cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear view camera

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
By definition, it's not a back-up camera I'm looking for, but I do want to use it as I'm backing up to the 5er. What I would prefer is a battery powered camera I can temporarily, magnetically attach to my tool box and it will transmit an image to my iPhone while I'm backing up to the pin box. I'll just store it until the next time I hitch up. I used to be able to see the hitch from the driver's seat, but with this truck the rails sit high enough that I can no longer do that, Is there such an animal?
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
9 REPLIES 9

frisco_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Update on the Type S

Took the rig out down to the Texas Coast this past week, and used the camera for the first time.

Previously had said I thought I needed to velcro the bottom of the camera to the trailer, but- not necessary. Just needed to tighten the nuts all the way on the plate, and it was fine.

Camera worked fine. Biggest benefit is seeing who's behind you before you change lanes. Didn't really use it for backing up. I trust my side mirrors and me poking my head out the window more than looking at a camera. Just a matter of me getting used to the camera view and what I'm really looking at I think, but even then...may still prefer not using it when backing. If anything, I may use it as another data point when backing, along with mirrors and "head poking".
2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered the one Healyman suggested. I'm hoping it'll work as a backup camera. The only concern at this point is whether or how the reverse image will appear. My guess that it won't actually show a reverse image, unless the app has a feature for that, and that I'll have to get accustomed to that. If I can't then it's back to searching; maybe the Type S mounted on the toolbox? We'll see. At $50 this isn't a huge investment and if it doesn't work as a backup camera I have a couple other things in mind for it.
Det 1 56th SOWg

frisco_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Wife bought me a Type S for father's day. Went out last weekend to the storage lot to see if it would work. Here's my thoughts:

o Was a little concerned about how it would fasten, but that was fine. 2 screws holding the plate line up with the Type S mounting holes. However...I have that stupid combo light/plate holder that most have. The one with the plastic mounting tabs that always break. One has already broken, so I have a metal angle bracket in it's place. That side holds well. The other side, the plastic tab cracked, so I siliconed the crack pretty well, and it's been holding. Where this becomes an issue is- the bottom of the Type S is a little heavy, so there seemed to be a bit of sway (was a windy day when I was testing this out). My concern is- with that sway back and forth, it'll put a fair amount of stress on the plastic mounting tab. Thinking about getting velcro fasteners for the bottom of the license plate/Type S to hold it to the camper.

o On the box, it says the signal has a max distance of, I believe, 30-33ft. I have a 27 ft camper, towing with an Expedition, which is about 12-13 ft. Was worried I'd be at the max range of the signal, but- it came through fine to the front seat. Picture was pretty good.

Now...haven't road tested this yet. That will be in a few weeks, but at least....trying it out at the storage facility seemed fine. Just need to see if the velcro solution will be viable.
2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Backup camera

We saw the Type S that Costco sells. I think it is $99.00 in store.

Solar powered from the license plate holder. Wireless to the receiver in cab. Really curious what any users here may say.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
It will Wi-Fi to your phone. I bought one on close-out a year ago for $30. It works GREAT!

Thanks! That fits the bill quite nicely and at a pretty reasonable cost.
Det 1 56th SOWg

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has THIS for $50.

It will Wi-Fi to your phone. I bought one on close-out a year ago for $30. It works GREAT!

Tim

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
A normal backup camera is usually in the handle of the tailgate so with a Fifth Wheel hitch, the tailgate would be down so that camera is useless. There are cameras that are mounted in the cargo light that would work but I think they are pretty pricey to install as an after market camera.

If you're looking to put one on your car, they have backup cameras that are in a license plate bracket. That might work for you.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for an easy after-market backup camera for my car. The one posted by RobWNY looks pretty simple and nifty. I realize it's temporarily placed. My question...what is the difference between a hitch camera and a regular backup camera? Does a normal backup camera give a wider angle view than a hitch camera like this one?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if there is a camera that sends the image to your cell phone but I use this Camera and Monitor System and it works great. I plug in the monitor to a 12V cigarette lighter outlet and then put it all away when done hitching up.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.