Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Decent inexpensive modified sine wave inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Decent inexpensive modified sine wave inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are SO MANY modified sine wave inverters on the market, how do you know if any of them are any good ! They all come from China. Many have identical cases so I bet the internals are the same, just different labels. Even it the case is the same, doesn't mean the internals are different.

(Yes, I WANT modified sine wave. I have my reasons, with cost being a big one.)

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to say the wattage you want. If you want any one receptacle to handle all the rated wattage or if having one that shares the wattage among the receptacles--which is no good for whole house, eg.

A typical 3000w with three receptacles will do about two on any one of two 15s and the third 15 can pick up the other 1000w, eg. Some 1000w are actually two 500s so can't run anything over 500, but can do two of those.

You have to phone their tech supports to find out the truth about all that. The store salesmen won't know and the users' manuals are vague.

On quality, I would look at the store's return policy. Some stores say you can only deal with the product maker for any complaints.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose they are all good in that they do what they are designed to do. I've got a 400w and a 2000w from Harbor Freight, they both work. The thing I have noticed about the cheap ones is they have a high idle current draw. This is compared to my Xantrex pure sine that uses almost no power at idle.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2500 watt Cobra MSW that was rated to run motors. I did sometimes use it on my roof air conditioner. It was $199 in 2009. I did use it at -20 C.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CPI490-Comp........=msw%2Binverter%2Caps%2C503&sr=8-32&th=1

owner's manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/932468/Cobra-Cpi2590.htmlContinuous output power (1 hour) . . . . . . . . . . . 2500W
Surge rating (0.1 second) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5000W
Peak efficiency (12V – 1/2 load) . . . . . . . . . . . . . > 88%
Installation
Efficiency (full load, 12V) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . > 83%
Secondary Icons
No load current draw . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . < 0.6A (12.6V)
Output waveform (resistive load) . . . Modified sine wave
Output frequency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 58HZ – 62HZ
Output voltage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 109V – 120V
Notice
Caution
USB output . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5V
Input voltage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.4VDC – 14.4VDC
Alarm voltage (unload) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .11.0V – 11.6V
Shutdown voltage (unload) . . . . . . . . . . . 10.0V – 10.6V
Operating temperature range . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0°C – 40°C
Storage temperature range . . . . . . . . . . . . -40°C – 85°C
Protection . . . . . . . . . Overload, short-circuit, overtemp,
reverse polarity, under/over voltage

2500 watt = $299.95
130 watt = $14.95

* This post was last edited 06/27/20 12:02am by pianotuna *   View edit history

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/20 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSW at low price? Just sort by price and buy it. What could go wrong?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 03:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

You need to say the wattage you want.

I can't believe I forgot that ! 4000W surge capability

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

You need to say the wattage you want.

I can't believe I forgot that ! 4000W surge capability

So that would be a 2000w inverter with 4000w surge. Can't help with brands, not a clue.

I still have my MSW 2000w Vector I got 12 years ago that still works well that is like Don's Cobra that can run motors and MWs, but Vector is long gone. I put it in the used TC we just got.

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this one, only use it occasionally, seems decent.

Inverter

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our original refrigerator dies (of course a few days before a departure), I found a dorm reefer that would fit and then stopped at Hazard Fright and bought their 750/1500 modified square wave box (I refuse to use the word sine in this context). It was a complete success.

Now comes the adventure....
I managed to repair the unit, a wife does not want it back as the new box worked better. But, she did not like the arrangement of the freezer compartment at all. So, a year or so later, we found one at a big box that she liked and the out side dimensions were about the same. In it went and I sold off the other two.

Down the road a couple years, we were just barely out bound when the magic smoke leaked out the HF inverter. As we were actually closer to the store than home, for 39$us+tax we pick up a replacement and bought the warranty this time.

I took the dead one back and the replacement has been riding with us for years now. It also serves to provide the AC to power the laptop and many other things as it has a lot of reserve power.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

There are SO MANY modified sine wave inverters on the market, how do you know if any of them are any good ! They all come from China. Many have identical cases so I bet the internals are the same, just different labels. Even it the case is the same, doesn't mean the internals are different.

(Yes, I WANT modified sine wave. I have my reasons, with cost being a big one.)

I know you are going to take a lot of abuse on this request but sadly there is a lot of folks scared to death by well meaning folks who judge MSW inverters by the cheapo junk stuff like Harbor Freight and other cheapo imports.

If you are really serious, skip the cheapos, spend a few more nickles and go with Tripplite Inverters.

Mainly in your case, Tripp Lite Power Industrial Inverter PV2000FC

With 4,000W Surge, they do not come cheap at $400 but it WILL outperform any other MSW out there.

This inverter is built ground up to handle heavy inductive motor startup loads. I have the smaller cousin PV1250FC to run my home fridge conversion and it handles that perfectly fine, fridge starts and runs quietly.

PV2000FC At AMAZON

[image]

2000W Continuous

4,000W Surge DoubleBoost Feature

Tripp Lite Inverters deliver up to twice their nameplate rated wattage for up to 10 seconds, providing the extra power needed to cold start heavy-duty tools and equipment. This is the ONLY inverter that I am aware of that can handle twice the rated power for TEN SECONDS, most inverters only handle the surge for MICROSECONDS!

OverPower Feature
Tripp Lite Inverters deliver up to 150% of their name plate rated wattage for up to 1 hour, providing plenty of reserve power to reliably support tools and equipment longer. (3000W in the case of PV2000FC)

Manual HERE

With this amount of surge current, you WILL NEED to use the MAX wire gauge that will fit the terminals which is 2/0 and keep the 12V wiring as short as possible!

I should also add, this inverter IS remote capable, you can buy an optional remote to turn the inverter on/off plus it has status info on the battery and inverter load. Pricy at around $120 for the remote, it allows you to mount the inverter as close as possible to the batteries.

This inverter also has a power save feature you can adjust which will automatically turn on/off with load demand which I use for my home fridge conversion to save battery Ahrs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Decent inexpensive modified sine wave inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.