Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Decent inexpensive modified sine wave inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Decent inexpensive modified sine wave inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's one way I judge: price. YGWYPF... almost every time.

Cheaper ones are more likely to have noisy fans that run all the time. Even the cheapest auto parts store ones will work, for a while, but if you want something you don't have to replace in 3 years, spend the money. More expensive products aren't a conspiracy. And since you're looking at big wattage, it's likely the real cheap ones won't live up to those ratings.

Other than that, weight will tell you about quality. The internals are NOT the same.

* This post was edited 06/27/20 10:37am by 2oldman *

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Cheaper ones are more likely to have noisy fans that run all the time. Even the cheapest auto parts store ones will work, for a while, but if you want something you don't have to replace in 3 years, spend the money. More expensive products aren't a conspiracy. And since you're looking at big wattage, it's likely the real cheap ones won't live up to those ratings.

Other than that, weight will tell you about quality. The internals are NOT the same.

X2, and add to that pf in the form of heat and motor winding abuse...Surge ratings (by themselves) are mostly provided to sell marginal inverters - they are of little value whatsoever unless they are accompanied by DURATION - this is where ‘value’ begins and is all too often why inverters that seemingly have the same advertised capability (NOT!) have drastically different cost...

Just another ugly example of why there’s no free lunch...

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty hard to beat Triplite.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Tripplite PV2000..

Product Dimensions 16.26 x 8.5 x 7.24 inches
Item Weight 42 pounds

Compare that to HF "Jupiter" brand 2000W inverter HERE which is:

Product Height
3-1/2 in.
Product Length
10-1/2 in.
Product Weight
6.63 lb.

Product Width
9-5/8 in.
Shipping Weight
7.63 lb.

Yeah, That HF is a feather weight compared to the Tripplite.. There IS a reason why the Tripplite weights more, it is built like a tank..

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I have to disagree. I was a loyal Triplite client until I bought a UPS that with that name on it. After about four years the internal battery went bad. I tried to decase the unit to replace it. I could not figure out how that would not break some plastic, so I called them and was told that the UPS (not cheap one) was not a serviceable unit. It was intended to be scrapped. I didn't do that, I did buy an APC replacement and the Triplite is in my shop in pieces so I can salvage small parts from it.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I have to disagree. I was a loyal Triplite client until I bought a UPS that with that name on it. After about four years the internal battery went bad. I tried to decase the unit to replace it. I could not figure out how that would not break some plastic, so I called them and was told that the UPS (not cheap one) was not a serviceable unit. It was intended to be scrapped. I didn't do that, I did buy an APC replacement and the Triplite is in my shop in pieces so I can salvage small parts from it.

Matt

UPS units and inverter units are two distinctively different categories.

I have had BOTH APC AND TRIPPLITE UPS units.

The older APC units were good, but the newer APC units do not hold a candle to Tripplite. I have had to scrap several 3 and 4 yr old APCs because of some failure on the mainboard and yet the Tripplites just replace the batteries and go another 4 yrs.

UPS units are a compromise between power, runtime, size, they are not battery efficient and the footprint limits the size of battery. Early UPS units used Gel batteries, newer units come with AGMs, I have noticed less battery life with the AGMs overall, three-four yrs vs the older Gel cells which often got me five to six yrs of life.

I also had to scrap a couple of APC units because they would not play well with my backup power generator and replaced those with Tripplites which have no issue with being inline with a backup generator.

I have worked also with Minuteman UPS units and some other brands which worked reasonably well as long as you understand that a UPS is designed solely to supply you enough power to safely shut down your PC(s) or other equipment in the event of a long term power outage or in a short term power surge/sag to ride out that even for a few seconds.

The Tripplite inverter I posted IS designed for the long haul, it WILL run as long as you have enough external battery capacity. At 42 pounds it is a heavy duty beast, well built and well designed and not your average run of the mill inverter. Yes, you do pay a price upfront, but in the end will outlast the cheap China imports under heavy duty use.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree!
But fussy me likes PSW. With a group 31 dedicated Lifeline battery and Megawatt I have a poor man's UPS. I chose a Samlex PSW because long ago the MSW inverters created distracting visual artifacts on my monitors.

Is this still the case?

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I agree!
But fussy me likes PSW. With a group 31 dedicated Lifeline battery and Megawatt I have a poor man's UPS. I chose a Samlex PSW because long ago the MSW inverters created distracting visual artifacts on my monitors.

Is this still the case?

I run a Tripplite 1300W MSW UPS on my 50" TV and Dish DVR system with no artifacts in the screen when the UPS switches to battery. Even if there was, it is well worth running that UPS to protect the TV and Sat receiver from power issues..

I have run stereos, TVs, drills, refrigerators, lights of all types from MSW but once again, the quality of the inverter comes into play here.. I am not running Harbor Freight, Cobra or any other cheap import off brands..

Tripplite DOES make PSW UPS and inverter units if it makes you feel and sleep better, but they do cost more upfront.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mex,

I only run laptops and with MSW there were no visual artifacts. The power bricks did run hotter. Apple laptops do NOT play well with MSW, letting out the magic blue smoke.

My Cobra 2500 watt msw was a workhorse in my RV. I had zero problems with running fans or the microwave. It would run the roof air--but I decided that was perhaps unwise so it was only done as a test.

I moved to a hybrid inverter/charger because I thought I'd be getting voltage support. Unfortunately load support is NOT voltage support. That was solved with a Sola Basic autoformer. I do love the load support feature.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Trip Lite fan here
Used one I the Safari DP for years
New owner is still using it

2400w continuous 4800w surge

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Decent inexpensive modified sine wave inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.