Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Storage space vs phoney fireplace.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Storage space vs phoney fireplace.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we're retired and travel for many summer months we carry a lot for convience and comfort. We don't have to have a BBQ and Smoker but enjoy both and no doubt other stuff that we could shed.

Now my garage definitely has unnecessary junk but I never know the needs of my next project...[emoticon]

And we did shed the useless CareLess awning in the wind last summer!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

FlatBroke wrote:

We had to with Fire places, current one without. We miss the fire place. Storage? Looked all the stuff We had and to about half off it out. I’ve got A lot of empty cabinets.

Kind of the point I was making, all the unnecessary junk we haul. I wouldn't give up my fireplace to haul more STUFF . We use our fireplace a lot, it puts out more heat then some of those space heaters, has a blower on it. Then you are faced with a space to put the space heater ,mostly like in the space where the fireplace was [emoticon]

Come to think about that space IS where our two heaters are stored. [emoticon]

It only makes sense. [emoticon] For us there is just no way I'm pulling that fireplace for anything. We spend a good portion of the summer in Montana. The temperature this morning was 40 degrees as it is many mornings here. On goes the fireplace nearly every morning. It rained all day yesterday ,and was chilly all day, all was needed was the fireplace.

Our fireplace is far from phoney as far as heat, its actually quite an electric heater with blower .

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big problem with a fireplace is is it does not heat any better or any more than the 1500 Watt ceramic heater. With the ceramic heater I can move it from one end of the trailer to the other.

For reference, 1500 Watts is 5100 BTUH and that is all you will get from a 15 amp plug on 120 Volts.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

johndeerefarmer

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jpmyers wrote:

We want to remove the fireplace from our 2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar. This rig has precious little storage. We won't get much use out of this "fireplace" and that cavern behind it would make a great cabinet!

Since most campsites we go to include unlimited electricity we use the fireplace to heat the camper instead of expensive propane. I would reconsider leaving the fireplace for that reason and carry less stuff with you

2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflections 220rk & 29rs

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about putting hinges on one side of the Fire Place and a latch on the other, build your storage behind it in the current dead space and have the best of both worlds.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jpmyers

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've thought about that option. I may go that route I can get the wife to buy into it.

Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' Tag-A-Long
2020 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift air bags.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johndeerefarmer wrote:

jpmyers wrote:

We want to remove the fireplace from our 2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar. This rig has precious little storage. We won't get much use out of this "fireplace" and that cavern behind it would make a great cabinet!

Since most campsites we go to include unlimited electricity we use the fireplace to heat the camper instead of expensive propane. I would reconsider leaving the fireplace for that reason and carry less stuff with you

Same here , we are nearly 40 miles from the nearest propane source , and that fireplace gets used a lot on the RV parks dime ,not mine. Its one of two things either we haul an electric heater , or a built in fireplace. I will take take the phoney fireplace .

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you ever use it, you will miss it for sure. I didn’t think we would use ours but here in the north Georgia mountains, even in summer we use it to knock off the morning chill.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We originally thought they were silly, until we had one, now wouldn't be without one.

jpmyers

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then I think I will look more in depth on turning the PF into a hidden compartment. I will find resources to help me with that.

NEXT QUESTION: We have "Thomas Payne" seating and have this far been unable to find any of the "TV Trays" that pop into the arms of these units. Any suggestions for finding these?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Storage space vs phoney fireplace.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.