cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poll: How many 1T TC haulers have no modifications?

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Poll: How many 1T TC haulers have not modifyed their suspension?

Interested in hearing from those that are using their SRW or DRW 1T truck STOCK without any modifications to haul their TC.

EDIT: I should add context. After reading this and other TC Forums for years I've come to the conclusion that just about EVERYONE mods their truck to better carry their TC. (even the 450x and 550x folks but for this poll they don't count, I'm only interested in 1T truck owners with TC)

This is what lead me to ask: who does NOT modify their truck to carry their TC?

Thanks in advance,

- Mark0.
39 REPLIES 39

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
mbloof wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Upper stableloads, Bilstein shocks, and load range "E" tires.....4,500lb TC loaded and ready to camp. 12 years and 55K+.

I was looking for unmodified trucks my friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

- Mark0.

stock it was fine but sat dead level.......this is completely stock.

So you can be counted as one of the few.

I used my new 2017 stock for ~100miles. (that was ENOUGH!)

- Mark0.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Upper stableloads, Bilstein shocks, and load range "E" tires.....4,500lb TC loaded and ready to camp. 12 years and 55K+.

- Mark0.

stock it was fine but sat dead level.......this is completely stock.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I did run a arctic fox 1140 on a stock 2011 Ram 3500 and then it went on a 2016 stock Ram 3500. I then traded for a Host mammoth and ran it on the stock 2016 Ram 3500. I wanted to pull a trailer at times so I traded for a 2018 Ram 5500. I ran the Host on it, all stock!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
For clarification, do you consider shocks to be a modification or not? They replace a stock part with an equivalent or better but since they are also a wear item you could consider them just replacements. The same question goes for the tires I suppose.

As I mentioned above, I did replace the shocks and eventually the tires but with no major notable difference with the shocks and the tires were the same size and load rating as the worn out OEM tires.

I'm of the thinking that 'wear items' are just that. If they wore out and you replaced them then you are not modifying your truck.

In my case the OEM tires were boarder line at best and underrated at worse. I upgraded them and count that as a modification.

- Mark0.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Dodge dually hauling a 2001 Lance 1030. The truck has 208k miles so we did replace the shocks. But everything else is stock. It handles great.
I think our camper is around 4000lbs loaded up ready to roll.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigfoot 2500 on a Dodge/Cummins DRW. No mods to drivetrains/suspension - none needed.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from a sway bar and Rancho shocks our Ram is stock.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
For clarification, do you consider shocks to be a modification or not? They replace a stock part with an equivalent or better but since they are also a wear item you could consider them just replacements. The same question goes for the tires I suppose.

As I mentioned above, I did replace the shocks and eventually the tires but with no major notable difference with the shocks and the tires were the same size and load rating as the worn out OEM tires.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
2007 1T DRW Chevy with 2500# Okanagan camper. No mods all stock. Previously on a 2500 gas with Rancho stocks and airbags. Lots of rock and roll. 1T DRW fixed everything.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:

- Mark0.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Top tip: post what your camper is and what non-modified truck you haul it on.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbloof wrote:
otrfun wrote:
mbloof, in the context of your question, isn't knowing the weight/size of the truck camper also important?

I think it goes without saying, the heavier the truck camper the more likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

The lighter the truck camper the less likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

There's a massive difference between hauling a 1,500 lb. popup truck camper and a 5,000 lb. double slide truck camper.
Actually the size and model of camper is meaningless.

As consumer trucks are a engineering compromise of use cases and while we would like to think that camper hauling is a 'large' use case, it is actually one of the smaller ones.

It is my theory that just about everybody makes modifications to their truck to carry a camper. (not including the required tie downs and optional extra 7-pin connector)

Given the world wide nature of this forum and the dismal responses of folks that don't modify their trucks, I'll claim that it is rare that a truck owner does NOT modify their truck for truck camper hauling duty.

- Mark0.
Wow, you kinda lost me. Maybe you were trying to confirm the obvious? Regardless, hope you find the info you're looking for ๐Ÿ™‚

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
mbloof, in the context of your question, isn't knowing the weight/size of the truck camper also important?

I think it goes without saying, the heavier the truck camper the more likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

The lighter the truck camper the less likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

There's a massive difference between hauling a 1,500 lb. popup truck camper and a 5,000 lb. double slide truck camper.

Actually the size and model of camper is meaningless.

As consumer trucks are a engineering compromise of use cases and while we would like to think that camper hauling is a 'large' use case, it is actually one of the smaller ones.

It is my theory that just about everybody makes modifications to their truck to carry a camper. (not including the required tie downs and optional extra 7-pin connector)

Given the world wide nature of this forum and the dismal responses of folks that don't modify their trucks, I'll claim that it is rare that a truck owner does NOT modify their truck for truck camper hauling duty.

- Mark0.