cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monarch or Cottonwood

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
Which would be the easiest towing a36’ fifth wheel. Monarch pass or Cottonwood pass?
Cottonwood is now paved on the west side into Taylor park
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet
4 REPLIES 4

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We just went over Cottonwood and Monarch passes last Thursday. We just did a day trip to drive the newly paved Cottonwood Pass road. They have done a great job of widening the curves compared to the old gravel road. I wouldn't hesitate to take our fifth wheel over it now. My wife said that she would use it for business trips to Crested Butte instead of Monarch, if she were still working (love that retirement!).

If you need suggestions on routes, campgrounds, or sights in that area, see the US 285 and US 50 posts on my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info guys
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Which would be the easiest towing a36’ fifth wheel. Monarch pass or Cottonwood pass?

The clear answer is: Monarch would definitely be easier for any RV. I would not hesitate to tow my 35' fifth-wheel over Cottonwood Pass, but Monarch is on US 50, has only a few switch-backs near the summit, has wide lanes and many passing lanes. Monarch is a major pass, but not a difficult pass. I consider it routine.

And, BTW, I love Taylor Park and the Taylor drainage. I even loved the old unpaved road down from Cottonwood Pass. We have stayed on Spring Creek many times over the years.

And edit to say, We will be coming through Wichita Falls on Saturday, July 4, on our way to Colorado. That is a well beaten path for us.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Monarch IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad