cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Code Reader to Buy ?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J on a W24 frame. Three times now over a 2 year period i have gotten the REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning. Thankfully turn off and turn back on and it goes away. The check engine light is on for one ignition cycle then disappears.

It is not practical for me to take MH to an auto parts store to get the codes read. So I want to buy a basic code reader to look at history and see what the fault was to give me a clue what to check.

I was amazed at the range of features and prices, some hand held and some bluetooth to phone app. I don't want to monitor anything while driving, not trying to assess engine performance, but do want error codes.

And I am assuming all OBD code readers plug in under Winn dash no problem, no adapter needed, right?

What reader do you folks suggest I consider?

Thanks in advance...

Safe camping
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
10 REPLIES 10

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Do all scanners have the ability to pull up historic fault codes?? Codes that have triggered a check engine light in the past but are now clear. That's my situation with my REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning. It happened last week but is now gone.

Or is this historic look back a feature I must look for that some models have, but not others?

Thanks
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
On my smart phone I have Torque (The Pro version) and I have a box that is an OBDII to Blue Tooth.. (NOTE THIS RIG IS A GASSER) have second adapter for my car

This is what I do too. I bought a $15 bluetooth ODBII adapter from Amazon and spent $5 for the Torque Pro app. It reads and clears codes as well as the real time vehicle data it reports. The Torque app provides links to find out more about the code(s) that are read.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
OBDII codes can be read at obdcodes.com.
I used my cheapy harbor freight unit to read the codes, then go online to figure out what the codes mean.

The ODBII Bluetooth adapter is another way to go. I have a buddy who runs it, with TORQUE on his iphone and is very happy with all the live info he gets from it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my smart phone I have Torque (The Pro version) and I have a box that is an OBDII to Blue Tooth.. (NOTE THIS RIG IS A GASSER) have second adapter for my car

The ones I have are the ones the TORQUE manual warns "Cheap E-bay may not work" or sure look like it. Work great (I had some that did not)

NOTE: TOrque on a Android Tablet makes a very nice "Glass Dash"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Get one that will read ABS and Transmission codes as well.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous motorhome was on a Workhorse chassis and would on occasion pull that stunt. Spent hours checking harness connections to no avail. Did notice it would happen more often (not always) when engaging or disengaging cruise. Turning it off and back on always cleared it. Don't remember the codes. Do remember they seemed unrelated to reduced power and were different each time. Our current Ford chassis rig has behaved much better.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
And I am assuming all OBD code readers plug in under Winn dash no problem, no adapter needed, right?

Correct, if your vehicles engine uses OBD-II ! Heavy Duty truck use something different.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small Bosch code reader. It displays the code number and an explanation describing the code. You can delete the code if you wish. It's worked well on 3 of my vehicles. It's been a few years, but I think it cost around $60 at O'Reilly's. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought about the cheapest meter I could find the first time, and while it did the job, it didn't show exactly what the codes meant. It just showed the codes and allowed you to delete them.

The one I have now, a Launch Creader VII, works very well, and tells you what the codes mean. Very handy. I paid less than $30 for it a few years ago. Since the newest vehicle I own is a 2013, I have no idea if it will work for the latest and greatest gadget loaded new vehicles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I know the Autel ones work. I have an ML 629 in my truck which also reads transmission codes. And a little 319 autel that I keep in the second car. It's a basic unit ansd seems to work fine.