cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to add a cable pass through/access in camper.

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add way to run cables into our camper which is a Forest River Wold Pub 16BHS.

I want to be able to run wires inside to a solar charger controller the back out to the battery, and also get coax cable/s into the camper, I like to run a scanner which requires an outdoor antenna, and will probably use a cell phone booster when cell phone reception is poor which also requires an outdoor antenna (I still need access to the outside world to run my business even while camping).

What would be the best way to do this so it is weather tight and looks professional?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

Can someone tell me or show me how one of these is installed?

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You don't really need any special boxes or conduits to get a wire through the roof. But if you have end connectors that you want to pass through large holes, or if you want several or more cables to pass through at one location, it might be the best way to do it.

But for a single cable, which you will add end connectors to after pulling, all you really need is a small hole and a dollop of Dicor. A drip loop is always recommended.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Use the term "roof cable entry gland" to search on ebay or other...

Have you looked at running wires through the refrigerator stack? I have run solar down that way, just make sure the wires to not invite water in and that the screen still keeps bugs out and does not cut the wire coating.

For coaxial cable you can use the outside wall plates to connect a cable on the outside and a cable on the inside, they should be water tight...

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
For my solar on the roof I drilled a hole large enough to install a PVP conduit and sealed the conduit to the roof with Dicor. It's been six years with no leaks.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we ran cables from the mast down into the cabin area of my sons' sailboat we used these Blue Sea Cable clams which worked great. They never leaked and were still on the boat when it was sold about 15 years later.
If you need larger ones, they sell those also.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you can go out the bottom of the trailer, water leaks are not much of a problem.

There are many types of hatches for going thru a wall, Google to find those products.