cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable grill/stove

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we made our first trip in the new to us camper. No one died, we all seemed to do ok. But, my goal is for us to not live in the camper when we are camping.

I'd prefer to cook outside unless the weather or bugs are an issue. I brought my Coleman 2 burner stove with us but we didn't use it. I'd like to have the option of cooking and grilling outside when we camp. But, this appliance will be stored I side so it needs to be clean and small enough to store.

So, what affordable exterior grill/stove are you using?
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
26 REPLIES 26

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got a Weber Q100/Baby-Q, and carried it around for several years in the toolbox I carry on the front bumper. Due to its height, I always had to take the lid off the grill and stow them side-by-side in order to get the toolbox lid closed. So, the grill took up twice as much space in the toolbox as it should have.

I bought this Coleman Fold N Go Grill about a year ago, and so far I like it. Itโ€™s just big enough to cook a couple of hamburgers, steaks, or chops, which is what Iโ€™m typically grilling. It could easily handle 3, and maybe 4 if needed. You can find it cheaper than Amazon has it for right now. I paid about $65.

Itโ€™s small, not very tall, and fits in the space I have for it very well. I havenโ€™t tried this yet, but I think you could set a frying pan on it also.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.hsn.com/products/lifesmart-270-sq-in-reversible-gas-grill-and-griddle-wi/9417633?sz=5&sf=QC0251&ac=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping%20engine&utm_term=&utm_campaign=GShopping%7CL%7CBrandProduct%7CKitchen+Food&utm_content=55626489293_pla-920026838332_9417634&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5NKepZO87AIVFD6tBh2LlAO5EAQYAiABEgLr9vD_BwE

Went to this and stopped looking.

Blackstone: cooking your burgers IN GREASE! No way, wanted grates...
OR
Use the flat side for breakfast!
&
With a closing lid
&
A bag...
&
cheap conversion kit for camper stub outside...no more 1lb cylinders.

Done. :B
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP mentioned wanting to spend a lot of time outdoors. I do that but not in the campground. I am usually out sightseeing, hiking and doing photography almost all the waking hours of the day.

Carrying grills and fuel and the accessories are just not worth it to me, especially because space is limited in a truck camper. Most of my outdoor cooking is limited to grilling over a campfire. I have the usual folding marshmellow/hot dog skewers and I kept the roughly 14" top of an old grill. I use it on top of campground grills so my burgers are not on the dirty/rusty grill provided. Without a campground grill I can get by holding the grill up over coals with some rocks.

Rou222
Explorer
Explorer
we have a Magma Products one.
works well for us and it's really small.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar one to 2 Piece. Mine is a Weber and I've had it for years. Still works great.

Weber Grill
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

2_Piece
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper is limited for space and for people, why have a huge grill for 2-4 people? I like small and light weight. This works fine for us and I cook for up to 4 on it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Grill-17-5-10-000-BTU-Portable-Gas-Grill-Black/238454155
2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
To answer a couple of questions and concerns I've seen since my post.

To adapter to a standard lp system would be easy with an adapter hose. Any that converts your propane to the round connector for a 1# bottle will work. To tie into a system after the TC regulator would be a bit more troublesome, but could be done.

As far as putting a pot on and boiling water, should be able to do it but would use more propane than a little side grill.

I've been carrying the 17" with the griddle in the normal position in the back seat for the last 3,000 miles, some of it rough road. No bending of the sheet metal at the four post. No smell even after cooking salmon which is one of the smelliest things I know. We just put a Blackstone cover on it before sliding it into the little wooden box sitting in the back seat. The side towards the door of the box is open, but we haven't noticed any smell, even after getting in the truck at the end of a hot day.

One of the key things to the griddle is not cleaning it too well. Usually after I cook, just scrape then turn off. When I turn it back on for the next use, just scrape again, wipe down with a paper towel then light coat of olive oil. Things like burgers are the worse, but still not a big deal.

Cool down for storage takes about as long as required to eat. I have put it up within a couple of minutes when we had a storm roll in, just didn't put the cover on it until later.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Just a head up for anyone out looking to get a Blackstone 17" griddle and SAVE $30. I found it currently On-Sale at Target for $79.99 Plus Tax (shipping FREE).

Griddle ON SALE at Target

These are on Amazon, E-Bay, and Walmart for $109.

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:
We had the Blackstone and sent it right back. We couldn't figure out how to plumb it into our propane system. They have a proprietary connector/fitting. Carting around a bunch of those 1lb bottles when we have 40lbs ready to go seems kinda dumb.

Now we successfully use this Camp Chef Ranger 2-burner stove with regulator removed that hooks into our camper propane with a quick connect. It also gives you a bigger surface area than the Blackstone, I think.

https://www.campchef.com/ranger-ii.html.

Cranks heat and stays clean. It lives in our generator compartment.

With it we use a griddle such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Burner-Backsplash-Griddle/dp/B0089XJDP8/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=non-stick+griddle&qid=1592699952&sr=8-32

Catches your grease for easy cleanup. It is aluminum and very lightweight, drawback is it has warped somewhat. When the non-stick is nolonger ok, we'll replace with a heavier duty one.
It is very versatile from pancakes to eggs to veggies to steaks.

We used to have a Weber Q grill, but it was so bulky and HEAVY to store and MESSY and smelly in the camper. Our current setup is much more user friendly. Only thing you might miss is the flame-grilled taste.

The mess and smell is certainly a concern. We have a griddle in the camper which I stole form our camping stuff. Perhaps having a grill vs just a stove is not that important. I have been known to fry a steak or a burger in a pan when the weather or time or recipe doesn't call for or allow the grill.

Somewhere I have a small propane grill. Perhaps it will find a place in the camper in a trash bag or something similar. Perhaps not.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go!

https://www.campchef.com/ranger-ii.html

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:

Do you happen to have the dimensions for this? I can't find anything on the web site.

Thanks,
Rick
2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We had the Blackstone and sent it right back. We couldn't figure out how to plumb it into our propane system. They have a proprietary connector/fitting. Carting around a bunch of those 1lb bottles when we have 40lbs ready to go seems kinda dumb.

Now we successfully use this Camp Chef Ranger 2-burner stove with regulator removed that hooks into our camper propane with a quick connect. It also gives you a bigger surface area than the Blackstone, I think.

Cranks heat and stays clean. It lives in our generator compartment.

With it we use a griddle such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Burner-Backsplash-Griddle/dp/B0089XJDP8/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=non-stick+griddle&qid=1592699952&sr=8-32

Catches your grease for easy cleanup. It is aluminum and very lightweight, drawback is it has warped somewhat. When the non-stick is nolonger ok, we'll replace with a heavier duty one.
It is very versatile from pancakes to eggs to veggies to steaks.

We used to have a Weber Q grill, but it was so bulky and HEAVY to store and MESSY and smelly in the camper. Our current setup is much more user friendly. Only thing you might miss is the flame-grilled taste.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
We've tried three different grills before settling on a plain metal grill grate. It packs easily, just put it in a plastic bag and shove it in the storage compartment. I can arrange rocks or firewood to hold the grate in place and voila! grilled food, nice and smoky.

I really need to put those other grills on craigslist.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
We have this Coleman barbeque that works well for us:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Camp-Propane-Grill/48436008?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227035945158&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=76741047874&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-177945211714&wl5=9028916&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=48436008&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Nv3BRC8ARIsAPh8hgLRQL_kdN1Nn9Y4dgzPj3asRvQzXcIfzDXIfO2n1AZy3u0xrKmCMNoaAuPMEALw_wcB

Since there is not a lot of storage space in a truck camper, one of the main shopping criteria was that it would fit in the Bigfoot basement.