cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hey Michigan people, title and registration question

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a used trailer from private individual in Indiana many weeks ago. Of course we bought it during the pandemic shutdown, we are just dumb that way.

I cannot get a straight answer out of SOS. They say they are open now for vehicle registrations, but they do not define "vehicle", as in does that include recreational vehicles (or motor RV's) or just cars and trucks.

Has anyone from Michigan registered or title transferred of their trailer since June 1st?
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB
17 REPLIES 17

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Congrats on getting the trailer. Getting it Titled and Registered in MI. NOTE the Thing may say "Foreign" on the Title or reg (forget which).. (means you bought it out of state).

Or perhaps only folks like me see that (Retired police dispatcher 18 years retired).

I can tell you some days dealing with SOS has been... Interesting.. For the odds of them getting it 100% right ... not all that good.
I've had bad VINs and bad address (I have that right now on my motor home and will till October) and more... Tons of fun getting them to do it right.

The California DMV can top ANY State's "goofy" (clueless) Vehicle Registration / Driver's Licenses (etc.) office in the USA!!

And....the CHP and the DMV speak different languages to each other!
(NO translators available).

Best I've ever encountered was South Dakota - for a DL transfer (one state to another) and new vehicle registrations. Ten minutes total!
No exaggeration.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on getting the trailer. Getting it Titled and Registered in MI. NOTE the Thing may say "Foreign" on the Title or reg (forget which).. (means you bought it out of state).

Or perhaps only folks like me see that (Retired police dispatcher 18 years retired).

I can tell you some days dealing with SOS has been... Interesting.. For the odds of them getting it 100% right ... not all that good.
I've had bad VINs and bad address (I have that right now on my motor home and will till October) and more... Tons of fun getting them to do it right.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the SOS input. We were able to make an appointment using the 24 hour in advance system. Got in the next day. Went smoothly except that she couldn't find a 2019 Solitude 374TH on NADA and started telling me I may have to go get it weighed.

I don't think so.

I used my phone to find a 374th for sale on the net at a dealer that had the empty weight number that she needed. Then she found it on NADA (to be fair, NADA did have it off in its own little corner).

All is good (though poorer).
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We're a used-car dealer in Michigan: you'll need to make an appointment with the SOS, they are really backed up. Carry your bill of sale with you, the police are supposed to be *forgiving* regarding newly-purchased vehicles with expired or no plates.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

bsdunek
Explorer
Explorer
We took delivery of a motorhome June 1st. The plate and registration finally came June 25th. Still haven't gotten the title. The DMV's are closed and say you need a appointment. The on-line phone numbers don't work. The dealership did keep things going.
Took a trip out to Missouri to see a new Grandbaby on an expired temporary license. No problems.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Winged One wrote:
We purchased a used trailer from private individual in Indiana many weeks ago. Of course we bought it during the pandemic shutdown, we are just dumb that way.

I cannot get a straight answer out of SOS. They say they are open now for vehicle registrations, but they do not define "vehicle", as in does that include recreational vehicles (or motor RV's) or just cars and trucks.

Has anyone from Michigan registered or title transferred of their trailer since June 1st?
Buying used trailer during pandemic? Why is that dumb? What diff does it make if there's the Rona or not? He!!, I've sold 2 and bought 1 car since the Rona. Just luck of the draw...

But why ask us rather than calling or stopping by your dmv office? Are you saying they didn't give you a straight answer over the phone and then refused ot answer your question as to whether they'd register your trailer?

Contacting government offices in Michigan has been nearly impossible. Many times you are lucky just to get through to the menu. And when you do, you go through 5 minutes of prompts only to hear sorry all lines are busy please call again...click.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
As full-timers traveling, I can tell you that MI does not have the worst roads. There are many places with bads roads.

Branch county has some of the worst roads I've seen anywhere. Main roads are decent to good, but secondary roads, I actually think one can get brain damage from the jarring ride.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
As full-timers traveling, I can tell you that MI does not have the worst roads. There are many places with bads roads.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Winged One wrote:

Buying used trailer during pandemic? Why is that dumb? What diff does it make if there's the Rona or not? He!!, I've sold 2 and bought 1 car since the Rona. Just luck of the draw...

But why ask us rather than calling or stopping by your dmv office? Are you saying they didn't give you a straight answer over the phone and then refused ot answer your question as to whether they'd register your trailer?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, was there last week registering a new utility trailer. Everything is by appointment only.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the seller gave you the old title and a bill of sale, you're good to go.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
been to michigan couple times ,worse roads I have ever been on. glad I don,t live there. p.s our roads are just a tad better.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to the worst roads (I've been to New York)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
it's a vehicle title transfer. Make an appointment.

This came from a friend that's a SoS worker.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
been to michigan couple times ,worse roads I have ever been on. glad I don,t live there. p.s our roads are just a tad better.