cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I connect my sewer line when camping?

someuser001
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard different things about this. When I am camping at a spot which has electricity, water and sewer, I have been told to just connect the electricity and water. I have been told to connect the sewer when i am leaving to clean out as normal.

What is your opinion?
32 REPLIES 32

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I always hook up the sewer line even before putting out the slides since the outlet (and even the pull handles for the dump valves) are under the bedroom slide and a real pain to get to. Why they didn't at least put the pull handles somewhere else is beyond me.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4 pages on this scintillating topic....wow!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We never ask for a FHU site. They tend to be close together & we don't have any interest in the smell, our own or the neighbours.

As needed dump on the way out otherwise don't even get the hose out.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
Aside from all the people that can go 5 weeks without dumping, I think common sense is what you need. We purchased our trailer so we could travel with it and enjoy the amenities. Staying overnight we might not hook up and simply move down the road.

When we actually camp in place for two nights or more, I hook up and never, never leave the black valve open. I will leave the gray tank open so we can take showers and such. There is no need to worry about "tank flies" getting into your trailer. The gray tank is protected via P traps at all fixtures.

The day before we leave I will close the gray tank so that it can fill when we disconnect. At times I have to leave a faucet run to make sure it is full. I will also open the flush valve to make sure the black tank is full or close to full before dumping.

+1.......
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Connect and leave your valves closed until you are ready to dump it. Of course, this also depends on how long you are staying. Me -- I shower every day. We don't let the grey run as we want to use it when it's time to do the black and rinse the hose with it. In between a full dump if the grey gets full, all it takes is pulling a handle and pushing it back in when done.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm going to dump during my stay, then I'll hook up upon arrival. Hate to be in at day three to find out that there is some problem with the hookup in the site, rather set everything up at the beginning to find out any issues (same for electric and water).

I too leave gray open, black closed. then close gray the day before leaving to make sure there's enough water to flush the hose after dumping the black.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aside from all the people that can go 5 weeks without dumping, I think common sense is what you need. We purchased our trailer so we could travel with it and enjoy the amenities. Staying overnight we might not hook up and simply move down the road.

When we actually camp in place for two nights or more, I hook up and never, never leave the black valve open. I will leave the gray tank open so we can take showers and such. There is no need to worry about "tank flies" getting into your trailer. The gray tank is protected via P traps at all fixtures.

The day before we leave I will close the gray tank so that it can fill when we disconnect. At times I have to leave a faucet run to make sure it is full. I will also open the flush valve to make sure the black tank is full or close to full before dumping.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We never hookup in a campsite. We only have a bathroom that gets wet when showering so we use campground showers and swimming pools. Dear wife and I can go 5 days between dumps and water refills. Solar provides all the electricity we need in a climate that rarely gets too warm so no need to run air conditioning.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only have a 15 gallon grey tank, you better believe I've got a hose attached if I have full hookups!
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
BIG dittos!:

brianosaur wrote:
I always connect and leave the hose on because if we have sewer we are staying for a few days.

Gray tank always open with a p-trap bend in the hose to prevent gas back flow. I want to shower like a homeowner and not a sailor when possible.

Black tank has to remain closed until ready to dump. A dry/empty black tank will never evacuate solids properly and it will all just sit there and stink like an outhouse. You need to have it 1/4 full minimum with water at all times to let the solids submerge, keep the odor down and not get rock hard. Dump when full, add water and repeat.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I usually don't hook it up until I need to, then leave it hooked up. But IMO, it's not a good idea to leave the gray water valve open. Why? Because even though you may be wiping dishes/pans out with paper towels before washing in the sink, there is still food waste that will sit on the bottom of your tank when the water runs out. Better to let it sit/float in water - besides, how big of a deal is it to open a dump valve when the tank is full? We use paper plates a lot but still use paper towels to wipe out pans before washing.

Secondly, when leaving camp, it is a good idea to dump the black tank first, then the gray which will rinse the hose of any particles that will be left behind.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We've been RVing for over 40 years and never gave much thought to your question! If we are stopping for just 1 night, we rarely hook up the sewer, unless we needed to dump, of course. Any longer than 2 nights, it's always hooked up in the beginning and we leave the grey water open - until the night before we are leaving so there is some water to help clean the black tank excess in the hose.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I hook it up then run the tank sprayer for a while to clean it out

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
For the most part . I set up right away to get it over with. If its a short stay that I don't need to dump obviously I won't set it up.
If weather is bad on arrival I may wait for better conditions.
Sooner or later it needs to be done so I generally just get it over with when I arrive
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide