cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toll roads or not

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
In the latter part of September (covid permit) a group of 3 rigs will be finishing our 4000 mile trip of the n.e. I have reservations made at the parks between Bar Harbor Maine and Cleveland Ohio. We plan on stopping at Littleton, MA and Bloomsburg, PA.

Never really traveling via Toll roads I have a few questions. Our we better to travel off interstates on the way to Cleveland? I started to plan that way but found it very hard to travel the east without finding you are on a toll road.

If toll road are we better to get the Ezpass or pay cash? From what I read we pay forward on the ezpass, so if we do not use our money up do we get it back?

Any other suggestions would be helpful. I have made reservations at all the rv parks along the way.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
19 REPLIES 19

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
caffeyw wrote:

While yes, one must be careful about low clearance, RV/motorhomes are not prohibited. Commercial trucks/tractor trailers are prohibited. Also what is a "parkway" can vary in different parts of the state.

There's only one parkway in New York state that's not limited to passenger cars only, so far as I know: the Lake Ontario State Parkway, west of Rochester, which permits noncommercial trailers and motorhomes (I assume because it exists, in part, to provide access to state parks that have campgrounds and boat ramps). Other than that one oddball exception, motorhomes and trailers of any kind, including camping trailers, are not permitted on parkways in New York and Connecticut.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the NY Ezpass it can all be run off the internet so you can keep track of what you're doing. One warning is it takes a full 48 hours from when you're low balance occurs to when the replenishment actually happens. The NYS computer system runs in 24 hour cycles, one to trigger the call for replenisment and another overnight to actually input the replenishment to your account even though your cc has registered a debit the day before.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

caffeyw
Explorer
Explorer
mkc wrote:

That said...

And to the OP, be aware you cannot go on anything labeled "Parkway" in NYS, even if your GPS insists on it 😉 You're not allowed and you won't fit under the low clearance structures.

While yes, one must be careful about low clearance, RV/motorhomes are not prohibited. Commercial trucks/tractor trailers are prohibited. Also what is a "parkway" can vary in different parts of the state.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
There are some tolls in ME as well on 95 and will incur some on 90 as well in MA till you hit 84. Once on 84 nothing.......however maybe a toll to cross the Hudson River in NY. Others chime in if I'm wrong.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you all for your impute. Looks like I really need to rethink this travel path.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the PA Pike was built about 1953 and was supposed to be paid for in 10 years----pretty long 10 years. And on top of that I don't think they have fixed a pot hole in all that time + keep raising the tolls. I actually have a EZ pass issued by the PA Turnpike. Maybe I better take a look and see what it is costing me these days-----Avoid it!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I remember traveling on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in my Class B. The road was obviously designed for traffic conditons in the 1950's, and the toll was outrageous. They even charged extra because my converted van was a high top! I have traveled the Florida Turnpike instead of I95- little difference except I95 is free!!!

I rather enjoy traveling the back roads and going through the towns.

PA Turnpike has been increasing tolls for years and plans to increase every year to 2028. Theft!

I live in PA and will not use the turnpike, there are other options unless your time is precious.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I remember traveling on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in my Class B. The road was obviously designed for traffic conditons in the 1950's, and the toll was outrageous. They even charged extra because my converted van was a high top! I have traveled the Florida Turnpike instead of I95- little difference except I95 is free!!!

I rather enjoy traveling the back roads and going through the towns.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where Littleton MA is, but Ferndale summed it up best for routes. I agree as well w/ many others that getting a E-Z pass is the way to go and if on I-95 in NH, it's best to have it as well as there are a few toll plazas on 95. MA does not have toll booths anymore (NY supposed to be same way by end of '20), but E-Z pass is still best method.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Run I 86 across the southern border of NY

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If you have a motorhome and are going on I-90 across New York, for instance, the motorhome discount plan will save you a good chunk of money (about half the toll vs. cash) if you request it with a New York state EZPass transciever.

That said, you cannot order a motorhome transponder online or over the phone with the discount plan. You must send them a completed form plus a copy of your current registration receipt and then they enable the discount. The registration must say "registration receipt" on it somewhere (be forewarned - the first one you get in Texas says "Title receipt" or something like that and they did not accept it for ours because it didn't match their needed verbage).

In addition, NYS uses different transponders for towing vs. not towing, or at least they were doing so up through 2017 when we got ours. Their transponders explicitly match the number of axles.

If you traverse the NYS Thruway often, it's worth the hassle, but plan ahead and give yourself a few months to get the correct transponders. Otherwise, there are other states that are easier to sign up with; you just won't get the discount.

And to the OP, be aware you cannot go on anything labeled "Parkway" in NYS, even if your GPS insists on it 😉 You're not allowed and you won't fit under the low clearance structures.

Edited to add - link to NYS Thruway Toll Calculator.

You are over 7'6" so put in "all other vehicles", then select "over 7'6"" and then the number of axles (total) on the ground.

Example - PA State Line to Mass State Line, 2 axle motorhome or truck pulling a 2 axle car or trailer - $68.80. Tag axle motorhome pulling 2 axle car is $92.95

Last we went through, NY takes cash only, no cards or checks, and nothing larger than a $20 bill.
2017 LTV Unity

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would stay on I-495 to I-290 to I-90 (toll) to I-84 to I-81 to I-80. Would depend on where you are going in Cleveland as to what route to take once in Ohio.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
In Pennsylvania they eliminated toll collectors and everything is now either EZ Pass or bill in mail based on license plate. If you use the bill by mail the cost is significantly more money. There have been issues with the bill by mail such as late bills excess charges wrong person billed etc. My EZ Pass has been flawless.

If you elect toll roads then I would definitely go EZ Pass.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in the NE for many years. For the type of travel you are planning, would definitely "bite the bullet" and get an EZ Pass for the Interstates and bridges. There are discounts for using it, and the time and traffic you will save makes it a far less stressful. The earlier suggestion for fueling is also significant. Too many fuel stations along the 'back roads' are not accessible for our 34'MH, towing our car. If you enjoy meandering, and don't mind heavy traffic, with many stop and go situations, by all means stay on local roads. If you are planning to deal with any of the many major cities, definitely pay the tolls. Just our experience
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!