cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Places to stay from San Jose to Yellowstone

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I posted, work is always crazy busy for me, which is as much of a blessing and a curse at the same time.

I did manage to get reservations at Grant's Village for our truck and trailer (no hookups) in August and would like to hear from others that have traveled this route. We have a popup and love our trailer, but we also have a really nice tent & gear that we could take there in our Prius. I'm sure that we could make it in 2 days with the Prius, but not with the trailer. We're getting older, and we can't decide at 11 pm at night to drive somewhere like we used to. Oh, the good old days!

We'd be taking Hwy 80 to 93 through Twin Falls to 86. I don't know if we could make it to Winnemucca the first night and there seem to be very few places to stay along the way nearby.

If you've traveled this route I would be grateful for your comments.
3 REPLIES 3

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We live somewhat close (east bay, somewhat near the Delta). Typically when we head out that direction, we'll leave later in the day just to get out of California and stop in Verdi NV. Sometimes we stop at the Cabella's in Verdi and spend the night. There will be other RV's, campers, trailers, big rigs in the lot. In the morning, we'll take it easy, walk the dogs, buy some fudge, maybe other treats, then gas up. Last year, instead of making a long drive the 2nd day, we stopped in Elko at Iron Horse RV Park. This wasn't our first time staying at this location but it was our first time on the drive out. They also have a few small cottages but why spend the money if you already have an trailer or RV. The park is quiet and clean. It's not a far drive from Verdi, which gives you a lot of extra daylight to get back into the camping routine. If you forgot something, there are plenty of stores still open and worst case, you can order take out or go to a restaurant if you don't yet want to pull out the camp stove.
The following day, we attempted to get to American Falls, which isn't too far from Elko NV, for Sunday Mass but forgot about the time change. So instead of arriving 20- 30 minutes early, we were late. LOL. So, we walked the park and then drove to Jackson, via Teton Pass. I was pulling a long but lightweight 5th wheel so driving the pass wasn't a big deal. But, I wouldn't attempt it with Prius and a small trailer. BTW, there is camping close by to American Falls, ID (about 5 minutes away near the water).
From what I hear, people have good luck getting a campsite at Gros Ventre Campground. This year, we plan to drive out a few days early hoping to get a spot at this campground. I'm not too worried because we going late in the season.

FWIW, our preferred route when heading east still starts from in Verdi, but then we take 50 across Neveda towards Delta, Utah. Delta has the most amazing city park. It's small but beautiful. From there, we make our way to 70 and stop at Green River State Park (Utah). The bonus is that there is a fun coffee shop in town (Green River Coffee). Obviously, this is way out of the way if you are going to Yellowstone. But, it's a great route to Colorado.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
We liked Twin Falls 93 RV park for an overnight -- well located, safe, and quiet. Nothing fancy -- not a resort.

Thanks for the recommendation, it's in the right place and the price is good.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We liked Twin Falls 93 RV park for an overnight -- well located, safe, and quiet. Nothing fancy -- not a resort.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."