provide a better towing experience than a gasser.
Your paying extra for a better towing experience.
Those of us that own a diesel were not tricked into buying a diesel. We paid for the extra for the torque, power and performance of a diesel.
When it comes to towing the only category the gasser wins is initial price.ALL other factors favor the diesel.
Reset and set your sights on a diesel 1 ton truck.
Get it right the 1st time, it always cost more to get it right the 2nd time.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Marcela

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't be afraid of the gasser. It has it's benefits also. Compare horsepower to horsepower, that is what you use.

The 3.73 to 4.10 is going to be noticed at highway speed. The newer transmissions have so many gears and are engineered so well though that the difference is not going to be great, 1:1 tranny ratio about 400 rpm's, but if you're pulling the gasser will be higher rpm so as to be in the higher hp part of the power band. Diesel's make their horsepower lower in the rpm range.

I'd hope the diesel is worth more at resale, they cost around $10k additional.

I pulled a gooseneck trailer loaded with almost 14k # and a GMC 1 ton SRW and the 6.0 gasser and moved down the road at 70 mph easy, though it wasn't in 6th gear, but 5th.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have researched the 6.2 a lot, the 4.30 gears seem to be the way to go for hauling trailers. If I were buying new today, that is probably what I would get.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.