Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 06/04/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/03/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not saying that the torque multiplication makes it better towing, just interesting read that’s all. I do wonder if you were completely isolated from the engine, no tach, no sound; what the opinion of gas engines would be. My car will downshift on hills and turn 4,000 and most of the time I don’t notice it, when I pulled my travel trailer with a Chevy 5.3, I would notice the 4000 rpms, didn’t mind it so much, the shifting of the automatic is what I didn’t like. I much prefer to tow with a standard.

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 07/04/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody knows that diesels have more torque than gas engines do.
Not everyone wants to lay out the initial investment for a diesel nor do they want to own one.


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/04/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ I agree that there are good tools for every job, sufficient tools, great tools and inadequate tools. And they are directly related to the job that is being done.
You understand that and chose accordingly. But not everyone recognizes that.
As evidenced by this thread and many others similar to it.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/04/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

I’m not saying that the torque multiplication makes it better towing, just interesting read that’s all. I do wonder if you were completely isolated from the engine, no tach, no sound; what the opinion of gas engines would be. My car will downshift on hills and turn 4,000 and most of the time I don’t notice it, when I pulled my travel trailer with a Chevy 5.3, I would notice the 4000 rpms, didn’t mind it so much, the shifting of the automatic is what I didn’t like. I much prefer to tow with a standard.


If I was also isolated from the fuel bill and the speed at which I could pull grades, you’re correct, I wouldn’t notice the difference!
Also duty cycle is to be considered.

I pull a fair amount of “heavy” trailers with my company 1/2 ton. Trans shelled out at 60k miles. Brakes at about 70k, they were shot. Rear springs are fine but they’ve taken a set and sit lower/softer than the same truck that doesn’t work hard.
Engine? Good so far at 85k but I wonder if it’s still a 250k motor or if I’ve used up more if it’s life proportionally speaking?
Do I care? Nope. It’s the tool I was provided. In my personal life, I prefer a 1/2” drive impact wrench to a ratchet and breaker bar too. Ratchet will do the same job. But slower and with more effort required.
I have 5 acres to mow. Have 60” zero turn and a 36” walk behind mowers. A $400 22” mower would do the same job, just slower and more effort.
Same thing.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/04/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steve-n-vicki wrote:

I have a 2020 F350 ,crew cab ,long wheelbase, 4 x 4 with 373’s, 7.3 engine, 10 speed
I have about 6100 miles on the truck , I have a towed a flatbed trailer with a 1800 pound zero turn mower on it or a John Deere 1025R tractor with loader and backhoe,I was getting 12.8 MPG,I recently towed a 2003 F250 with a 73 diesel, 4 x 4 crew cab and got the same 12.8, All of it has been flatland Towing,I like the 7.3 and 10 speed
For what I’m using it for, I am told the 6.2 performances similar but at a greater gas burn penalty


From the little driving I have done in the new 7.3L, I would say that it has more low end than the 6.2L. It is not a huge amount, but it was noticeable when unloaded and probably even more noticeable when loaded. It is common for a pushrod engine to have more low end torque than a overhead cam due to how they are designed.

danrclem

Ky.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/05/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

steve-n-vicki wrote:

I have a 2020 F350 ,crew cab ,long wheelbase, 4 x 4 with 373’s, 7.3 engine, 10 speed
I have about 6100 miles on the truck , I have a towed a flatbed trailer with a 1800 pound zero turn mower on it or a John Deere 1025R tractor with loader and backhoe,I was getting 12.8 MPG,I recently towed a 2003 F250 with a 73 diesel, 4 x 4 crew cab and got the same 12.8, All of it has been flatland Towing,I like the 7.3 and 10 speed
For what I’m using it for, I am told the 6.2 performances similar but at a greater gas burn penalty


From the little driving I have done in the new 7.3L, I would say that it has more low end than the 6.2L. It is not a huge amount, but it was noticeable when unloaded and probably even more noticeable when loaded. It is common for a pushrod engine to have more low end torque than a overhead cam due to how they are designed.


Do you have any seat time pulling with the 7.3 in hilly areas at highway speed. I would think that the 7.3 and the 10 speed would outshine the 6.2 in those conditions since the torque is at a much lower rpm.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/06/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danrclem wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

steve-n-vicki wrote:

I have a 2020 F350 ,crew cab ,long wheelbase, 4 x 4 with 373’s, 7.3 engine, 10 speed
I have about 6100 miles on the truck , I have a towed a flatbed trailer with a 1800 pound zero turn mower on it or a John Deere 1025R tractor with loader and backhoe,I was getting 12.8 MPG,I recently towed a 2003 F250 with a 73 diesel, 4 x 4 crew cab and got the same 12.8, All of it has been flatland Towing,I like the 7.3 and 10 speed
For what I’m using it for, I am told the 6.2 performances similar but at a greater gas burn penalty


From the little driving I have done in the new 7.3L, I would say that it has more low end than the 6.2L. It is not a huge amount, but it was noticeable when unloaded and probably even more noticeable when loaded. It is common for a pushrod engine to have more low end torque than a overhead cam due to how they are designed.


Do you have any seat time pulling with the 7.3 in hilly areas at highway speed. I would think that the 7.3 and the 10 speed would outshine the 6.2 in those conditions since the torque is at a much lower rpm.


No, I only drove both unloaded which is why I said it probably even more noticeable when loaded. The final gear ratios of the 10 speed and 6 speed are very close(.63 on the 10 speed and .69 on the 6 speed) and at highway speed the 7.3L felt like it had more low end to slightly accelerate without needing to downshift. It is not diesel like in any way where you can accelerate rather rapidly with a toe-in of the pedal at highway speeds, but it was noticeable. The 6.2L felt like it needed to downshift for any kind of acceleration in 6th gear even though it has the gear advantage over the 10 speed.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op here - so this particular truck is sold so it's kind of a moot point. Plus the mileage unloaded is awful. I am focusing my searches on a 2015 or newer F350 6.7 with under 100k Miles. They seem to hover in the $36-40k range. From what I am seeing, the F250 those years and miles are almost the exact same price, so it makes sense to just go with the F350. These trucks in good shape seem pretty hard to find though in a 300 mile radius.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

ordually

Castle Rock, Colorado

Full Member

Joined: 11/08/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/07/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Remember everything is relative - the HDT guys with ISXs and DD15s lugging up grades @ 1250rpm would say the little 1 ton diesels "screaming their heads off" at 2600 rpm is not relaxed enough...


Yep! And the drivers of the big ships would think anything over 102 RPM is screaming. It's all relative.

The OP now looking at a 100kmi+ Ford 6.7, I suggest looking for an extended warranty with the sale (Ford certified or other) on those engines, and price in what an injector replacement runs.


2005 F350 SRW V10 4.10 CC LB 4x4; BW Turnover ball; LineX
2011 Sequoia 5.7L 4.30; Tundra Towing Mirrors; LT 275/65R18 C Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on 2nd set of wheels
2005 Nash 22H TT

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/07/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ordually wrote:

RoyJ wrote:

Remember everything is relative - the HDT guys with ISXs and DD15s lugging up grades @ 1250rpm would say the little 1 ton diesels "screaming their heads off" at 2600 rpm is not relaxed enough...


Yep! And the drivers of the big ships would think anything over 102 RPM is screaming. It's all relative.

The OP now looking at a 100kmi+ Ford 6.7, I suggest looking for an extended warranty with the sale (Ford certified or other) on those engines, and price in what an injector replacement runs.


Can you add more detail? Are they prone to needing replacement at a certain mileage? What's the relative cost? Do I need an extended warranty? Been doing a lot of research and can't seem to find a lot of common issues. I have had my F150 5.4 for 14 years and 250k miles. It's had it's share of issues, especially with the plugs and coil packs, but I can sort that out on my own. I don't know much about diesels. Is the 6.7l problematic? I've asked a few fiends who were former ford dealers and they didn't mention anything about it. I don't want to infer but your advice is sort of vague. And I am not looking at 100k + trucks, I am looking under 100k. A few I am looking at this weekend are about 60-70k miles. Not a lot on a 2015 and 2016. From what I can tell, most of the turbo issues were fixed with an upgraded turbo from 2015 on. All things considered they seem to be very reliable engine for hundreds of thousands of miles.

* This post was edited 07/07/20 07:14pm by way2roll *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.