Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 Ford Diesel 7.4 ??

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Any information on this engine to share?? Thanks

2002 Ford Diesel 7.4, sits in a Xcab LB SW...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
15 REPLIES 15

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same vehicle. Only reason I sold it was I wanted 4x4. An excellent vehicle . Check my profile to see what I did to it. Trans cooler most important. DP tuner was designed by Ford engineer, works great, Best for the 7.3.
toolmaker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
monkey44 wrote:
Yup, mistyped ๐Ÿ˜ž 7.3 RWD for city/rural towing in a small business - no heavy TT or 5'er ... just local 50-100 miles per trip few times a week. Hauling equipment. 134K miles on it ...

Ad long as you're prepared to keep a 20 year old truck running. Business use, time is money. May be great, may cost you as much as new truck in repairs and downtime.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 7.3 diesel is 444 cubic inches. It is an industrial strength engine, that is slightly overbuilt. It is pretty easy to get the hp over 300 which is plenty. Even with the 4 speed auto it is a good puller. I have 175k miles on mine and the auto trans is fine. The first brake job was at 140 k miles.
i have rebuilt the front end and the truck still drives like it is supposed to. No reason to sell it.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the rest of the truck is going to be old and will require maintenance as well. For me I've got a good mechanic and parts are inexpensive, others might not want to deal with any issues that may pop up from time to time. You got to keep in mind the newest 7.3 truck is almost 20 years old.

Will agree with others said about noise, they are loud even with stock exhaust. The automatics behind them were marginal as well for pulling heavy loads. They are capable of being built to handle it but another expense. I've got the six speed manual in my truck.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 7.3, great motor, that being said find something 2011+ with a 6.2 v8. If it is for a business, uptime and maintenance matter at the end of the month, not towing ability.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
134K miles on it ...

Just barely broken in ! ๐Ÿ˜‰

There are some expensive "typical" repair but they are mileage related than age related.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 7.3 is the only diesel that can stand up to the Cummins 5.9 24V in regards to sound/noise. I could wake everyone in a 600 site RV park in Arizona going for donuts Friday morning at 6AM, with my slightly bomb 2001.5 with Magnaflow SS 4" exhaust and muffler, stage one injectors, and a timing box.

Motor on, buy the 7.3. The last good Powerstroke.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
My daily driver and love it.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The new small Diesels in the half tons put out more power but like others will hang on to mine. Have one in a Excursion another in a F-250.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good engine, highly regarded.
Expect normal age related issues but the long blocks and major components are durable.
Theyโ€™re underpowered by todayโ€™s standards, pretty anemic actually, but easily and cheaply modified for a nice bump in power without sacrificing reliability
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I have one with over 250K.
Planning to keep it forever.
Still looks and rides like new, Always kept in climate controlled garage.
Not as quiet and powerful as the new ones but does what I need.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Yup, mistyped ๐Ÿ˜ž 7.3 RWD for city/rural towing in a small business - no heavy TT or 5'er ... just local 50-100 miles per trip few times a week. Hauling equipment. 134K miles on it ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean 7.3, you'd be hard pressed to find a better diesel. That and the 5.9 Cummins, in my book, are two of the best ever.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
7.3 diesels have lots of after market parts. I can suggest an air intake, 4 inch exhaust and a tuner. Mine is a hot rod.