cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly for Truck Camper

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer

I bought this wooden dolly to support my 1800-lb Palomino truck camper inside a hangar with a concrete floor. The dolly supports the weight of the camper nicely, which I think relieves stress on the jacks. But because the four wheels have a tendency to caster independently, it's difficult to maneuver around, especially for one person. Any ideas on the best way to get the loaded dolly to move in the direction I want?
7 REPLIES 7

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnEv942 wrote:
Images-Right clicking and click view image, I can see them otherwise not showing.
On 4 wheels generally lead end wheels would be fixed and the push side would be steer. I'd imagine pushing cart sideways be desirable so a means to lock temporarily until need to pivot.
Dont know if these help. Much smaller wheels on my welding cart. It would turn in circles before going straight or where ever it wanted.

Just drilled thru base with clear hole into castor flange, base is threaded

Now that, my friend, is a good fix!
No welding involved and STILL gets good penetration! Winning!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

JohnAM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using a metal dolly purchased from Rieco for many years. It has a hitch so I can move it with truck, though once inside garage on flat smooth floor I can move it by hand. It has fixed casters in the rear and swivel casters in the front (hitch).
2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Brilliant, thanks

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Images-Right clicking and click view image, I can see them otherwise not showing.
On 4 wheels generally lead end wheels would be fixed and the push side would be steer. I'd imagine pushing cart sideways be desirable so a means to lock temporarily until need to pivot.
Dont know if these help. Much smaller wheels on my welding cart. It would turn in circles before going straight or where ever it wanted.

Just drilled thru base with clear hole into castor flange, base is threaded
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can you lock two of the wheels to keep them from spinning?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Two of the wheels should be fixed. No photos.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Replace 2 of the casters with ones that don't swivel. then it will track straight when you want it to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold