Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Driving to Durango CO from Moab with a Fifth Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Driving to Durango CO from Moab with a Fifth Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did that drive a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad at all. Much better than the drive from Escalante to Torrey, UT. We always run in tow/haul mode but when going down hills, we go to manual mode for the transmission. That way we can nudge it down as needed. We have actually dropped down to first gear on a steep down hill grade. Just take you time and pull off if you need to.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do it frequently with relatives both sides of Wolf Creek Pass, once in snow, not by choice & not predicted 4" at the summit. Here's some advice from someone drove long haul in the 11 western states: You can go down hill too slow many many times, too fast once. Use low gears, exhaust brake if you have it, and keep speed down, it not a race.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Meetravel

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the inputs. It is so valuable. I hope it will help future inquiries.

We have diesel not gas.... will consider upgrade to exhaust brakes.

And yes, this area, the south west CO is BEAUTIFUL and NOURISHING!!!

Enjoy summer travelers....

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

I do it frequently with relatives both sides of Wolf Creek Pass, once in snow, not by choice & not predicted 4" at the summit. Here's some advice from someone drove long haul in the 11 western states: You can go down hill too slow many many times, too fast once. Use low gears, exhaust brake if you have it, and keep speed down, it not a race.

not meaning to hijack the thread, but I'm old. I remember when Wolf Creek pass was an adventure to behold. Now you can cross it at high speeds in all kinds of weather, well, almost all kinds. The last time I went over it eastbound towards South fork they did stop you on the other side and make sure you had chains or four-wheel drive. I had four wheel and a small utility trailer behind me in my expedition and did just fine.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Meetravel

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"You can go down hill too slow many many times, too fast once..."

need to make a sticker of this quote.... So right.

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/20 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even Interstate 70 in Colorado has numerous 6% grades. Eg., both sides of Vail Pass, west approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel, Silver Plume to Georgetown, Mt. Vernon Canyon and Floyd Hill west of Golden, etc. That's why most of them have runaway truck ramps and flashing signs telling you to use low gear.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what engine you have, you should always be going down a pass in either the gear you went up or the next lower. I have gone down the west side of the Bighorns on 14A driving a car pulling a 2000 pound popup, a Toyota based 6000 pound Class C (22Re engine) F150 pulling TT. By using lower gears I have never had my brakes get warm much less hot..
Take your time, enjoy the scenery. The drivers at the Indy 500 don't get to enjoy the scenery. We do.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Driving to Durango CO from Moab with a Fifth Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.