Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my truck used back in 2013 I had two choices.
1. A low mileage 2 year old gas pick, or 2, a 5 year old diesel with 150,000 miles on it.

Glad I picked the newer gas PU or I'd be driving a 14 year old truck with 350,000 miles on it.

Mine has the 6.0L with 3.73 gears and I have zero complaints.

My camper only weighs 4000 lbs. With my ATV and trailer total is closer to 12k for everything.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve owned six diesels. My concern with the newer diesels is the potential for very expensive repairs after warranty. I’ve towed a 31’ 8500~ lb 5th wheel and now a 32.5’ 8500 lb TT with a 2010 5.4L/3.73 F250. At 106k miles, all is well. Still runs and looks like a new truck. I’m looking at a 2020 F250 XL 4x4 6.2L gasser as well. Wife wants my F250 and I’ll use the new one to tow the TT and boat. 19,000 rpm in a Formula One race car is screaming. 4200rpm up a grade isn’t a problem for me.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 106k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/20 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are people scared to let their machines run as intended? The engineers did not give you eight speeds intending the tranny to stay in OD constantly.
Small block V-8 are designed to make power above 3500 rpm,why are you scared to let the engine work as designed? I love the sound of my 5.7running up hill in 3rd gear at 3700 rpm. Pulls like a freight train!

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Why are people scared to let their machines run as intended? The engineers did not give you eight speeds intending the tranny to stay in OD constantly.
Small block V-8 are designed to make power above 3500 rpm,why are you scared to let the engine work as designed? I love the sound of my 5.7running up hill in 3rd gear at 3700 rpm. Pulls like a freight train!

I agree 100%! Especially the sound of the 5.7L Hemi.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spectra makes a good point albeit not really pertinent to the OPs situation as he’s not towing or hauling heavy.

To the last couple posts, I don’t think anyone said they’re afraid to hear a gasser let er eat up a hill, but there’s no disputing a diesel will tow the same roughly 50% easier and with about 50% better mileage. Apples to apples 6.2 to 6.7 newer Pstroke.
Diesel haterz, chew on that a bit.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

pitch wrote:

I would agree as well but I am concerned that the extra work is harder on a gas engine than a diesel and it also equates to worse mileage. The mileage on this particular truck I was looking at is awful even without towing.

2020 F350 STX
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys can have all the screamin' gassers you want. Not me. Having towed for a living for eleven years with the old 454/460 one ton GM and Fords I can't stand the racket anymore on a all day run.

OP..... don't rule out a F250 diesel with the heavy service or camper package. This option give the F250 the same suspension as the F350 srw diesel. Of course the rest of the truck is the same.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

pitch wrote:

I would agree as well but I am concerned that the extra work is harder on a gas engine than a diesel and it also equates to worse mileage. The mileage on this particular truck I was looking at is awful even without towing.

It is and it will, however, you'll get plenty of miles out of the 6.2 provided it's not hooked to 14klbs daily and horsewhipped up the Ike. IMO, longevity is not the largest downside to the gasser at all. It's power and fuel mileage.
Buy what you want. People were towing the same with MUCH less not more than a couple decades ago, and some still do.
But that's not the point. Do you still carry a flip phone, or do you enjoy the features of your IPhone 10? Similar comparison. Spend more, get more. Other than the diesel may not actually cost you more in the long run.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not against higher RPM's or even the noise from a gasser. I'm more pro diesel because I want a relaxing tow with less input from me, the driver.
A gasser requires more input, that means pressing a little harder on the accelerator, letting the truck find the right gear, maintaining the right gear, down shifting as required, holding the gear as required. More effort to descend a steep grade.
A gasser requires more input. Now some may consider that extra input part of the fun and I get that. Sort of like why some enjoy driving a manual transmission.
Personally relaxing and enjoying the ride with little driver input is my idea of idea of a smooth trip.
The diesel takes all the work (driver input) out of the equation. Some may consider me a lazy driver because I want the truck to drive itself with out input from me, to some degree you are correct. That's why I paid more for a diesel performance.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I'm not against higher RPM's or even the noise from a gasser. I'm more pro diesel because I want a relaxing tow with less input from me, the driver.
A gasser requires more input, that means pressing a little harder on the accelerator, letting the truck find the right gear, maintaining the right gear, down shifting as required, holding the gear as required. More effort to descend a steep grade.
A gasser requires more input. Now some may consider that extra input part of the fun and I get that. Sort of like why some enjoy driving a manual transmission.
Personally relaxing and enjoying the ride with little driver input is my idea of idea of a smooth trip.
The diesel takes all the work (driver input) out of the equation. Some may consider me a lazy driver because I want the truck to drive itself with out input from me, to some degree you are correct. That's why I paid more for a diesel performance.

I would think the new 10 speed would require less driver input since the PCM/ECM has more gears to choose from for the right situation.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.