Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad that we all have a choice.
What I have works best for me and that's all I care about.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the weights that these RV’s run I doubt you would find the 3:73 in the way at all.

How fast do you need to accelerate? How fast do you tow? Me, there is only so much speed at 55 MPH while towing.

[emoticon]

Thanks!

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

When I bought my truck used back in 2013 I had two choices.
1. A low mileage 2 year old gas pick, or 2, a 5 year old diesel with 150,000 miles on it.

Glad I picked the newer gas PU or I'd be driving a 14 year old truck with 350,000 miles on it.

Mine has the 6.0L with 3.73 gears and I have zero complaints.

My camper only weighs 4000 lbs. With my ATV and trailer total is closer to 12k for everything.

Lantley wrote:

I'm not against higher RPM's or even the noise from a gasser. I'm more pro diesel because I want a relaxing tow with less input from me, the driver.
A gasser requires more input, that means pressing a little harder on the accelerator, letting the truck find the right gear, maintaining the right gear, down shifting as required, holding the gear as required. More effort to descend a steep grade.
A gasser requires more input. Now some may consider that extra input part of the fun and I get that. Sort of like why some enjoy driving a manual transmission.
Personally relaxing and enjoying the ride with little driver input is my idea of idea of a smooth trip.
The diesel takes all the work (driver input) out of the equation. Some may consider me a lazy driver because I want the truck to drive itself with out input from me, to some degree you are correct. That's why I paid more for a diesel performance.

Specta, not bad logic gas gives you more payload for your drop-in camper, but as you state 12,000# total, well out 5er weighs more than that, so an apples to oranges.

Lantley, couldn't agree with you more! Seems our 5er at last weigh is pushing 13,600#, towing with the CTD is so relaxing and quiet. You are not lazy, you just want to arrive relaxed.
Heck I thought I arrived relaxed with the 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with 5 speed manual. I never minded shifting even in stop and go traffic. That said driving the 2016 Ram 3500 DRW CTD, Aisin is way more relaxing.

If towing over 12,000# diesel is the best choice, even with the advent of the Ford 7.3 gas, I got tired of feeding our old 460's.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I'm not against higher RPM's or even the noise from a gasser. I'm more pro diesel because I want a relaxing tow with less input from me, the driver.
A gasser requires more input, that means pressing a little harder on the accelerator, letting the truck find the right gear, maintaining the right gear, down shifting as required, holding the gear as required. More effort to descend a steep grade.
A gasser requires more input. Now some may consider that extra input part of the fun and I get that. Sort of like why some enjoy driving a manual transmission.
Personally relaxing and enjoying the ride with little driver input is my idea of idea of a smooth trip.
The diesel takes all the work (driver input) out of the equation. Some may consider me a lazy driver because I want the truck to drive itself with out input from me, to some degree you are correct. That's why I paid more for a diesel performance.

I would think the new 10 speed would require less driver input since the PCM/ECM has more gears to choose from for the right situation.

Fish I imagine you are right and the 10 speeds take relaxed driving to another level. However that 10 speed still needs to be connected to a diesel engine to meet my needs. If the 10 speed you are referring to is connected to a gasser. I'll stick with my 6 speed Duramax combo.
I'm hearing good things about the 10 speed trannies.
But personally I decided to stick with the proven 6 speed vs. being a beta tester for the new 10 speeds.
While it may not be the latest greatest I am ecstatic with the performance of my 2019 Duramax 6 speed combo.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Specta, not bad logic gas gives you more payload for your drop-in camper, but as you state 12,000# total, well out 5er weighs more than that, so an apples to oranges.

I simply stated why I bought the truck I did.

I wasn't comparing it to anything.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

pitch wrote:

Why are people scared to let their machines run as intended? The engineers did not give you eight speeds intending the tranny to stay in OD constantly.
Small block V-8 are designed to make power above 3500 rpm,why are you scared to let the engine work as designed? I love the sound of my 5.7running up hill in 3rd gear at 3700 rpm. Pulls like a freight train!

I agree 100%! Especially the sound of the 5.7L Hemi.

I would agree as well but I am concerned that the extra work is harder on a gas engine than a diesel and it also equates to worse mileage. The mileage on this particular truck I was looking at is awful even without towing.

Through gear reduction, torque multiplication, an engine turning twice the rpm with the same road speed and load, needs to produce half the torque at the flywheel as the lower rpm engine. Higher rpm isn’t working harder. It’s working easier by letting gear reduction do more work. My ‘05 345hp/365ftlb 5.7L Hemi easily outran my ‘03 250hp/460ftlbs Cummins in duplicate trucks towing the same 10,040 lb 5th wheel around the southeast at 30%~ higher rpm and about 30% higher fuel consumption. At 125k miles, I simply wanted another Ford. The Hemi used no oil and ran like a new truck. At 106k miles, the little 5.4L has been bullet proof, uses no oil and still runs like new. Towing in O/D is all a matter of perception. Not worth $10,500 option to sound like it’s not working as hard.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 106k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember reading an article that compared the V-10 to a diesel and showed how through gear reduction and higher RPM that it would actually put more torque to the ground than a diesel. Interesting reading...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^I bet....
You guys crack me up!
Why have a diesel when you could have the torque multiplication of a screamin 5.4 Triton?? Lol
I got news for anyone that believes this. I’ve had a couple F250s with 5.4s. One in AZ in a reg cab 2wheeler would at least get out of its own way( without a trailer ). One in a 4x ext cab in CO wouldn’t pull itself up a hill without screaming, with a trailer it was just as loud and twice as slow!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember everything is relative - the HDT guys with ISXs and DD15s lugging up grades @ 1250rpm would say the little 1 ton diesels "screaming their heads off" at 2600 rpm is not relaxed enough...

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^I bet....
You guys crack me up!
Why have a diesel when you could have the torque multiplication of a screamin 5.4 Triton?? Lol
I got news for anyone that believes this. I’ve had a couple F250s with 5.4s. One in AZ in a reg cab 2wheeler would at least get out of its own way( without a trailer ). One in a 4x ext cab in CO wouldn’t pull itself up a hill without screaming, with a trailer it was just as loud and twice as slow!

I’ve owned six diesels. Nothing stopping me from owning another if what you said had an ounce of truth to it. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.