Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the helpful insight. Lantley nailed it - I knew I was shopping for a diesel and this brand new gas comes up for the same price - bargain.

So it sounds like the gas isn't a bad truck per se, and will likely do the job of a lot of FW's just not larger ones. Makes sense and I wasn't looking for a large FW anyway. The value after purchase I think is relative, if you pay $10k more for the diesel, it's worth $10k more at resale. But when I buy a truck I don't think resale. The last truck I bought new - a 2007 F150 has 250k miles on it and still runs great. Point being, any truck I buy, I plan to keep til the wheels come off so resale is not really a factor.

But the points of buying the right tool for the job are not lost on me. In context, we will be part timing next year while we do a tour of the US for about 3-6 mos. After that trips will go back to being more sporadic and the truck will be my daily driver. (daily driver is pretty loose as I work remote). I do have to be cautious that after this trip is over I am left with way more truck than I need. If there is such a thing as having too much truck. :-)

The gas truck is new, it's cheaper,but is pretty much maxed out even with a smaller FW and the mileage is horrible. A comparable diesel truck is more up to the task and doesn't really put a limit on the FW we get and gets better mileage but I'd have to buy 2-4 years used and likely close to 100k miles.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recall but I think the 6.2 can be equipped with the 10 speed transmission otherwise if going with a 6 speed I would go with the 4.30 gears for sure.

I would also give a hard look at the 7.3 with the 10 speed as this will probably be a little better towing experience.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I don't recall but I think the 6.2 can be equipped with the 10 speed transmission otherwise if going with a 6 speed I would go with the 4.30 gears for sure.

I would also give a hard look at the 7.3 with the 10 speed as this will probably be a little better towing experience.

Good advise here! I think the 6.2 with 10-speed is only available in the 350.

Jerry

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley explained it extremely well, but as OP stated he can get a good deal on a gasser. 250 VS 350, opt for the 350 in any gas configuration. 99.9% of us started off w/ 3/4 ton then went to 1 tons for extra weight capacity. Price diff is negligible. OP, if you can find a 350 w/ the 6.2 as long as your set on a gasser, go w/ that. If you think that down the road you will upgrade to a larger 5er, then opt for the 350 w/ the 7.3 10 speed tranny.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks gang. I am still leaning to the used diesel F350. It allows for expand-ability and I am far less limited in what FW I choose, or upgrade to later. I don't put many miles on a vehicle - as I said I work remote so whatever I get will last me a long time.

I like having a warranty with new, but of course more bang for your buck on used.

The sweet spot for me is a 2015 or newer F350 diesel with less than 100k miles and less than $40k, preferably closer to $35k or under.

They are very rare in the area I am in. I think a handful within a 200 mile radius.

When I saw the brand new 250 6.2 for that price ata dealer very close to me, it certainly sparked my interest but very limiting for sure. I am in no rush though which is good for me.

One thing coming out of this, I need to learn more about these trucks before I buy. So many configurations of engine, tranny, trim, ratios etc. The more I know, the better decision I can make. Thanks for the education so far.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marcela wrote:

Don't be afraid of the gasser. It has it's benefits also. Compare horsepower to horsepower, that is what you use.

I'd hope the diesel is worth more at resale, they cost around $10k additional.

I pulled a gooseneck trailer loaded with almost 14k # and a GMC 1 ton SRW and the 6.0 gasser and moved down the road at 70 mph easy, though it wasn't in 6th gear, but 5th.

Couple comments.
If HP is what you “use” , then why do they even make those pesky expensive diesels?
Or put another way, that is a false statement.

Of course the diesel is worth more on resale. Unless it’s a clapped out pile of junk with high miles, typically it’s worth most of or sometimes more than the initial upcharge.

I have no doubt the 6 liter GM moved a14klb flatbed load down the highway with ease....in Kansas. We have a fleet of them that pull stuff regularly. Good reliable trucks.
But try that same weight with a high profile trailer, into a headwind, up a grade, at altitude, or any combination or all of the above. Then tell us how well it pulls.
That’s like me saying I tow my wakeboard boat with my 6 cylinder CJ5. I have, but only to a boat launch that was 3 miles away on side streets. I won’t pretend I could tow it down the highway.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll, not sure which Of the trucks you were looking at in that ad, but presuming you’re wanting to only spend $25-30k on a truck. There’s a lot of trucks out there for that much and a “few” lower mile diesels, but you can’t be as picky.
As far as “too much truck” leftover once your done with your tour, they’re all the same physical size and if it’s the cost, buy what you “want” and dump it and recoup your money after the big trip.
On the flip side if you’re into keeping it for the long haul, then how much more does the diesel really cost you if you spread it out over 10-20 years?

You can still get the diesel advantage With low miles and reduce the out-lay of expense a few ways.
Get 2wd. I wouldn’t, but on the used market, 2 wheelers don’t resell well. Ext cab vs crew cab. Same thing, not near as popular, but totally not necessary to have a CC for 2 people. Stripped down work truck versions. You can buy low mile 4th gen Ram tradesmen CC 4x4s for mid $30s all day long.
Or go old. Spend $25k on a super low mile mid 2000s Duramax. I wouldn’t touch a 2003-2010 Powerstroke and wouldn’t want an 11-14 Pstroke either. And I wouldn’t have a 3rd gen Ram with a 4 speed either, but a nice LLY, LBZ or LMM Dmax would fit the bill nicely.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Example, a buddy bought a 2012 Powerstroke ext cab 4x4, XLT , 30k miles, for like $31k a few months ago.
Truck is like new in every way. But that combo (and it’s green, but nice dark green metallic) is close to $10k less than if it was a King Ranch crew cab.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the OP's position when we decided to purchase a fifth wheel. I knew which one I wanted and it weighs about 12K. Bought a 2017 Ram 3/4 ton with the 6.4 hemi - payload was awesome, added the pucks, plopped in a B&W Companion and off I went. Reasons for buying the gasser included listening to friends and family saying I didn't need the diesel, being afraid of stuff that could go wrong, expensive maintenance -the whole gamut.

Brought it while still owning the old Coleman and dragged it around from storage to home, and one last trip. Really nice towing. Bought the new fiver and went on our first trip. Truck was very capable, but the constant roaring in the high RPM bands even up overpasses really gets to me - did with my old truck too - thought it would be different - it wasn't.

Fast forward 5 more trips and I was ready to be out of it - looked at all the used apps for the same thing, a few years old truck with a diesel - I'm stuck on the Ram - sorry Fish, plus my dad worked there for 35 years so I got the A plan - which dealers in non automotive producing states really hate.

I ended up seeing my present truck - a 2018 Ram 3500 with the Aisin and CTD at a dealership, got the deal I wanted for the trade, and man o man, it just rolls up those hills barely peaking 2k RPM and it eats bridges for lunch - it just goes. There is truly nothing like it. I took the west belt of 295 coming home from a trip so I could blast up the Dames Point Bridge and use the exhaust brake coming down the other side - with one hand on the wheel.

I stash money in a savings account specifically for maintenance as the oil changes do cost more, but at 22K miles, I'm only on the second one.

And don't go for the 250 if possible - friend bought an Alpine - tows it with a 2017 F25 he got at Auto Nation. He showed me pictures hooked up and was distressed on how much the rear sagged - so he put air bags on.

Good luck in your search.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

steve-n-vicki

arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2020 F350 ,crew cab ,long wheelbase, 4 x 4 with 373’s, 7.3 engine, 10 speed
I have about 6100 miles on the truck , I have a towed a flatbed trailer with a 1800 pound zero turn mower on it or a John Deere 1025R tractor with loader and backhoe,I was getting 12.8 MPG,I recently towed a 2003 F250 with a 73 diesel, 4 x 4 crew cab and got the same 12.8, All of it has been flatland Towing,I like the 7.3 and 10 speed
For what I’m using it for, I am told the 6.2 performances similar but at a greater gas burn penalty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 F250XL 6.2 V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.