cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really cheap DIY for Carefree Awning Headknockers

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a carefree awning on our RV and we are generally happy with it.
However I'm 6'2" and I kept bumping my head on that elbow that sticks down. It was what's known as a headknocker.

So when next in Wally World I picked up a roll of inch wide bright colored ribbon in the crafts area , orange in my case. The roll only has a few feet of ribbon and I cut it in half and tied one doubled over piece to each elbow front and back. I haven't whacked my head on it since doing that.

The ribbon rolls up with the awning and blows in the wind going down the road. It's held up for three thousand miles so far and is a bit weather worn but still functional. Think it cost less than $3.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
4 REPLIES 4

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
wtmtnhiker, thanks for the tip on the bump cap -- I had never heard of such a thing! I am 6'3" and am constantly hitting my head. Off to do some online shopping!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry pool noodles that we slit down one side, they wrap around the arms and provide enough cushioning. The only downside is if you have sudden unexpected wind gusts you have to take them off before you can retract the awning.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing as I am 6'3". I also wear a bump cap when I am working around the trailer especially when setting up and taking down. It fits inside my ball cap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Skullerz-Universal-Bump-Cap-Insert-8945/312521022
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Such as this?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad