cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage space vs phoney fireplace.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
We want to remove the fireplace from our 2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar. This rig has precious little storage. We won't get much use out of this "fireplace" and that cavern behind it would make a great cabinet!
Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' TT
2020 Silverado 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift bags.
38 REPLIES 38

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jpmyers wrote:
That's an excellent idea Me Again. I like the addition of the reinforcement pad. Our OEM configuration has a 2x2 across the width for both struts to attach to and it is pulling out. I'll try changing the angle and adding re-pads as you have.

Thanks again for the tip Me Again.

I put a ample amount of glue on the pad and then used my 1/4" air crown stapler with quite a few staples to help attach and hold them until the glue dried. Just make sure you mount them inboard of the side rails of the base. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
That's an excellent idea Me Again. I like the addition of the reinforcement pad. Our OEM configuration has a 2x2 across the width for both struts to attach to and it is pulling out. I'll try changing the angle and adding re-pads as you have.

Thanks again for the tip Me Again.
Jerry & Pamela

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jpmyers wrote:
Anyone know of upgraded struts or a powered lift for the under bed compartment?

We have both a 2017 5th wheel and a 2019 TT. The bed in the TT lifted easily and the 5th wheel was terrible. I got looking at how the struts were mounted and reversed the angle on the 5th wheel ones and guess what, the bed is much easier to lift.

OEM position:

Remounted:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
Then perhaps I'll put the extra storage idea back in play...
Jerry & Pamela

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
jpmyers wrote:
We've had cause to use the "Fireplace" a few times and it does perform well. And it entertains the cats a bit.

I've scrapped the idea of removing the fireplace altogether. Also scrapped is the notion of creating access to the cavernous area behind the fireplace. My thoughts are that space would have a tendency to become too warm, if not hot, for safe storage of anything.

Comments?

As long as there is venting to allow the drawing in of replacement air I donโ€™t see an issue. We took a blanked off space where our water pump is located and installed a electric fireplace. Seems to work great, and when on 50 amp service now have 6,500 watts of electric heat.
This is about 22,165 BTU, the 30,000 BTU gas furnace at 80% is 24,000 BTU.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
We've had cause to use the "Fireplace" a few times and it does perform well. And it entertains the cats a bit.

I've scrapped the idea of removing the fireplace altogether. Also scrapped is the notion of creating access to the cavernous area behind the fireplace. My thoughts are that space would have a tendency to become too warm, if not hot, for safe storage of anything.

Comments?
Jerry & Pamela

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a difference between the built in electric heater & the fake fireplace above it. Of course the heater works. The fake fireplace is nothing more than a night light bulb inside a gismo that projects the fake fire on a screen.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We love our fireplace too. It heats the main room, and is MUCH more quiet than the furnace...there is a wall unit which adequately heats our bedroom....so we rarely need the furnace - saving propane.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not a phoney fireplace. Our fireplace actually heats the room it's in. We love it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
Then I think I will look more in depth on turning the PF into a hidden compartment. I will find resources to help me with that.

NEXT QUESTION: We have "Thomas Payne" seating and have this far been unable to find any of the "TV Trays" that pop into the arms of these units. Any suggestions for finding these?
Jerry & Pamela

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We originally thought they were silly, until we had one, now wouldn't be without one.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever use it, you will miss it for sure. I didnโ€™t think we would use ours but here in the north Georgia mountains, even in summer we use it to knock off the morning chill.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
jpmyers wrote:
We want to remove the fireplace from our 2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar. This rig has precious little storage. We won't get much use out of this "fireplace" and that cavern behind it would make a great cabinet!

Since most campsites we go to include unlimited electricity we use the fireplace to heat the camper instead of expensive propane. I would reconsider leaving the fireplace for that reason and carry less stuff with you

Same here , we are nearly 40 miles from the nearest propane source , and that fireplace gets used a lot on the RV parks dime ,not mine. Its one of two things either we haul an electric heater , or a built in fireplace. I will take take the phoney fireplace .

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
I've thought about that option. I may go that route I can get the wife to buy into it.
Jerry & Pamela