Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Poll: How many 1T TC haulers have no modifications?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Poll: How many 1T TC haulers have no modifications?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my unmodified 2014 F350 SRW to haul my 1991 10' slumber queen. have no complaints so far.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2015 Ram 3500 4x4, mega cab, SRW, Hemi, factory air suspension, zero mods. Haul a 2012 Ascent S85RS by Chalet with no issues, but it will lean in the corners a bit. It has no rear sway bar because of the factory air suspension. Now that hellwig has a sway bar for it I may add one. This camper really needs to be on a dually, just under 5000k ready to camp, but I’m to cheap to spend the money!

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. I was hoping for a greater response.

As an example, in the Facebook Northernlite Forum where I was able to poll the same question (with greater granularity) the responses so far are out of 90 users (that responded) 44 are using 1T trucks without any modifications to haul their NL.

- Mark0.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used my truck stock for two years with no mods other then new shocks. Since I have added a sway bar.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof, in the context of your question, isn't knowing the weight/size of the truck camper also important?

I think it goes without saying, the heavier the truck camper the more likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

The lighter the truck camper the less likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

There's a massive difference between hauling a 1,500 lb. popup truck camper and a 5,000 lb. double slide truck camper.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ No, let's not add empirical limitations to this and make it anywhere near useful information....
This poll was just out of boredom or something....idk.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

mbloof, in the context of your question, isn't knowing the weight/size of the truck camper also important?

I think it goes without saying, the heavier the truck camper the more likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

The lighter the truck camper the less likely someone will modify their 1-ton truck to haul it.

There's a massive difference between hauling a 1,500 lb. popup truck camper and a 5,000 lb. double slide truck camper.

Actually the size and model of camper is meaningless.

As consumer trucks are a engineering compromise of use cases and while we would like to think that camper hauling is a 'large' use case, it is actually one of the smaller ones.

It is my theory that just about everybody makes modifications to their truck to carry a camper. (not including the required tie downs and optional extra 7-pin connector)

Given the world wide nature of this forum and the dismal responses of folks that don't modify their trucks, I'll claim that it is rare that a truck owner does NOT modify their truck for truck camper hauling duty.

- Mark0.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

otrfun wrote:

Actually the size and model of camper is meaningless.

As consumer trucks are a engineering compromise of use cases and while we would like to think that camper hauling is a 'large' use case, it is actually one of the smaller ones.

It is my theory that just about everybody makes modifications to their truck to carry a camper. (not including the required tie downs and optional extra 7-pin connector)

Given the world wide nature of this forum and the dismal responses of folks that don't modify their trucks, I'll claim that it is rare that a truck owner does NOT modify their truck for truck camper hauling duty.

- Mark0.
Wow, you kinda lost me. Maybe you were trying to confirm the obvious? Regardless, hope you find the info you're looking for [emoticon]

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Top tip: post what your camper is and what non-modified truck you haul it on.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upper stableloads, Bilstein shocks, and load range "E" tires.....4,500lb TC loaded and ready to camp. 12 years and 55K+.

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Poll: How many 1T TC haulers have no modifications?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.