cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is included in the tow package on 2019 infinity qx80.

rival178
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at an 2019 infinity qx80.

What is added from the standard vs the one with a towing package?

Do both versions (standard and tow) have the same towing capacity and payload?

Matt
8 REPLIES 8

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
From the research I did on the qx80 other then the hitch/ wiring itself there doesnt seem to be anything else added for a towing package.
Here is the 2019 Infinity towing guide

admin.owners.infinitiusa.com/content/manualsandguides/common/2019/2019-infiniti-towing-guide.pdf
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
GWolfe wrote:
You do know that the payload for each vehicle is listed on the drivers door right?

Maybe check out the Armada, it's what the Infinity is based on and may have a little higher payload rating.

The Armada has a different rear suspension though. It uses air-springs with active, cross-linked hydraulic campers, while the Armada has some very soft coil springs that are grossly under-damped. I don't know how that affects payload, but the QX80 handles cargo weight FAR better.

I was not aware of that, thanks.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
rival178 wrote:

Matt

True towing capacity is limited to the weakest link in the tow vehicle's overall ratings. In most cases, the weak link is payload.

Manufacturers advertised tow ratings and payloads are both generic "up to" numbers, and the owners manuals will often say no more than "when properly equipped".

You can calculate an approximate loaded trailer weight that puts the vehicle at it's max capacity by first, look at the tire / loading sticker (on driver door jamb). There will be a number for "max occupant / cargo weight" (AKA payload). Take that number and subtract the combined weight of passengers and cargo (everything you're going to stuff into the car) and 80 lbs for added hitch equipment. The remaining payload is available for carrying tongue weight from a trailer. Divide that remaining payload by .13. That will be a ball park number of what loaded trailer weight will put that tow vehicle at it's max capacity.

Depending on what options are installed on the vehicle, every one of them will have a unique payload number.

Note: Tongue weight is NOT a constant number. Depending on what gets loaded, where it gets loaded, grocery levels, and on board fluid levels, it goes up and down during every trip. Give yourself some wiggle room.

Here's a calculator that may help. http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
You do know that the payload for each vehicle is listed on the drivers door right?

Maybe check out the Armada, it's what the Infinity is based on and may have a little higher payload rating.

If you're replying to me, YES I know that the payload capacity is on a driver's door sticker.
What i was saying is that there is no standard payload number. It's specific to each vehicle, as equipped when it leaves the factory. Every little trim level feature or option will affect the payload capacity.
This requires the consumer to look at each vehicle's payload sticker individually. You won't find it on a brochure or a website, like you will a towing capacity number.
Which is why new trailer buyers get fooled into looking only at towing capacity numbers.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Probably not a lot of folks on here using Armadas and QX80s for towing.
Why not research the vehicle directly rather than polling the crowd?

And if the non to and tow package are advertised with the same towing capacity, the differences are going to be largely convienence related and not capability related.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:

The Armada has a different rear suspension though. It uses air-springs with active, cross-linked hydraulic dampers, while the Armada has some very soft coil springs that are grossly under-damped. I don't know how that affects payload, but the QX80 handles cargo weight FAR better.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rival178 wrote:

What is added from the standard vs the one with a towing package?

Matt

Payload isn't a standard number. it goes by how each vehicle is equipped. trim level, options and other things affect the payload capacity.
i'm willing to bet that its payload capacity is low, due to the heavy luxury bling and it being a SUV.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes