cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Bikes???

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
The better half and I are looking at Electric Bikes. We have our Mountain bikes and they do a good job. We are getting close to retirement and are looking at electric bikes for campground use and trail riding. She is looking at a regular looking MB but with the extra electric power if we need it. I am concerned about the price and the possibility of theft if we leave them at the campground. We have looked at Specialized bikes but they start at around 2700 for the kind she likes. Any suggestions on brand would be helpful. Most of our bikes have been Specialized so we are kind of partial to them. We will be looking at the other major brands as well. We bought the standard foldup bikes at Camping World and we do not care for them.
Thanks
Ray
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
44 REPLIES 44

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Heres an interesting ev bike
eRockit

https://youtu.be/C5UB4AtKY7s

dedmiston
Congratulations Barney! I hope you fall in love with it.

Donโ€™t skimp on the safety gear.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Barney I'm right there with you. THis thread caused me to spend a few $$$ as well. I bought to Pedego bikes from my local dealer 2 weeks ago. I was certainly
influenced and motivated by this thread as well!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You guys have caused me to spend some more money! :B. This happens all the time to me! :E

I have been biking all my life except have found it a bit much to bike very far anymore. I just purchased a RadRover ST-1 which I hope will let me continue to bike for a few more years. It has a low step over height which I need now. Have not received it yet but am certainly looking forward to it. Not the most expensive but should get the job done for this 83 year old! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Photo from web search, not taken by me.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I just read an interesting article.
Ned overend an elite professional cross country mtnbike racer claims in the article that his wife can now keep up with him every step of the way with her Ebike.

At 60 i still mtnbike for exercise.

I do think the Ebike allows those to get out and enjoy some form of exercise that may otherwise not.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Great info on e-bike from actual users.
The poster who said to get your advice from a dedicated forum is not totally correct.
Thanks

Jesseannie

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Lectric XP so I could keep up with the grandkids when we went camping. This thing is awesome. Now they can't keep up with me! It's a folding bike with 4" fat tires. Very well made and the best bang for the buck on the market.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
I ride a lot of miles for exercise. It is really the only form of exercise I come close to enjoying. I want an E-Bike desperately and so far I have listened to that little voice that tells me the day I get one I will be on the road to gaining 50lbs. I know my self control, which is close to zero when it comes to putting more effort into doing something than is necessary. Translation: I would use the motorized features of the bike exclusively and never work up a sweat again. Just like the half gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream, leaving the E-Bikes in the store and keeping temptation at bay is the best decision for me.

I haven't looked them up, but supposedly there are studies that show that those with ebikes ride longer and farther than those with regular bikes, and thus end up getting plenty of exercise. I developed bad sciatica some months ago and could no longer walk / treadmill 2 miles per day as I had been doing. So I bought the ebike and ride it almost daily. My physical health has improved greatly because I am getting exercise again.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
I ride a lot of miles for exercise. It is really the only form of exercise I come close to enjoying. I want an E-Bike desperately and so far I have listened to that little voice that tells me the day I get one I will be on the road to gaining 50lbs. I know my self control, which is close to zero when it comes to putting more effort into doing something than is necessary. Translation: I would use the motorized features of the bike exclusively and never work up a sweat again. Just like the half gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream, leaving the E-Bikes in the store and keeping temptation at bay is the best decision for me.

If you get a true pedal assist you can still get a good workout. But it will be at a much faster pace.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the electric bike you like and can afford. You will love it. I have a Magnum Cruiser & put over 400 miles last season in Florida. E-bikes are heavy. Mine is 60#. You can remove the battery for loading/unloading the bike rack. My battery is 48 volt & 500 watt and weighs 10#. I have rode over 30/35 miles & still a lot of battery power left. There is a button to push if you want 0 peddle assist. Just peddle it like a regular bike. It has 8 speeds to shift too & 1 to 6 peddle assist's to chose from.
Wish I bought it sooner....

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
You are on the wrong forum to be asking about MTB's but i know a thing or two...

You get what you pay for.
Specialized are very good e-bikes, you really can't go wring there. Treks are good as well as all the Name brand bikes you see at real bike shops.

My friends have the $6,000-8,000 priced models and love them.

The similarities in all quality bikes are the motors. There are only a few who supply the motors, and the bike frame is specific to the manufacturer (Specialized or Trek), but the rest of the parts are 99% going to be from Shimano or Sram for drivetrain/brakes, and whoever for wheels, and Sram or Fox for suspension.

I assume by Trail Riding you mean dirt walking paths, or do you mean real mtb trails? If real trails, then look into getting a fatter tire (3.6 to 4 inches wide) vs the regular 2.6 that will come on most e-bikes. Bigger tire is less chance of flatting that 47lb bike, and more traction and comfort.

If you want to go the budget route then you can still get rear wheels that have the electric motor in them, and these will retro fit into any bike, or just buy the complete bike with that rear wheel.

For security, be careful, they can get stolen. Do not use braided cables to lock them. Use a manly heavy industrial chain and quality disc lock, or better to get a bike lock, like the NY lock, that has a guarantee to not get stolen even in NYC. More likely whatever it is locked to will be cut than the lock. Keep them inside and out of sight.
ABus or Kryptonite are quality brands found a a real bike shop or online.

$6000 to $8000 for a bike and the all use the same components! WOW. My Rad Rover was Only $1400 and I never have a problem. Be aware there is a bike shortage, it may take a month or two to get one.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for RadPower. I have a Rad Rover, has fat tires. My dad has a Rad City. Heโ€™s 97 and put close to 5000 miles on it in the last year. He is 97!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Beleive it or not they make conversion kits.
Basically and electric powered FRONT wheel. the rear wheel is not affected so you can pedal assist.

I'm leaning that way as there are some excellent used light weight bikes that can be converted. The e-bikes I've seen and rented are heavy.

I'm not worried about the e-bike police chasing me and putting me in e-bike jail for having a throttle. :B
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP