cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda generator question

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have 2 Honda EU200i portable generators, neither one is a 'companion'. is it possible to use an adaptor from the 110 to trailer cord and run the AC? can I connect the two and do the same?

any help is appreciated.
lets go!!
24 REPLIES 24

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I wonder what a 40A load would do ?
I suspect it would kick both generators offline since the maximum output of both together is 33-1/3 amps.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I built one of these using the factory Honda parallel cord and cut it in two and reconnected them at an rv 30 female plug. It works great, and is safe. I also think it cost more for me to do it than the one in this link.

SMART !

Sadly still no breaker protection. I wonder what a 40A load would do ?

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
Snip

and a link to a $30 unit.
Link
Another snip

I built one of these using the factory Honda parallel cord and cut it in two and reconnected them at an rv 30 female plug. It works great, and is safe. I also think it cost more for me to do it than the one in this link.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ever see an old Industrial Commercial electrician who was stupid?

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
$52.00 for a kit! Some years ago it seems that the Honda kit was in the $200 range? So building a kit was an economical solution, even the correct banana plugs could be bought or tennis balls added to household plugs to eliminate the Darwin feature.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Note that according this schematic there is NO CITRCUIT BTREAKER PROTECTING EITHER THE TWIST LOCK 30A OUTLET OR THE PARALLEL OPERATIONS OUTLET !

There doesnโ€™t need to be breakers because the generator (or generators) cannot put out enough current to exceed the capacity of those outlets.

The 20A receptacle has a breaker because parallel cables would allow up to 26A that would overload that receptacle.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
wnjj wrote:
The outlets are protected by a 20A breaker so thatโ€™s all youโ€™ll get by paralleling 2 non-companion models.
All you'll get? The generator is only rated at 13.2 a. Don't you get twice that max when paralleled.. otherwise what's the point?

If you only connect the parallel cables meant for use with a companion model then try to draw from one of the generatorโ€™s 20A receptacle, you may not get all 26.4A since the receptacle and its breaker are only rated for 20A. A parallel kit with a 30A receptacle as part of the parallel cables or a companion model avoids this limitation.

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
well, I can't seem to get a picture in here, but I have decided to go with the one on Amazon by Hutch Mountain. I think it is the one wnjj pointed out also.

Thanks everyone for the education.
lets go!!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Yes OP, this is covered in the owner's manual and youtube.

theoldwizard1 wrote:
I have to question the wiring BEHIND the outlet.
You don't have to question it if you google up the schematic.

Schematics do not show wire size. For 30A, it should be 10 AWG.

The only thing the schematic says is that the outlet is that the one outlet 125VAC @ 20A and the other is 125VAC @ 30A

Note that according this schematic there is NO CITRCUIT BTREAKER PROTECTING EITHER THE TWIST LOCK 30A OUTLET OR THE PARALLEL OPERATIONS OUTLET !

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a diy suicide cord for years. I don't have children, I don't get drunk, and my cat doesn't play with electrical cords. You plug them in before you start your generators. Pulling out one of these accidentally from a generator is a lot harder than some would lead you to believe.

A diy parallel kit might run you $25-$30, and if you wish you can expand it to 3 generators.

As always, do what you feel comfortable with.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
our posts apparently crossed. See my post above yours for an explanation. ๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
windinmyface2 wrote:

ps: why was it called a 'suicide' cord?

Using an energized cord with the male prongs exposed is a good way to win a Darwin award.

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses....much good info. I found on Amazon a setup that has the cables and 30 amp plug for the trailer in one unit. it has an inline fuse for safety. It is $86.00. and sounds like what wnjj is referring to.
Both of these generators are over 8-10 yrs old, and are, of course, 2000, not 200. lol.
the adventure continues....

ps: why was it called a 'suicide' cord?
lets go!!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes you can link (parallel) the two generators to power your AC unit, people have been doing it for years. Here's a link to a $50 parallel kit.
Link
and a link to a $30 unit.
Link
The kits are all basically the same so don't get too hung up on brand name.

There is a danger in paralleling the generators. If done incorrectly you can create a hazardous situation that could be potentially fatal. The good thing about the kits above is the plugs self seal if one of them gets somehow disconnected from the generator.

Do not go the cheap route of just plugging the two generators together through the household plugs. Doing so will also achieve what you want. But it creates what is appropriately called a suicide cord. The link below is an example of a suicide cord. You plug the ends of the cord into the generators and you get more power. But if one of the cords comes out it will be an exposed live wire. Thinking about camping there are quite a few reasons a plug might come undone. A toddler wandering around camp. A teenager playing a prank on their friend. Or maybe an adult who's had a few too many, stumbles and trips over the cord and lands on the exposed end. Below is a link to a suicide cord. While the cord in the link would not fit your generators, the idea is the same, just don't do it.
Link to a "suicide cord".
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup